Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Concept Cars

Default 32 Roadster tack rail fit & dimensions

Hi,
I'm restoring an original '32 roadster body where a previous owner welded metal over the areas where the wood tack strip was, including welding to the quarter panels. I was able to clean up most of the areas and return them to stock, except the corners, I can't find the edge where the newer metal met the original metal or understand if some of the original metal was cut. My goal is to return these areas to stock/original configurations.
1.) Could someone share the measurement from the door opening edge, along the top of the quarter panel to the place where the wood tack strip begins?
2.) Can anyone post some pictures of the intersection of the wood tack strip and the quarter panel so I can see how it was originally shaped?
Thank you!
Concept Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 32 Roadster tack rail fit & dimensions

I'm away from my old car stuff at present so I cannot provide you with any dimensions. The photo below may be helpful. The ends of an original tack rail inserted into pockets formed in the upper quarter panel sheet metal by about 3/4" (reduced in cross sectionsize to fit, of course). The sheet metal beneath the ends of the tack rail dips sharply downward to accommodate the insertion.

Recently Brookville began offering this original upper quarter panel configuration as an option. Previously all they (and every other reproduction body builder) offered was a pocket-less smooth transition in the sheet metal from door opening to door opening with the tack rail perched above without the significant dip in the corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010096.jpg (68.3 KB, 100 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Concept Cars

David,
Thank you! Your picture is a little dark, but your explanation helpful, I appreciate it.
I'm really hoping someone will reply with the tack rail "pocket dimensions" since I need to fabricate that area and want it as close to original as possible. Thank you again!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
DavidG

Here's a few more. In the first of an untouched standard, note the slight rise in the top of the quarter panel approaching the pocket. The second is of the same dark car as in my photo above. In the last, what is shown is a copy the original engineering drawing for the quarter panel. If you want me to e-mail a copy of this drawing so that you may enlarge it to view the various dimensions shown, please PM your e-mail address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971-1.jpg (62.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 1513.jpg (45.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 1501.jpg (52.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Flathead Fever

I'll try and stop by my dad's house today and measure his original '32 Roadster body for you. If I can remember to do it?

I bought a Brookville body when they first started selling them. At that time I asked them why they were not notching the body for the tack strip? They told me the hot rodders all want them smooth. SoCal Speed shop was modifying them to look original but it was big bucks.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
Krylon32

Brookville has started offering a body with the original style tack strip pockets and wood. It's usually combined with an original style dash, seat risers, floor and outside handles. I think it adds about a grand to the price?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Concept Cars

Thank you, I'd really appreciate the dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
I'll try and stop by my dad's house today and measure his original '32 Roadster body for you. If I can remember to do it?

I bought a Brookville body when they first started selling them. At that time I asked them why they were not notching the body for the tack strip? They told me the hot rodders all want them smooth. SoCal Speed shop was modifying them to look original but it was big bucks.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
Flathead Fever

I ran into a problem. Its been so long since I've looked at my dad's'32 roadster I forgot it had that hot rod upholstery covering the cutout for the wood. The upholstery is sandwiched so tight between the wood strip and the cutout I could just barely catch the edge with the tape.

I use those original engineering drawings David has!

You can see in the picture that it measured 11 9/16". That's on the passenger side. I could not get the upholstery pushed back far enough to get the tape hooked on the driver's side. That cutout in the body angles from top to bottom. The measurement depends on where you measure it. It would be better to get the measurements off a body without the upholstery in the way so you can get a good look at it.

On the driver's side, you can see the measurement from the front edge of the quarter panel to the bottom of the cutout. The bottom of the notch is further back than the top of the notch is.

Looking at that cutout, it looks like it is cutdown to where the body line around the back of the wood strip maintains the same width at the bottom of the cutout.

I would not cut anything until you can get a better view of that cutout. I do have photos of a couple different original '32 roadster cutouts with the orignal wood strip in place. I have so many roadster photos on CDs that I don't where those photos are at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190211_153051.jpg (19.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_153042.jpg (17.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_153614.jpg (24.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_153319.jpg (21.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_153130.jpg (45.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
Concept Cars

Thank you for those dimensions! The cut on my car has been made and probably wrong, I'm going to have to put metal back to make it right. I can't open David's print to see the dimensions, but I understand what you mean about how the opening is angled; smaller at the top (11-9/16" to door edge) then at the base which looks like about 12" to door edge. I really appreciate your time on this, thank you so very much!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
DavidG

Be careful; that measurement on the driver's side is only to the forward edge of the triangular-shaped recessed area in the sheet metal where the finishing tip of the welting at the bottom of the wood belt rail nests. The actual end of the sheet metal is further back (see my center photo above). The welting tips in the group of five photos are not in their original position.

The photos below of a standard roadster with its original top, upholstery, and paint give an idea of that triangular-shaped recess for the welting tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1992-1.jpg (66.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1996-1.jpg (54.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #11
Concept Cars

David,
Thanks you for the pictures, they are helpful.
I see how the opening is triangular shaped. I'm thinking two dimensions would confirm the angles. Also, that the inside is straight up.
a.) the dimension along the top of the quarter, from the door opening to the edge of the sheet metal. This would be the longer dimension.
b.) the dimension along the side of the quarter, from the door opening to the corner, just before the welting hole. That would be the shorter dimension.
It appears the transition from the top to around the side is a radius.
With these two dimensions, I should have what I need to reconstruct that area.
Thank you again, Jeff
Old 02-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #12
DavidG

Jeff,

Hopefully some one will an original roadster without upholstery on the wood tack rail or better yet, without the tack rail installed.

In addition to serving as a termination point for the welting tip, the depressed section of sheet metal also is where the welting tip is attached, namely through a hole in the triangular sheet metal and on into the side of the end of the portion of the tack rail wood that is inserted into the 'pocket'.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 AM   #13
Flathead Fever

I found a few more photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03207 - Copy.jpg (36.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05156 copy.jpg (32.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03198 - Copy.jpg (53.5 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-13-2019 at 02:56 AM.