Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
vetpenny

Default 1940 ford V-8 running hot

I have a problem with my V-8 pickup running hot. I have no problem starting the truck but it quickly registers H on the temperature dial. If I pick up the speed of the truck it will cool down to about the 3/4 level on the temperature dial and then goes back to hot. Once I shut the pickup off and then try to start it, it turns over very slowly. I see no steam from coming from the radiator. I am thinking maybe thermostats, faulty temperature indicator, water pumps or possibly the starter. I would welcome any suggestions you may have. Thanks for your input.
vetpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: 1940 ford V-8 running hot

Suggest you first determine the actual operating temperature with an inexpensive infrared heat gun, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperatu.../dp/B00QYX6F5G.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
tubman

The first thing you have to know is the actual temperature of the engine. I notice Harbor Freight has the remote infra-red thermometers on sale this week. I think they're $14.95. I have one, and they're invaluable for stuff like this.

EDIT : "Great minds think alike"
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
drolston

Did this problem just appear, or has been building?
I assume the water, or whatever, is an inch over the radiator core.
One or both of your thermostats may have flipped from the head outlet up into the hose; common problem.

The slow cranking when hot is probably not related; maybe a cable size, corrosion, or grounding problem.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
revkev6

like was mentioned already, those heat guns are worth So much for quick diagnosis. I thought I had a horrible overheating problem after I swapped in a rebuilt motor only to find out it was a bad ground on the stewart warner gauge causing it to read about 40 degrees high. I spent an entire weekend swapping parts and such before I broke down and got the IR temp gun and found out my "new" used gauge that I thought wasn't working at all, actually WAS working but hadn't even started registering yet when my other "old" used gauge was already reading hot!
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
4dFord/SC

[QUOTE=tubman;
EDIT : "Great minds think alike"[/QUOTE]

Go Gophers
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
tubman

Fred - I did beat you by 4 cents, but even I would go to Amazon rather than saving the .04 at Harbor Freight.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
vetpenny

Thanks for the helpful advice that many of you gave. I purchased an IR thermometer and took the temperature of the engine block and the hoses leading to the engine when the heat indicator on the dash registered H. The engine block temperature was 220 degrees Fahrenheit and the hose temperature was about 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Also after turning the engine off it barely turned over. Can anyone offer any further suggestions as to what my problem may be? Again thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

All electrical troubleshooting begins with the battery. If it were me, after the battery checked out under load, I would remove and clean all the cables and grounds and clean and tighten them. I am assuming the cables are proper gauge. If still weak when hot, go through the starter, there are high torque field coils available, check the armature for shorts, turn it and replace brushes and springs. Make sure the bushings are not worn and re assemble. If the solenoid was the problem, I don't think engine temp would make a difference but that is also in the mix. Good luck, post what the problem was after you find it.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
tubman

The temps you are reading suggest to me that you have a clogged radiator. The coolant isn't flowing through it like it should. You should "shoot" the radiator as well. It should be cooler at the bottom than the top. I forget what the drop should be; maybe someone else knows off the top of their head.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
vetpenny

Again thanks for the many suggestions. I have checked the temperature of the block (220 degrees) and the hose coming into the block (140 degrees F). Also I have checked my wire connections which are okay and the battery which is fully charged. Unfortunately it begs other questions. What effect if any does a malfunctioning thermostat(s) have on my problem? Is it possible that my temperature reading on my dash is wrong due a bad sending unit? Why does my starter turn over very slowly once my dash temperature reaches H? Is it due to an engine block that is too hot, in my case 220 degrees F, and/or a starter that is not operating properly?The temperature at the radiator hose coming into the block is 140 degrees while the block temperature is 220 degrees. Is this difference of 80 degrees normal or does it indicate a possible clogging problem in the radiator and/or engine block? I apologize for pinging on you with so many questions but this problem has been bugging me for several years and I am still looking for a solution. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
1931 flamingo

" this problem has been bugging me for several years and I am still looking for a solution. Thanks for whatever help you can give me"

Have you pulled your hoses and flushed the block and radiator?? Are the t/stats blocking the flow (if installed). 220 is WAY too hot. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Are you running a pressure cap? How can the water temp be 220 degrees and not be boiling over?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #14
expavr

When using an IR gun to check water temperatures I aim it at the hoses. You say the block is reading 220* is that the upper hose or the engine itself? I don’t think its possible to get an accurate indication of the water temp by aiming it at the block. You will be sensing the heat of combustion and the associated residual heat buildup in the heads and not water temperature. The cooling system on the tonner uses Skip’s water pumps, no stats and has the OEM fan shroud on the radiator. The radiator is a recored OEM split design. IR temperature readings at the upper hose can vary from 165*-185* with the lower hose reading averaging 15-20* less.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote