Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
zoegrant

Default Re: 1955 ford with 2 barrel ford carb

KULTULZ....so the slit in the grommet is large enough for the fumes to be sucked into the pcv valve ??

By the way...your picture are so helpful
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #22
miker98038

That grommet works fine on a stock motor, installed in the valley cover. I used it for 2-3 years. Including a couple with 4lbs boost on a Paxton blowing thru an Edelbrock 1406. But when I built the stoker motor, ran the boost up, more cam, and started going past 5000 rpm I need to build a real baffle. It really wasn’t a problem driving but when we were setting the engine up on the dyno we blew the head gasket on #7, and between 7&8. Yeah, twice, I’m a slow learner. Upon closer examination we found the oil in the intake passages. Detonation blew the gasket real quick. Adding a real baffle stopped the problem. But on a stock motor, I’d run it again in a minute.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #23
zoegrant

Is that little slit large enough to remove block pressure ?
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #24
miker98038

Short answer yes. Those are widely used in the valve cover of much larger motors. But it worked fine on my 292. If the engine is fairly tight, there’s not much blowby at part throttle. At WOT, there’s no vacumn, and pressure vents thru both the PCV and the oil fill tube. That’s why I like to use a “closed” system with the fill cap plumbed to the air cleaner. I’ve always scrounged those parts for 70’s GM engines because I’m more familiar with them than 70’s Fords.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #25
Daves55Sedan

[QUOTE=scicala;1821807I'm pretty sure the part number ID tags on these carbs was just on service carbs from the dealer. Could be mistaken. The stamping of Holley LIST numbers and date codes was very sporatic back then. I've seen some stamped right above the venture size on the top cover, and some stamped on top of the bowl cover, but most had nothing. I don't think they got consistent with the part number stampings until the teapot 4 barrels arrived in 1953 on the Lincoln. Once again, this is just for the Holley 94 type carbs.Sal[/QUOTE]

As far as the type of carb he has (2-bbl bug-sprayer carb), there were only two types and both were actually made by Holley.
The Ford EBU has no other identification than the ford oval on the passenger side of float bowl and "EBU" embossed on the opposite side of float bowl.
The Holley 2100 has embossed "Holley 2100" on passenger side of float bowl along with patent numbers below it.
The only real difference in the two are the accelerator pump actuator rod chamber in the main body. Otherwise, you really can't tell them apart, other than they have slightly different mixing chamber parts, and of course the EBU valve body has 1 inch venturis while the Holley 2100 has 1-1/16 inch venturi's.
If there is an aftermarket phenolic base with a PCV port available for the Holley 94 style carbs, i'm not aware of it, but some places are selling a composite base for the purpose of keeping the valve base further away from intake manifold heat, but I don't think they look thick enough to convert into a PVC connection.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote