Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Mike

Default Re: car will not run on magneto

Engine speed idle , fast idle and high rpm 3 volts
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #22
Doug Money

This was an analog meter? Not a digital meter?
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
yachtsmanbill

Get that 9/16 & 5/8 wrench handy! Check for grounding in the MAG plug first. The can short as well! ws
Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #24
Mike

Good morning, yes it was a analog meter. I am looking into using a coil and distributor.

Mike
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
FRANK PKNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Money View Post
Frank, the higher voltage increases the ramp up time of the coils so they fire faster increasing timing. This makes the engine run a bit faster. The AC voltage helps keep the points from burning since the charge reverses from time to time through the points when the coil is charging.
Thanks Doug, I understand why after reading your post. AC alternating current keeps the points from pitting in one direction therefor the points last longer. DC you can see the metal deposits going in the direction of the current. The higher voltage and ramp up time makes a lot of sence.
Great I am always learning something new even at my age. Thanks Frank
Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
Doug Money

Glad to be able to help Frank.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
Mike

Anyone covert to coil and distributor setup

Mike
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #28
FRANK PKNY

Let me go back one more time. Dissconnect the wire coming off the mag pick up. Use an analog meter , set for ac voltage range 0 to 50 vac . What is the reading at high idol? ( the rpm at driving in high gear about 25mph). You may not have recharged the mag properly or you need to pull the engine and examine the coils and magnets then reset to gap as stated prior. On original coils the old cotton insulation and laqure breaks down and could short out also the magnets loose their charge over many years of use. A new rebuilt mag will put out 30+ volts ac if set up correctly.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
Doug Money

Dont forget the 1156 bulb between the mag pickup and meter terminal. That loads the mag the correct amount to simulate the coils.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
yachtsmanbill

My original magnets, and new Wally coil ring gives me 5-6 volts at hand cranking speed. Havent checked it running yet, but its STRONG!... ws
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #31
columbiA

Ive recharged the mag by using the instructions in an old Dykes manual.Ive used two 12V batteries in series.Follow the directions carefully and if the coil ring is good,it should put out over 30 Volts AC. T,s run best on mag.If you change over to a dist system,then you are losing a lot of what makes a "T" a "T".With a good mag,you can quite often get free starts with a warm engine simply by turning on the switch.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #32
columbiA

In my previous post,I should have said that you will get free starts if you switch to BAT to start.I used a 6V rectangular lantern battery for starting.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
Mike

Good morning,
Thank you all for your help!! I did all the tests with a analog meter and a 1156 bulb.
At idle 1156 bulb dim 5 vac. At mid throttle 1156 bulb dim 5 vac. At high throttle 1156 bulb dim 5 vac. I was asked by the owner to look into a coil and distributor set up, any thoughts on those units ????

Mike
Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #34
Doug Money

You could always throw a 12 volt battery in until the mag gets repaired down the road.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
Mike

Can I install a 12 volt battery in the car without damaging anything????
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #36
Doug Money

Some say it's hard on starter. Many have been using 12 volt just fine. Change the bulbs. Do you use a voltage regulator on the generator?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #37
FRANK PKNY

Mike, if your ring gear is in good shape 12volts will work. The six volt starter slams kinda hard to the ring gear, I used a new replacement starter that is 12v and have not had any problems in about 5000 miles. (The starter is advertized in the model T mag. ) Sounds to me like you may have a need to pull the engine at some point. T's are fun to work on. If you follow the service manuals and ask advise when your not sure , you will not go wrong. I converted my present 1915 T to a starter engine. Bad back and torn sholders from a horse related accident did not let me crank any longer. I enjoy driving a T I have four antique cars but the T is my favorite to drive. An easy fix right now is going to a battery 12v. It takes a long time for the points to go bad on battery , as stated by Doug the Dc is not quite as good as the AC power. I think 10,000 miles you would need to tend to the coils. Of course I am assuming that they are in good shape to start with. Most people that change to a distributer do so because they don't understand the modet T ignition system. ( open a can of worms here). Frank
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #38
yachtsmanbill

Over the last winter I rebuilt the POLLINATOR from a pile of parts. I installed a NEW 12 volt DELCO starter from LD BECKER & Co and am now waiting for the gear driven 12V alternator due here this week. There is NO substitute! The starter uses a button and a standard Ford fender mount solenoid. The original beat up ring gear seams to tolerate the Delco starter just fine.
The car runs fine on 12V with the coils, but switch over to MAG and its a big improvement. One of the surprises of the MAG besides being about 32 volts AC is the long dwell angle that produces a longer lasting spark impulse at the plugs. Wally Zumansky in Chicago built the coil ring, and the ORIGINAL uncharged magnets do the trick.
Even a cold start is a bump on the starter with ZERO choke and she takes off. All the yahooze at the mtfca boo-hoo 12 volt stuff, but theyre a bunch of weanies anyway. Real sealed beam headlites with GOOD tailights are todays necessities. PERIOD.
Even when I was running some bum coils, the POLLINATOR strolled along effortlessly at 38 mph (GPS), with a lot of throttle left. Its only gonna get better next week with 4 new coils coming from Kintukky! ws

Old 08-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #39
Mike

Doug,

The car is all original, it has a good generator and original cut out on the unit .

Mike
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #40
Doug Money

Then all you have to do is change the bulbs and fire it up.