Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
30/31abone

Unhappy 30/31 cowl lace

Hi guys, first time posting. A buddy just got a model a coupe. Question is, how do you attach cowl lace to body. Is there a you tube post that shows the procedure? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks mike
30/31abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: 30/31 cowl lace

Before your buddy starts dealing with changes and repairs on his new car he should at least buy a copy of the owners manual and a restoration handbook. I am sure there may be a video but quick reference in your library is most important.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Karl Wescott

There is a re-occuring theme about getting the "younger" generations interested in Model A's (also T's and V8's). Dont blow this guy off, the 20 somethings use utube as their technical reference guide... its there on their cell phone "under" the car with them. Hopefully after a little coaching here they will post the link to the utube video... that they made!

Anyway, for 1930-31 the lacing is a rope like material. Clips (that go into a corresponding slot on the front flange of the gas tank) are riveted to the lacing at the end. the lacing should slightly stretch to install. Then about the junction of the cowl to the gas tank there should be a 12-24 nut insert, the rope is pierced and a 12-24 pan head screw is screwed in to tension the lacing. Usually, if you buy a kit all the parts will be there.

Someone else please step in and describe the early 1928 and late 1928-29 differences and how the wire retainer works.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
midgetracer

Well said, Karl. This is primarily a help forum.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
burner31

The cowl lace is easy, did my '31, basically just a couple of screws.
And welcome to the barn, you are going to find the model A is as fun to work on as they are to drive.
And get ready for alot of waves and smiles.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
DoubleDouble

How did you make out getting this completed, I’m just about to install this on my late 30 AA closed cab pick up, It wasn’t there when I purchased the truck so I’m a little confused on how the j hooks work, is it possible to get a picture of how it goes
DoubleDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
ursus

What a revelation! I have agonized over this detail after having been told by an "expert" that I would have to partially remove the gas tank in order to install the cowl welting!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

The cowl webing around the gas tank and the cowl lacing for the hood is two very different things. I'm going to assume the lacing for the hood. As stated above it really is pretty easy to install. You can find the lacing at verious vendors such as Brattons. BTW if it is an AA it isn't a pickup. If it's a pickup it isn't an AA.

https://www.brattons.com/30-31-hood-cowl-lacing.html
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
DoubleDouble

That is the kit that I have, I just wondering the correct placement of the j hooks, would you have a picture you could share
Old 06-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

Just hook the metal clip into one of the three slots you see on the right of the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190630_142944 (Custom).jpg (41.0 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by MickeyT; 06-30-2019 at 01:45 PM.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
DoubleDouble

Ok, I did figure it out but thank you for you quick response, I bought my AA as a basket case and I’m in the stages of putting it back together after paint so lot’s of figuring to do, I’m sure you see more questions from me
Old 06-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
There is a re-occuring theme about getting the "younger" generations interested in Model A's (also T's and V8's). Dont blow this guy off, the 20 somethings use utube as their technical reference guide... its there on their cell phone "under" the car with them. Hopefully after a little coaching here they will post the link to the utube video... that they made!

I realize this is a 6 month old post, ...which ironically the poster never logged in again after posting this to let us know how his project went, -OR to thank the ones that did respond. While I agree it is a new 'dawn' as the younger generation chooses to watch it done instead of researching on their own, doesn't it seem sad that many of these individuals never even return to share info., -OR take the time to read the different posts here on the various topics so that they will have the basic knowledge when the time comes and they need to do the same task.

With regard to them being a content provider on YouTube, I personally wish they wouldn't. From my experience of answering texts and phone calls of people who went to YouTube to learn how to do a task, the information on YouTube is more often wrong than it is right. These people then take the next easiest way out and call a business asking technical questions. For these younger folks, it is much easier to pull up a video on YT or verbally ask something instead of researching something in a book. The biggest issue this causes is they do not have the ability to 'problem solve' because the answer is given freely. I have found by answering these private technical question phone calls is that the majority do not possess the skill set because they never learned the basics. Because they never learned the basics, they struggle with accomplishing the other tasks without supervision.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote