Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
4t8v8

Default Re: Bob drake again

I am sooooo thankful I restored my F1 in the mid '80's. In those days it was just an "old truck" that not many were interested in. Parts were easy to find and inexpensive. Been noticing on E-Pay how ridiculously high prices have gotten as well as the poor quality from many vendors. Too bad. Most of the parts I bought back then had a strange marking on them. "Made In USA!"
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
Dec211975

How long have you had the gas cap 6 months. 6 years? You don't seem to remember who you bought it from! I was in the automotive business for 25 years and a shop owner for 10 years how long do you guarantee your work? I would hear from 50 % of the customers I don't want to spend any money but they always came back for warranty when the job goes south. The company you bought the cap from probably made more money on it then Bob Drake did just because Bob Drake has his name on a part it doesn't necessarily mean he should own it for life. From my experience I would say the quality of Items I have purchased from BD have been in the top 10 % of the parts I have purchased from the early ford venders I have used in my project. In closing I have waited for back orders from BD but no one else had the parts neither. IMOP I need BD more then I need the other suppliers.
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #23
paul2748

It looks like we are going back to the days of Argentine parts. Now it's China rather than Argentina. BD has fit problems, Carpenters rubber parts don't last. These were once the places where you could count on getting quality parts and now they won't even acknowledge that some things are wrong.. None stand behind their products. You would think that when they get the china made parts they would at least check them out for fit and finish. It seems like they don't.

And they are not the only ones that have poor products. Brake parts for instance - there used to be brand names we could rely on but now they all have China manufactured parts that either don't work or don't last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
JM, stand by as a rant about Vintique and then Dennis Carpenter will be next. I guess these people yearn to return to the days of yesteryear when all parts were marked "Industria Argentina". You were lucky if the rubber lasted a year or the chrome lasted 6 months and then rusted. And best of all, nothing fit. It would be nice to see the complainers pool their money and tool up to make parts. Maybe they can do a better job? Now if their part does not turn out to be perfect we can excoriate them right here on Fordbarn.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
You mean like those that resort to name calling?
Yep. Hey, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #25
Shadetree

I have bought several items from Bob Drake over the years and have never had an issue. Just sayin'.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #26
boo

i remember all the quality parts i used to get from JC Whitney in the 50's, sometimes they almost looked like the part you ordered. have one of their grills on my 34 now, looks good from a block away. in late 80's i needed some flex pipe, i had an old catalog i had saved from 1958, ordered pipe from that catalog and got in a couple days....
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
47Merc

About 6 months ago I ordered a Rear Shock and Sway bar kit from Drakes for my 40 coupe. The package was shipped to Australia via a container so it took a couple of months to get here and when it arrived I found they had shipped the kit for the lowered suspension version not the stock suspension (different shock lengths) that I ordered.

I rang Drakes and asked for their Tech section to find out what the difference was and was put on hold until someone was avalible. Through their phone system I got back to the switch and explained that I was ringing from Australia and was put through in about 2 minutes. I explained to the rep what had happened, gave him my order and invoice # etc. and he said he would email me back very shortly to keep the phone call to a minimum.
Within 10 mins I had an email back saying he had checked it out and indeed they had sent the wrong parts and apologized for the mistake and would get back to me.

The next day I received an email saying they had forwarded the correct parts to me by airfreight, gave me the tracking # and again apologized.

4 days later the parts were delivered. You cannot get better service than that.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #28
countrysquire

I think that some here are missing the point. As has been stated multiple times, many of his parts are top notch and I will continue to buy them. We all understand that it's not easy to mass produce parts to fit cars that are 75-80 years old, and I think that most accept that some won't bolt on without a bit of adjustment.

The issue for me is that they set very high expectations for all of their parts, but some of them are known by many (via forum discussions) not to right, yet they seem to always respond with "This is the first we've heard of that", which angers the customer. Exceeding customer expectations is just Business 101, yet they have found a way to do just the opposite too many times and have soiled what should be a great reputation in our hobby.

Bobby
countrysquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #29
boo

i'm finishing a 27 Tv8, i'm amazed at how henry could make and sell these cars for a few hundred $. having to rebuild doors [door latchs, window operaters] AMAZING that any one would make rebuild kits for them, springs, gears pins, clips etc., these came from Langs but same goes for Drake , Carpenter and others that actually have the parts made. many just sell others parts. i think its great that they make the parts, most are good. i try to buy most of my parts at flea markets, BUT i start looking for parts 10-15 years befor i start the project. will be 74 coupl weeks, have 1 more car a 34 roadster that i have all pieces i wanted, started looking 1999..plan ahead...Boo
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #30
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysquire View Post
I think that some here are missing the point. As has been stated multiple times, many of his parts are top notch and I will continue to buy them. We all understand that it's not easy to mass produce parts to fit cars that are 75-80 years old, and I think that most accept that some won't bolt on without a bit of adjustment.

The issue for me is that they set very high expectations for all of their parts, but some of them are known by many (via forum discussions) not to right, yet they seem to always respond with "This is the first we've heard of that", which angers the customer. Exceeding customer expectations is just Business 101, yet they have found a way to do just the opposite too many times and have soiled what should be a great reputation in our hobby.

Bobby
I don't feel that I am amoung the group who is missing the point. I know exactly what the perpetual whiners here are continually whining about.
I have never personally heard the response (in bold above) that you and many others here mention, but then in the past 30 years of buying parts from Bob Drake, I have never had the need to call them to complain about anything. Now I have had them personally call me to request my feedback on some items I had purchased from them

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #31
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysquire View Post

Bobby
I think you have summed it up perfectly. Yes, Drake makes some good parts. Still, when he knowingly makes and sells crap, well, admit it Bob, fix the issue and don't BS the customers.
That's all the informed crowd is asking for. BE HONEST.
As a side note of sorts: I think it funny that those of us that expect honesty are labeled "whiners", etc. Since when did telling the truth become whining?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #32
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Damn, this thread has some legs! A little surprised the boss hasn't whacked it but there are a lot truths and a lot of anger being vented. From my point of view it is what it is and after you fix it you'll love it. I've always have tired to buy original parts when I can and not buy from usual suppliers, but that's me. One thing I do know is all of the bitching in the world will not change this unfortunately so it's time to deal with it guys. Les
Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #33
DavidG

If you have a complaint about your new Ford or Lincoln, you don't contact Ford directly but rather the dealer that you bought it from (or a facing dealer if you've moved). I think that same process applies when parts made by one party are sold by a second, not directly-related (as in no ownership), party in most businesses back in 1933 as well as today. If you don't buy something directly from Bob or Dennis, etc. your recourse is not directly to them, but rather to whomever you bought it from.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
If you have a complaint about your new Ford or Lincoln, you don't contact Ford directly but rather the dealer that you bought it from (or a facing dealer if you've moved). I think that same process applies when parts made by one party are sold by a second, not directly-related (as in no ownership), party in most businesses back in 1933 as well as today. If you don't buy something directly from Bob or Dennis, etc. your recourse is not directly to them, but rather to whomever you bought it from.
Bingo!
Case in point: Some of you know I have a retail store. When, on rare occasion there is an issue with the product I sell, I take care of that issue NOW!!! A client does not want to hear "talk to the supplier". To them, I AM the supplier and as such responsible for what I sell.
I insist on the best product from my suppliers but there are mistakes now and then. Fortunately, my suppliers are "good" and remedy the situation with me.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #35
rowens55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
I hear Mac's is pretty good.
Lolololol......etc!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #36
G.M.

Bob D and his number one man, his first employee stop by to visit me at my 39
on the show field Sat at Hershey. Ease up a little on him he's starting to show
little ageing. Me too. G.M.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #37
papanomad

I knew Bob Drake back in early 70's while he was still working at Douglas aircraft in southern california. he introduced his first reproduction at long beach ford obsolete. first item was on/off switch plate and he was off and running. he borrowed a few nos items I had, to reproduce them and when his products were made in U.S. they were all high quality. I haven't bought much from him in last few years but can guess low quality has to do with off shore production. he was at one time considered to be a savior for restoring old fords.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #38
petehoovie

What JM said above^....And, I'm just pleased/glad that Bob Drake and Mac's are still in business as a source for the parts I need.....The good and goods they provide far out number the bad. I've never felt victimized by them in all the years I've dealt with them. Too many 'pseudo' victims in America these days...."There is nothing noble about being a 'victim'."....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-18-2015 at 04:40 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by papanomad View Post
I knew Bob Drake back in early 70's while he was still working at Douglas aircraft in southern california. he introduced his first reproduction at long beach ford obsolete. When his products were made in U.S. they were all high quality. I haven't bought much from him in last few years but can guess low quality has to do with off shore production.
Low quality has nothing to do with "offshore production". Have you looked at the quality of a Hyundai or Kia lately? Quality has only to do with the dealer's level of acceptance. In addition, if BD worked for Donald Douglas back when, he KNOWS the difference between quality pieces and chaff. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #40
Bob Drake Repro

We usually don’t participate in the Bob-Bashing pastime, but a customer mentioned this particular thread and suggested we may want to comment and clarify. It is impossible to address such a large accumulation of remarks, so I will simply focus this post on the point at which the damn began to break.

As a policy, we do not hang up on customers. Even if a customer becomes irate, we attempt to calm the conversation to better resolve the problem. However, if a customer becomes excessively belligerent, profane or personally attacks our representative, we reserve the right to disconnect the call.

If you purchase a part from us and find need to return it, give us a call, let us know what is wrong, and we will work to get the part back. We do have a 30-day return policy, but may extend the period in extenuating circumstances (that said, we do not generally take parts back that have been modified or suffer damage from wear, improper installation/handling or misuse). We warranty our chrome for a full year and rubber for three years against deterioration. If you purchase a part made by us, but bought from a different source (one of our dealers), we ask that you please return the part to that source. We do not demand a robust return policy from our dealers, but if you have an unjust experience with one of our dealers, we would like to know about it.

As for corrosion of a brass part exposed to water (on the underside of a Radiator cap), this may be the result of chemical electrolysis. Basically, there is a chemical imbalance and the water has become acidic. Use a voltmeter to check if your water is holding a charge – if it is, you are suffering from chemical electrolysis. The causes are various (bad additives, long-term build-up of static electricity from a bad ground, maybe a short in the system) and the coolant system may need to be flushed. All aluminum and brass parts in contact with the water need to be checked for excessive corrosion. Always make sure you have clean grounds. We are not definitively stating this is the cause of a badly corroded radiator cap brass underside, but most likely the reason, and we will not accept the item for return. Brass will not so quickly deteriorate under normal conditions. Some of the other Barners will surely be able to chime in more here with some advice.

Bob Drake, himself, does not answer calls in our call center and is very difficult to reach by phone out-of-the-blue. Our service manager, Peter, however is usually available and willing to help with a problem whether you purchased one of our parts or not. If you wish to reach Bob, all mail addressed to Bob Drake is delivered directly to him. If you are unsatisfied with our service or product, cannot reach a resolution with a member of our service team, have questions on a Ford part, or even part suggestions, please write a letter to Bob. It may take a little time, but he often responds. You may also be able to catch Bob at one of the shows - he likes walking around to look at the cars, so keep your eyes peeled.

We know we are not perfect, but work hard to produce good parts for an often difficult array of vehicles in a niche market. We strive to be better and many of you have made us better. Thank you for your long term support and help.
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote