Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #81
dwollam

Default Re: Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

Black. I think the yellow might be distracting to look past while driving. Black will "disappear".
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #82
yachtsmanbill

See post #37 here...

Thats what I was thinking too, but didnt wanta have it be too "busy". ws
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #83
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollam View Post
Black. I think the yellow might be distracting to look past while driving. Black will "disappear".
Bill,
I would agree with this thinking & the black would balance out the black on the column, pedals, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #84
yachtsmanbill

Saw this acrosss the hall and found it pretty interesting. Good for figgerin' stuff out sometimes! ws

http://hccaont.blogspot.com/

Are you involved here Jack???
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #85
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Saw this acrosss the hall and found it pretty interesting. Good for figgerin' stuff out sometimes! ws

http://hccaont.blogspot.com/

Are you involved here Jack???
Yes indeed! They are a good bunch of people for sure. There are many great Ts in the group.

Below is part of a tour that partially was on the track at Mosport International Speedway about 30 miles from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 Buick - Mosport 2011.jpg (93.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #86
yachtsmanbill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So now I need a little input from the REAL exspurts here...

While trying to size up my windshield frame for dimensions on the cowling base, I tried to re-insert the plate glass temporarily into the brass channel so that I can be sure of the exact width etc before I cut the wood for the hinge mounts.
The original glass is cracked and in two pieces so thats not too big of a deal. The new piece is gonna be 1/4 Solex saftey glass. Sooo... the brass channel has numerous cracks and fold overs rendering it almost useless. This is a 22-23ish upper frame. I pulled the brass out and cleaned the channel. It measured 3/8" in width. I want to install the glass in a bitumastic gasket like the 26-27 models were done. A new brass channel is $299.00! Aint no way in hell Im gonna fork over that kinda dough for a piece of trim.
Anyone see any problems using the rubber style mount? The OEM glass is gonna be used for a template and the frame has been painted so its handleable by Monday for the glass guys. Input appreciated! Also, anyone know the thread size for the chrome 26-27 style WS wingnuts? I dont wanna use castle nuts and the OEM size is 3/8 sae. ws

This aint mine but is the same and kinda shows the glass channel in brass

This is the barn find with the glass as found

Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #87
yachtsmanbill

Inching ever closer... Spoke with a glass shop yesterday and the guy quoted me $200 for the glass plus the install and thats 50 miles away! The next guy is in town here and does all the glass for Manitowoc cranes... $10/sq foot plus any radiusing etc. Should end up being $50-$60 Im guessing. meanwhile its all painted and drying as we speak so itll be ready Monday or Tuesday for the glass guys. ws

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #88
yachtsmanbill

What a pain to cold call on stuff where yer the new kid in town...HOWEVER;

I go to this glass shop in town and the guy (about 65 ish) knew exactly what I was walking in with. He said he hadnt done one of these in 25 years. Actually he didnt have the right mounting rubber altho he had special "glass jacks" for actually jacking the glass vertically down the sides and into the cross bar. Said they were priceless! So the guy refers me to another guy out in the country that specializes in classic glass.
This guy is about 40 ish and a wealth of info! He has a nice collection from a '55 Bel Air ragtop to a '22 T doctors coupe with suicide doors, a 34 Auburn roadster and a '35 Packard cabriolet, and among other things , a 1908 H-D that was ridden to the 100th anniv. party (200 miles each way!), a '37 Brough-Superior 650 and a myriad of many all restored beauties !!
The guy calls me back 20 hours later to say the WS is done ... it ran me $120 and looks like a piece of jewelry! This is a 22 frame with the brass channel that was damaged, so the new SOLEX glass was mounted in cork with a smidge of black uerathane... I really hope that SOLEX glass gives the judges the runs LOLOL !! ws

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #89
yachtsmanbill

FWIW.... swap meet for A's from the MAFCA in West Bend Wi. on 2-24 at Washington County fair grounds.... ws
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #90
yachtsmanbill

Working in a 75F shop in a T shirt as the snow falls is pretty therapuetic. A few hours out there, then come in for coffee, then back out for a few hours... wish I could find a job like that!
Painted the stuff about 3-4 days ago and got it assembled to the point that I could get some measurements and make my length cut on the wood. Tongue in cheek; it appears to be coming together even tho its a total reverse engineering job. Next step is to get the harware fitted to the wood, then painted. After thats all done and fitted 100% Ill get onto staining and varnishing the wood frame. Thatll hafta sit for few days before handling it for a final assembly... ws

Pass the KAOPECTATE!!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #91
yachtsmanbill

Look out judges! Willy just left the show pen for a hot dog... he'll be back in a while!

Got the assembly rudimentarily (?) mounted today and it looked pretty good. Originally, I was gonna have all the holes pilot drilled from inside the cowl, then take it back off for staining and varnishing. I was also gonna bed it in place as a final with some construction adhesive. As it turns out, the whole unit is in place and secured with just 12 long screws. A 300 lb quarterback doesnt belong under the dash of a speedster! So now its gonna get sanded and finished in place. This phase is coming to an end. Ill get some more pics tomorrow... right now its time to hit the shower and the VIKEs LOL
BBQ ribs for dinner tonight! ws

Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #92
yachtsmanbill

The pics above arethe rough assembly so today I varnished and painted. The shop was warm and mustve neen pretty low on the humidity since I managed to get three coats on and dry to the touch in a few hours.
Got everything DUNN! The wood took a slight bow to the cowl and the glass now touches by1/8-1/4" in the center. My little Stanley #6 block plane will make short work outa that too! Other than that its a done deal. Only thing left is to trim the studs at the hinge for the new chrome wing nuts I got from Langs for $2.50 ea. So there!! ws

Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #93
dumb person

Not bad, so how does it look from 6-8 feet away?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #94
yachtsmanbill

smaller ws
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #95
yachtsmanbill

Too cool not to share! This came from across the hall. ANYTHING is possible eh??? ws

http://www.varietyvideosllc.com/about2.html
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #96
yachtsmanbill

We went to the West Bend Wi. swap meet last sunday and actually sold most of my "extras" as we were unloading the truck. The pics here were at 0600 and the big service door was a walloping 10 feet from our space. Really a nice venue. Theres actually 2 buildings with the second one a bit larger than this, but it got packed with about 2000 people. Several Dairyland Tin Lizzy guys stopped by for a respite on the 5 gallon buckets we brought!

Couldnt sell the 26-7 parts rear end for even $10 tho... hauled it home for the scrap pile... ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 02-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #97
yachtsmanbill

Last week I had ordered 2 of these decals for the Pollinator. The 10" round gas tank ends needed something so this almost looks period correct. Post WW I anyway!
Lots of Germanics up here, but still didnt want to offend any non aryans with a twisted cross LOL. The Iron Cross is just 7" in diameter and is gonna look crisp against the yellow tank. Still kinda like that "rat fink" era.
Also ordered the windshield wiper and mirror from langs today. They are both the clamp on type so I dont hafta drill holes through the frame. The mirror frame is bare (to be black painted) with a beveled mirror and the wiper is a chrome job to ad a touch of bling to the chopper... ws

The babes at the swap meet were outstanding too!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #98
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Couldnt sell the 26-7 parts rear end for even $10 tho...
i would buy them but the shipping would be a killer.

i did have an angry bee sticker i thought would be good on your car but seeing i live among those people you did not want to offend someone stole it, have not seen it on their stuff, i think they used it as a bandaid, i honestly do.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #99
yachtsmanbill

Too bad Barbie's not on the barby mate! She does like to get tanked up tho... Shes from Walkabout Creek LOL... She sends her regards!

The tank decals were a little tuff to put on, but the second one was way easier. I think the Knights Cross is pretty cool without offending any of the PC Politiburos' here. I wish I could line 'em all up downwind after chugging a quart of beer. So what if my grandad was awarded the cross in 1916. Ta' heck withem!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #100
yachtsmanbill

Spent the rest of the shift wiring up the 12V alternator with an inline 40A fuse. Nothing flashed LOL! Voltmeter works and its all good!

Got my wiper and mirror from Langs today. These are clamp on models so no drilling required. I was a little disappointed to see Hech en China on the chrome wiper but the rest of the order was USA. Needless to say, the wiper needed heating and bending but turned out good. ws

The other Slick Willy incognito...