Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
pinball73

Question 1929 transmision

ok guys, when I get to thinking about things , I usually get into trouble! I rebuilt the transmission in my 1929 two door sedan a year ago & it has not been right sense! I have read about getting new but bad main shaft & cluster bearings! thinking about going back it to see if this is the case. hear is where it gets dangerous! I am wondering if it is possible to either put 32 or later gears in my case, so it would have synchronized gears? or can I possibly use a complete later model transmission in it! can it be done & what will I get into if I try this?
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: 1929 transmision

If I remember right ford did not g synchro until 39. And that would require a totally different case.

Mike
Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
J Franklin

A synchro trans is available from vendors if you must have synchros. What problems are you having with your existing box?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Patrick L.

I don't believe you can install later model synchro parts in the A box. Ford's first synchro started in '32 [from what I remember] with changes until '39 which is the preferred early box. And there are adapters available to install these transmissions.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
A synchro trans is available from vendors if you must have synchros. What problems are you having with your existing box?
I got it all back together & I ended up with a little noise in first gear, I can live wit that. you go to second gear & I have a little more noise, not bad until you let off the gas & then it sounds like there is sort of a grinding, as best as I can explain it! then you go to third & all noise seems to go away. I realize it is not going to be as quiet as a new burg warner, pardon the spelling, but it just is not right.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
pinball73

ok guys! what if I have a 1928 case & 1929 gears? it is my under sanding that the cluster has a brass shim/washer on both ends & the 29 des not! as you can tell by now I didn't check for any thing like this when I put it together. if this be the problem how do I tell a 28 case from a 29?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
J Franklin

There is a written value for cluster gear clearance in the transmission case that you can check with a feeler gauge. Noise in first and second are to be expected. How well does it shift?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Mikeinnj

You did not stste what parts you used for the rebuild. Did you use your original parts or reproduction gears, bearings and shafts ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
Bob C

Have you checked out Tom Endy's articles??
http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...sion-Traps.pdf
https://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-cont...ugust-2018.pdf

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
There is a written value for cluster gear clearance in the transmission case that you can check with a feeler gauge. Noise in first and second are to be expected. How well does it shift?
it shifts great, nice & easy, could not be any better!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
You did not stste what parts you used for the rebuild. Did you use your original parts or reproduction gears, bearings and shafts ?
new o-ring shafts, new input shaft, second & third sliding gear & all new bearings
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball73 View Post
ok guys, when I get to thinking about things , I usually get into trouble! I rebuilt the transmission in my 1929 two door sedan a year ago & it has not been right sense! I have read about getting new but bad main shaft & cluster bearings! thinking about going back it to see if this is the case. hear is where it gets dangerous! I am wondering if it is possible to either put 32 or later gears in my case, so it would have synchronized gears? or can I possibly use a complete later model transmission in it! can it be done & what will I get into if I try this?
The answer is no. You cannot put later gears in an "A" case. The simplest way to get syncros is with either a Mitchel converted to syncros for about 2K, or the "Clings kit to adapt a V8 trany for about half the price of the Mitchel.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ/40 View Post
the answer is no. You cannot put later gears in an "a" case. The simplest way to get syncros is with either a mitchel converted to syncros for about 2k, or the "clings kit to adapt a v8 trany for about half the price of the mitchel.

well at those kind of prices it looks like i will just be repairing what i have again! That is a bit salty for me.
I will post what ever i find a little later!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
daveymc29

The Mitchell looks like the original because it is, with the insides all new Mitchell made gears and Ford synchronizers. There are choices of stock first and second or 15% more speed in first and second. I live where it is mostly flat and the latter works well for me. When I'm in the hills I'm usually already traveling toward 55 mph or so and with the Mitchell O/D I can split the gears and maintain a goodly pace. No one would know that it is a Mitchell transmission unless they notice that when I shift it is not necessary to double clutch and the shift pattern is tighter, not so much travel from first to second, etc. Works for me, and the bride can drive it home if I keel over. Can do similar with a 39 box but it does look out of place to the trained eye. Works well though, I have had a few.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Russ/40

The Clings kit in a very professional solution. The $1000 figure includes your expense for the 39 tranny. If you already have the early Ford transmission. You can take 500 off that $1000 figure.
I already had the v8 trans, so I only needed the Clings kit. Think it was about $450. I, and everyone who has driven my truck loves it. No clugy stuff, very well engineered! The only thing that gives the modification away from on top, is the shift tower is 1 inch forward of the A tower. Pedals are in the exact same place.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
The Mitchell looks like the original because it is, with the insides all new Mitchell made gears and Ford synchronizers. There are choices of stock first and second or 15% more speed in first and second. I live where it is mostly flat and the latter works well for me. When I'm in the hills I'm usually already traveling toward 55 mph or so and with the Mitchell O/D I can split the gears and maintain a goodly pace. No one would know that it is a Mitchell transmission unless they notice that when I shift it is not necessary to double clutch and the shift pattern is tighter, not so much travel from first to second, etc. Works for me, and the bride can drive it home if I keel over. Can do similar with a 39 box but it does look out of place to the trained eye. Works well though, I have had a few.
Or you can also do a stock first, and 15% percent higher second. I did that and like it.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote