Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
FL&WVMIKE

Default "T" Ford Vaporizer Intake Manifold

Just what is the story on these ? I have a nice complete one, but not here, where I could photograph it.
Are they highly desirable, or not at all ?
When were they used ?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Thank you,
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
geo61bird

Default Re: "T" Ford Vaporizer Intake Manifold

I have a Vaporizer on my 1926 Coupe... are they desirable I doubt it... most people I have talked to about Vaporizers seem scared of them...

This type of carburetor would pull the gasoline by a portion of the exhaust manifold in order to heat up and fully vaporize the fuel. This, of course, did not help to increase the efficiency of the engine, but it was required because of the poor quality of the gasoline in the late 1920s.

Vaporizers were late 1926 and 1927
1966 Fairlane GTA
1987 Continental
1989 Town Car
geo61bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Hotrodfil

I run a vaporizer on my 27 Tourer - it's OK but then I've nothing to compare it with...
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Hotrodfil

I've seen the vaporiser exhaust manifolds used on speedsters with a single large bore pipe coming out where the vaporiser plate is normally fitted.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Could it be for making a 'T' run on kerosene? Back then kerosene was cheaper than gasoline and many farm tractors had a "hot manifold" (exhaust jacket around the intake) to vaporize the kerosene which is more like diesel fuel than gasoline. Tractors had a small tank for gasoline for starting and warm-up before it would run on kerosene. Dad used to tell about how they would plow for several days on kerosene and then carbon would build up so much the exhaust valves would not seal so they'd run a few tanks of gasoline until the valves "healed up", as he put it. Also,not all the kerosene would vaporize and would get past the rings into the oil and dilute it. The oil level would actually increase and there was a petcock on the side of the oil pan that you opened every morning to drain off the kerosene (it was lighter than the oil so rose to the surface overnight). After the Depression most farmers installed what they called a "cold manifold" to run just gasoline, which gave more power and obviously burned cleaner.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
CharlieB

geo61 has it exactly right. It was not for any other fuel except gas and was used because of the low grade of fuel available. Are they desireable? There's one on e-bay now totally complete and it's been hanging at $30.00 for 3 days now. Only used about the last 18 months of T production.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
geo61bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Could it be for making a 'T' run on kerosene? Back then kerosene was cheaper than gasoline and many farm tractors had a "hot manifold" (exhaust jacket around the intake) to vaporize the kerosene which is more like diesel fuel than gasoline. Tractors had a small tank for gasoline for starting and warm-up before it would run on kerosene. Dad used to tell about how they would plow for several days on kerosene and then carbon would build up so much the exhaust valves would not seal so they'd run a few tanks of gasoline until the valves "healed up", as he put it. Also,not all the kerosene would vaporize and would get past the rings into the oil and dilute it. The oil level would actually increase and there was a petcock on the side of the oil pan that you opened every morning to drain off the kerosene (it was lighter than the oil so rose to the surface overnight). After the Depression most farmers installed what they called a "cold manifold" to run just gasoline, which gave more power and obviously burned cleaner.

This is a fantastic share thank you very much
1966 Fairlane GTA
1987 Continental
1989 Town Car
geo61bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

So, I guess that these things might be rare, but it doesn't matter, because nobody really wants them.
Perhaps, sometime in the future, they might become a real collectible item.
I believe that mine is better than the one on E-Bay, with some more parts attached.
Thanks,
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote