Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #41
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

Rather than pull it all apart, I take a pair of channelox and straighten out about 1/4 of the flare and change the nut. Bend it back so it looks good and tighten it up. Its only a 5 minute job that way... ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Rather than pull it all apart, I take a pair of channelox and straighten out about 1/4 of the flare and change the nut. Bend it back so it looks good and tighten it up. Its only a 5 minute job that way... ws
It should work. I'll give it a try. It's just about noon so I'm going to get my last little bit of rest and then I'm going out. I had another 3 hour night last night, and the lack of sleep has slowed me down a little this AM. Oh yeah, one more thing; I like your new picture a little better. I don't know if my brotha would be all that crazy about me having his photo in here.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #43
[email protected]

Got out to the shop this afternoon and went to work. Had to sandblast just a little more on the intake manifold. And the manifold clamps and bolts. Then I went to work mounting the manifold on. Man is that a balancing act. My counterbores in the block were 1/4 inch deep and the counterbores in the manifold were 1/4 inch deep. The steel rings are 5/16 inch thick. That means with the rings in place there's only 1/16 inch to hang the copper ring on and to mount the manifold onto the block. When the copper ring is 1/16 inch theres nothing left to catch the ring and the manifolds don't match up with the block. So it's a mess to deal with.

After I finished the manifolds I worked on putting the packing nut onto the exhaust pipe. That took a little trickery. First I bent and tapped the flange in on the end of the pipe. Then I slipped the nut onto the pipe and last I took a round body hammer and reshaped the flange. All in all it came out purty good.

Then it was time to call my good friend yachtmanbill and make the measurements he needed off my starter.

Then I took some pictures and cleaned up. And now it's time for my Windsor.

And yes that is a Kingston Carboneater. God give me the strength.

And yes I did put anti seize on all the treads.

Now I'm going to rebuild the Kingston carb and sandblast and paint the heat cover that keeps the carb from icing up. Then put the exhaust back on and put a new hanger on the exhaust pipe. Then I'm going to fired it up and take 'er for a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1321.jpg (46.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1326.jpg (49.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1341.jpg (55.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1349.jpg (69.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1356.jpg (37.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1354.jpg (54.3 KB, 19 views)
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-13-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #44
ModelTFan01
Banned

That Tudor looks great, but the Touring looks better!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #45
[email protected]

Finished the sedan up today. Had an issue with the exhaust manifold drawing up on the block. It was hanging up on the steel rings. Popped it off and redid the rings so the manifold would draw up to the block and crush the copper rings. Put the carb kit into the Kingston, put the exhaust pipe in and fired it up. It runs better than ever. Tomorrow I'm going for a little tour of my own. i was really surprised to find out my generator and cutout was working. Yesterday when I was working with the manifold clamps I sprayed them with wd40. A bunch of it ran down onto the brushes and commutator. Today I noticed it was sparking a little. So I grabbed the wire that comes out of the cutout and shorted it on the frame and it sparked. Holy crap. So now I gotta do some tracing wires and see if I can patch the wiring enough to get the battery to charge. So now if I can get it to charge I've got one headlight that works. The other one has the bulb missing. And the taillight works. Of course the mufflers shot so it needs replacing someday. I'm having so much fun with the '26 I don't know how I'll ever be able to focus on the '21. But I figure the '21 will be running in time for our first tour with the club. So once again I'm ready to ride off into the sunset.

Thanks Andy for putting up with me when I called tonight. I was just a touch frustrated. Could you tell. But everything worked out by the time I was done.

Actually Garrett the touring is my fair weather car. It looks better than the sedan and it's a lot of fun on sunny days but it still needs a lot of work to get it back together.
Let's go.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #46
yachtsmanbill

Whos the handsome guy in the avavtar?

As soon as you turn the switch on, that wire shod become hot. Check it with a voltmeter.. Off should be six volts and runningshoud be about 6.6 - 7 vdc ws
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
[email protected]

Bill, I'm going to test it apre church today. My biggest situation right now is trying to figure out if I can hook into something in the wire harness. I'm really excited to have a car that I can charge the battery on. Now that I've got the thing running so well it would be a great bonus to not have to crank the SOB everytime the battery runs down a little bit. Will that pollinator be running today?
Let's go.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #48
yachtsmanbill

I gotta wait probably another two freakin' weeks to get another starter back from Ohiya. I need to talk with the builder to see if he is gonna accept responsibilty for shipping the bum unit.
Pats son Scott is moving up here today from Shitcago. The 25 year old kid needs to start his life over. Great guy, and very helpful, but a deadbeat. We are putting him up on the couch until he gets a job in town and his own crib. I know times are different but at 25 Pat had a family, and I had 5 years into a career with ComEd, a house, new cars etc... I sincerely wish him the best.
I may go goof off in the shop for a while... So far I had to move a kitchen cabinet for the new ice box coming tomorrow, clear out a closet and straighten up outside the shop in the rain... Brrrrrr...... ws
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #49
[email protected]

This rain has got me dealing with a really bad attitude today. I wanted to do something with the '26 today. You know do something like maybe "DRIVE IT". First I wanted to take it to Church. That didn't work out. Then I thought maybe I'd be able to drive it to my ex-wife's house to celebrate my daughter's birthday. My God my youngest is 31 tomorrow. Holy crap. My oldest turned 38 on Feb 1st. When that kid hits 40 I'm going to feel so old I don't know how I'll react.

Bill, when I was 25 I ended up living with my parents. Because when I was 24 my 1st bitc_ Oops I mean wife left me with my kid and took my brand new car and left me with my '56 Chebby Nomad. Before she left she got a sears charge card and bought herself a house full of furniture. Black leather and the whole works. Then she moved into her mother's house. Because we had a judge that lived most of his life with his head up his A__ my ex got the kid, my new car, all the brand new funiture and 1/2 the value of the house when we sold it. Of course my half went to pay the mortgage because she skipped state for a year and the bank needed to be paid. And in the last 40 years she hasn't changed a bit.
Let's go.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #50
Farmallcub49

Mike,

Doesn't that 26 have a generator?
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #51
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
Mike,

Doesn't that 26 have a generator?
Yes it has a generator that was dead last time I checked it. The wiring had actually been cut on it. And when I tested it with the multimeter it was dead. Then this last weak while I was working on the car I sprayed the manifold bolts with WD40. While I was spraying the second one back the WD40 was running into the generator. When I got the job done yesterday I looked down in the generator and noticed sparking on the top brush. Then I took the wire that comes off the cutout and it sparked against the frame. That's as far as I got with it. It's a little scary because the back of the generator is an open style and the cover is off the cutout. I was going to put a multimeter on it today but my time was taken up with my daughters birthday celebration at the ex's in Foley. So stay tuned for further developments.

I'm in shock at how great the car runs. I'm actually dialing it in as I'm driving it, but the more I mess with it the better it runs. As you said the other day the Kingston's are sensitive to changes but they are responsive too. Now I want to check out the bands. I've got a feeling the original bands are still in the car. I want to go with kevlar. I'm just not sure how bad I want to take the job on. Thanks to you I know what I'm doing but that still doesn't make it fun. I'll bet it takes me longer than 40 minutes. Actually if I had my way I'd re-ring the motor, grind the valves, then do the same job I'm doing on the '21 with the magneto and the crankshaft endplay, and rebuild the tranny. I think I could do the next one faster than the first one. But for now I just want to work on the bands.
Let's go.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #52
[email protected]

When I got done with the '26 the other day I shut it down and everything was peachy. Then later when I went out to the shop there was gas making a puddle on the floor. So today I took the float and needle out and bent the float so it would shut off the gas flow before it flooded over into the carburetor and all over the floor. After getting the float set right I took the car for a drive. I put on about 20 to 25 miles and never had a single issue with it. So I went to the store and filled the tank with gasoline. When I got home I checked the generator to see how many volts it was putting out. I put the multi meter on it and it read 10.5 to 11 VDC. At first there was nothing. So I smacked the case on the generator and it started to work. I'm surprised the generator is putting out that kind of voltage. I wish it would work all the time. But I'm getting zilch sometimes and 11 volts if I hit it with a hammer. I think I recognize a reliability issue.
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #53
Farmallcub49

Mike,

I would pull it out and rebuild it. IF you are not going to do that soon, please take a bare wire and run it from the output terminal of the generator and to one of the cover mounting screws to ground it out. IF not, soon the armature will cook itself and you'll have to buy are rebuilt armature.

Andy
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #54
[email protected]

I was just reading about shutting generators Dow to keep them from burning up.
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
[email protected]

I put a new needle and seat in the Kingston Carb on my '26. I also changed spray needle and put new gaskets in. This along with the new manifold and gaskets and it's running better than I hoped it would. So I should be smiling, right? Well I am but There's a problem. After I drove it the other night I forgot to shut the gas off. I went out a couple hours later and there was a puddle of gas under the carboneater. So because it was a new needle valve and I did mess with the float a little bit I figured the float level was set a little too high. So last night I pulled the float out and reset it so it didn't go so high. Put it back together and before I put the bowl back on I tried them to make sure the gas was going to flow with the bowl on and close without too much pressure or travel. I thought it was perfect. I put it back together, gave the gas time to fill the bowl and started the motor. It ran great until it ran all the gas out of the bowl and then died. Then I gave the bowl time to refill and started it and it ran out of gas, because the bowl was empty. So I took the bowl off again and opened things up a little so it would have a little better flow. I started it up and it ran fine. So it was quitting time so I shut the gas off and today I went out and everything was dry. But I figured I'd check things again, so I fired up the beast and drove it around a bit. Parked it in the driveway and left the gas open. I went out just a little bit ago and there was a puddle under the car. So I looked at the top of the carb and I could see where gas was coming out over the top of the bowl and I'm pretty sure the float is still to high. I say this because it's a brand new seat and there's nothing about the way the needle acts in the seat that causes me to think it's sticking. So my question is; are the floats and needles so sensitive in Kingston carbs that they're this hard to get right. As I said one minute it's not getting enough gas and the next minute it's got gas running all over out of the top of the carb? And I don't mean to be a pain but please don't come back to me and tell me it's a sticking needle valve, when I can turn the problem on and off with the simplest and smallest adjustment of the float. I think it's just that sensitive to adjustments but I'm surprised at how sensitive. I think I've got the old needle and seat and it was working fine before I changed it for the new one. I wonder if there's a chance the seat I bought from my favorite supplier doesn't match up to the old one. Hmmm...

Now for the good news. Thursday around 9:00 AM I'm going over to the neighbors machine shop and spend some time balancing the flywheel and drums for the '21. I'm going to throw the triple gears on a scale and make sure they weigh the same. That then opens up to the opportunity to take the motor and magneto coil and flywheel down to 'OSO Handy Restorations and have them assist me to match the magneto coils and the flywheel and magnets. Once that's done I'll be assembling my '21 and getting it put back together. If things work out right theres a chance I'll have both cars ready to go at the same time. Yee Haw.
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #56
Farmallcub49

Mike the correct float setting for all kingstons is 7/16". This is measured from the top of the float to the machined gasket surface on the throttle body.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #57
[email protected]

Thanks Andy. You're the best. I figured there had to be some kind of a spec. Are they all so sensitive? I've never had as hard a time as I'm having with this one.
Let's go.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #58
yachtsmanbill

The NH Ive got is a gusher or no gas also. Didnt do anything but take it apart and clean it. Gonna try some lapping compound on the flat valve. I also just picked up an L4 Kingston from edog. I needed one with the U joint adjuster as the NH was an earlier model.
Got the SIL moved in and finished up with the DS so that I can get back to the task at hand... Boating time is coming up soon!! ws
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #59
[email protected]

Nothing done on any model t's today. My brother came down to visit from Nordern Mintysoda and we went out and drove around in the '26. Ended up at the local gourmet restaurant. He had a Fillet of Fish with McFrys and a coke. I had a McChicken something with McFrys and a milk. Then he had to go back for another sammich and I had a couple of their miniature McApple McPies. Then after going in to have our stomachs pumped we drove the '26 back home and just stood outside in the beautiful sunny day and spent a couple hours telling lies about out families and how his kids aren't that good looking or not too bright and what geniuses my children are and how good looking they are. Then after I told him what I thought of his kids, I ducked a couple of quick jabs from the left but then he caught me with a right and I gave him a good kick where he really needed a good kick. Then we said goodbye and he went home. All in all it was an eventful time and maybe it'll be nice for him to come back again next year. Actually he'll have to if I'm gonna get my $50.00 back from him. I don't see why I have to pay for his gas to come visit me!
Let's go.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #60
[email protected]

I've had a request from a friend asking me to change the picture in my avatar back to the one that was on here before. And I'm going to change it but not to the one I had before.

Things aren't working out for me to balance my drums and flywheel this morning so I'll be doing them this afternoon.

I'm really looking to the future when I have both my Model T's are running. I'm already thinking about how I can start putting money away so I'll be able to buy a speedster in the future. I'm actually starting to consider where it'll go so the people that run this park won't get on my case too much.

So now I gotta go. I've got things to do yet this morning before I go over to work on my tranny.
Let's go.