Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #141
[email protected]

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

Went to see the shrink today. He said I'll be all right if I get some rest and stop talking to anyone who owns a Model T. I say to heck with that noise. I went out to the shed today and gave the sedan a hug. It was the first time I'd seen it in a couple months. I still like it. I noticed something is sitting up above the headliner causing it to sag down and make a bulge in the headliner. I'm a little scared of what it might be. Hopefully not anything that's alive. I hope I can find time tomorrow to go out and finish getting ready to go to Mr Loso's and put my transmission together for the Model T. We're also going to try to rework the thrust surface on the rear main. I'm hoping with the rebuilt magneto, transmission and rear main the T will run next summer or maybe even several summers without any major repairs. I want to be able to start tuning up the sedan.

I went today and Picked up a '91 Mustang with a 5.0 HO motor in it. The outside of the car doesn't have a single emblem or badge on it and has a lot under the hood. I think it's what we used to call a sleeper. The car is 20 years old and has only 93000 miles on it. I really don't want to give it to my kid but he needs some way to get my grandkids down here from Northern Minnesota so I can see them a little more often than every 2 - 4 years. It's called a bribe and it's legal if you do it to your family.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #142
yachtsmanbill

WELL!! My shrink made me Italian meatballs and home made stuffed shells with Ricotta, parmesan and a six cheese blend, and now she expects me to do the dishes Hahahahahahaha!!!
DAWN really works good on degreasing yer nails BTW!!! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #143
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
WELL!! My shrink made me Italian meatballs and home made stuffed shells with Ricotta, parmesan and a six cheese blend, and now she expects me to do the dishes Hahahahahahaha!!!
DAWN really works good on degreasing yer nails BTW!!! ws
I noticed the benefits of dawn. I'm a bachelor and I don't throw my dishes away anymore so I've had to start washing them once in awhile. Did you notice how hard syrup can get if it sits on a plate for a couple months. And green beans will actually become fuzzy in the bottom of the sink. But between the dog's tongue, a little dawn and some water a person can actually save some of those plastic picnic plates and the red Solo cups. I found out if you turn one faucet in the right direction the water gets hot. I felt sorry for that dog. She apparently didn't know that water can be hot too. If she wouldn't of closed her eye fast enough we'd of had a dog in trouble.
Let's go.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #144
yachtsmanbill

I find dried dog spit one of the worst offenders to try and get off of 3 month old dirty dishes... a drop of water and it comes back to life. Like reconstituted onions, only different... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJjnKzHMT18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtMy5IBmX7E&ob=av3n
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #145
yachtsmanbill

A man went to visit his 90 year old grandfather and while eating the breakfast of eggs and bacon prepared for him, he noticed a film-like substance on his plate. So he says, "Grandfather, are these plates clean?" His grandfather replies, "Those plates are as clean as cold water can get them, so go on and finish your meal." That afternoon, while eating the hamburgers his grandfather made for lunch, he noticed many little black specks around the edge of his plate so again he asked, "Grandfather are you sure these plates are clean?" Without looking up from his burger, the grandfather says, "I told you those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them, now don't ask me about it anymore." Well, later that day, they were on their way out to get dinner. As he was leaving the house, grandfather's dog who was lying on the floor started to growl and would not let him pass. "Grandfather, your dog won't let me out." Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching, his grandfather shouted, "Coldwater, get your ass out of the way!"

Ponchos' in HOT WATER now!! ws
Old 02-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #146
[email protected]

I tried to tell ya!! There as Poncho could get them. But why are the green beans hairy?
Let's go.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #147
yachtsmanbill

Maybe a science experiment gone bad?? I had a friend who owned a double wide... a nice one too! That guy was such a lousy housekeeper that he coined the term "mancave". About 20 years ago his gramma died and left him a baby grand piano. Ten years ago I stopped by and all four legs had gone through the floor, and I swear the same dishes were still in the sink from TEN YEARS before that! You got nuthin' on him pal!

Took a spin up to Green Bay today for a stop at Habitat for Humanity store. TONS of building surplus supplies donated. Like $1 for a gallon of paint and $50 whirlpool tubs... didnt find anything...this time anyway. Check out the local store. Theyre all over the country.

Got shipping quotes today for some wheels and stuff and those will go out tomorrow. That frees up a couple of bucks for some T parts. Im still playing with the front end stuff and also planning ahead, as usual... Im toying with the idea for a starter motor instead of twisting that bastard until I have a Gran Maul siezure. Speaking with the Bear in St.Joe about a unit... I want to run 12 volts for lights etc and a belt driven 12 volt alternator. I never realized that all the model T starter motors went to NASA for the Mars project. Titantium bendix springs? Gold bars on the commutators? Assembled in "clean rooms"? I knew Henry was thinking ahead, but did he really invest in "futures"??
Serviceable starters used to be $5 all day long as a kid! Like pour a gallon of gas through them to wash the grease out, put them in the sun for an hour to dry, then bolt them up and have fun. ws
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #148
yachtsmanbill

UH OH!! New lug nuts came in today with 100 SS washers. Gonna make a set of beveled washers for the nuts, but for now they sure look cool! A retro look... BULLET NUTS.

Played with the column mount for a while... got the upper rail re-enforcement welded up, ground and painted. Still guessing at the angle etc. As the mount sits now, the angle probably dropped 15-20 degrees and the wheel is about 10 inches lower, closer to the lap. The pedal seem like a long reach, but sitting on a wood box with no floor makes it a crap shoot. At worst, Ill hafta make some pedal extenders like the ones they make for the reverse pedal. Ho Hum... ws

NUTS said the queen...

If I had 'em Id be KING
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #149
yachtsmanbill

Bracketry is turning out nice. The drag link falls within about 1/2" so itll take just a tad of a bend to relieve that. What a relief LOL. Im sure once the column is bolted to the firewall and dash bottom itll feel great. Right now just sitting on that box, you can barely get a feel for the actual wheel. Its merely wired to the hood former.
The pics show the new lower mount. The front bolt is snugged up to the frame and the rear bolt leaves about a 3/4" gap... thatll be the wedge I hafta make with a corresponding wedge on the firewall.
I have a nice piece of bright aluminum diamond plate for the firewall, with the original trimmed hood former bolted to that. I have mixed emotions about having a cowl, or going "cowl less"... ws

I left the bracket bolted in place while I welded her up. Nice and firm now!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #150
yachtsmanbill

This shows the drop in the bracket. Orginally it was mounted to the bottom frame rail. Now its on the top with the angle causing a lower stance on the wheel. I often think about Henry Ford staying up all night figgerin' and buildin' a prototype. My mentor!! ws

The steering shaft is slid down a good inch. Itll go back up until the timer lever just clears the frame rail...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #151
[email protected]

Papa whooo mau mau!!!! Man that's sure looking good. If the King had chrome nuts the queen wouldn't have to ask. I committed a sin today. i was supposed to finish gettiing my transmission parts ready for assembly today. Instead I went out shooting. Boy did that ever turn out to be a disaster. My Ruger 9 mm wouldn't feed out of the clip and I had to leave it at the shop where I bought it. As I was leaving one of the guys walked out with me and told me he quit buying Rugers because they always have trouble feeding rounds and hanging up. And that's a shame because the gun is super accurate at 30 feet and really fun to shoot until it hangs up. Maybe I'm going to have to look at a double action revolver. Then I took the 9 mm Llama and tried that out. it shoots with absolutely no accuracy. I would have had more of a chance hitting the target is I'd of taken a slingshot and let the rounds go straight up in the air. That SOB is so inaccurate I doubt is the bullets would hit the ground if i shot them from 2 feet. But I didn't feel too bad. It's not an American gun and I kind of expected some inaccuracy but really didn't expect it to be so bad. But I'm going to clean it up and take it out again and see if it'll be any better the next time. Then I took out the Colt Officer 45 ACP and it shot every bit as good as the Llama. Once again I'm going to clean it up and take it back out again and see if it'll be any better. I'm going for my conceal and carry on Saturday so I hope my Ruger is in better shape by then. I want to use it on the range as part of the class for the conceal and carry. So tomorrow is time to work on the transmission then back to the range to do a little more shooting. Then Saturday is conceal and carry classes. Then Sunday is off to St Joe to have Mr Loso help me assemble the transmission. Saturday night I'm supposed to be in Grand Rapids at a party for all of us who graduated together from Grand Rapids High School in 1968. But I'll have to see how tired I am after the classes. I want to start putting a real effort into getting my '21 touring car ready for next summer. But for now I'm going to go pour my self another Windsor on ice, sit back and contemplate how nice winter can be for ones piece of mind.
Let's go.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #152
yachtsmanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Papa whooo mau mau!!!! Man that's sure looking good. If the King had chrome nuts the queen wouldn't have to ask. I committed a sin today. i was supposed to finish gettiing my transmission parts ready for assembly today. Instead I went out shooting. Boy did that ever turn out to be a disaster. My Ruger 9 mm wouldn't feed out of the clip and I had to leave it at the shop where I bought it. As I was leaving one of the guys walked out with me and told me he quit buying Rugers because they always have trouble feeding rounds and hanging up. And that's a shame because the gun is super accurate at 30 feet and really fun to shoot until it hangs up. Maybe I'm going to have to look at a double action revolver. Then I took the 9 mm Llama and tried that out. it shoots with absolutely no accuracy. I would have had more of a chance hitting the target is I'd of taken a slingshot and let the rounds go straight up in the air. That SOB is so inaccurate I doubt is the bullets would hit the ground if i shot them from 2 feet. But I didn't feel too bad. It's not an American gun and I kind of expected some inaccuracy but really didn't expect it to be so bad. But I'm going to clean it up and take it out again and see if it'll be any better the next time. Then I took out the Colt Officer 45 ACP and it shot every bit as good as the Llama. Once again I'm going to clean it up and take it back out again and see if it'll be any better. I'm going for my conceal and carry on Saturday so I hope my Ruger is in better shape by then. I want to use it on the range as part of the class for the conceal and carry. So tomorrow is time to work on the transmission then back to the range to do a little more shooting. Then Saturday is conceal and carry classes. Then Sunday is off to St Joe to have Mr Loso help me assemble the transmission. Saturday night I'm supposed to be in Grand Rapids at a party for all of us who graduated together from Grand Rapids High School in 1968. But I'll have to see how tired I am after the classes. I want to start putting a real effort into getting my '21 touring car ready for next summer. But for now I'm going to go pour my self another Windsor on ice, sit back and contemplate how nice winter can be for ones piece of mind.
I thought you were gonna tell me how accurate they were... When I bought them I bench fired them from some sand bags and they were 90-95 percent "in the zone" with silhoettes at 50-75 feet...Quit tring to Arnold shoot them... This aint Bollywood. Hmmm ws
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #153
[email protected]

Quote:
I thought you were gonna tell me how accurate they were... When I bought them I bench fired them from some sand bags and they were 90-95 percent "in the zone" with silhoettes at 50-75 feet...Quit tring to Arnold shoot them... This aint Bollywood. Hmmm ws
Now wait a minute. Did you read at the start of my post where I said something about the Ruger shooting really good. I gotta tell ya now not to get too nervous about what I said about the Colt and the Llama. I've fired the Ruger in the past because I've owned it for awhile and knew what to expect. I'm certain there's nothing wrong with the accuracy of the Colt or the Llama. Because of my being so familiar with the Ruger I was shooting with a small target. Because I am familiar with the Ruger I shot with a lot more comfort. I knew what to expect. I'll agree I'm not a shooting instructor any more but I like to think the military did a pretty darn good job of teaching me how to shoot and I've still got my shooting metals to prove it. So you can be assured I wasn't trying to "Arnold" shoot them. I used the grip, stance and sight alignment methods I was taught. And I believe that's why I'm able to shoot the Ruger as good as I can. I realize I shouldn't have attacked the accuracy of the guns the way I did. I should have said that my ability to shoot accurately with them was a problem. So take it easy, give me time and let me spend some more time with them, then if I can't hit a broad in a barn I'll seek advice from my Saturday shooting instructor. I'm not too concerned about whether the Llama is ever going to shoot perfectly because I plan on using that as trading material anyway. But I dearly love that colt and let's see what I can come up with. At any rate I didn't try to pass any failure or complaints along. I was simply trying to say what happened today. I still love ya man. Oh crap now I've taken the whole deal a little too far. And I would have been a lot happier if I could have gotten that Garand. Rest assured, once I get done getting that tranny ready to go I'm going to go back out and try another pile of ammonamistion.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-23-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #154
yachtsmanbill

Man!! Its a blinding white out over here! Got about 1-1/2" overnight and its still snowing... maybe as much as another 1/4 today! Hope we have enough coffee and toilet paper LOL... Yeah, right. Finally have the wifes permission to go play in the man cave today; had the last two days off (when I couldnt sneak out for an hour anyway!).
Should get all that steering stuff straightened out and welded up so I can really get to work on that firewall! ws
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #155
[email protected]

I've decided that if I want to go into anyplace the only one I have to ask is me. But you wouldn't believe how often I get told all about all the other crap that needs to be done. Life can be so unfair. But now I've got a transmission to work on.
Let's go.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #156
yachtsmanbill

I just got busted! Had a bunch of DS to do.. ( domestik sheist) like move some extra room doors, clean out some vacuum cleaners and re-connect the drier duct. Meanwhile Pats' making breakfast... cranberry pancakes with 1/4" thick pepper crusted bacon. THEN Ill go shovel the snow; well maybe use the electric start blower on it. Cant afford a grabber today; got Model T work to do!
WILLY works from sun to sun, but Patty's work is never done! ws
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #157
yachtsmanbill

Two days off and it broke my stride... couldnt get my game on! Played with the radiator and hood and ended up ordering a rad mount kit from Langs. The rad has to be mounted and square to fit the hood, to fit the firewall, to fit the column... its the snowball conspiracy!
Come to find I have a tall rad and shell, with a tall early hood top, a tall 25 firewall, and short early hood sides with no hood latch notches. I think Im gonna run just the hood top with some hold down straps.
Tomorrow is welding day... Ive been slacking long enough! ws

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #158
[email protected]

Oh my God Mr Stephan. That thing looks absolutely great with that set of wheels, radiator and hood on it. I've always liked the looks of a speedster without the hood sides and with hold down straps on it. Make sure you've got a decent wind screen on it. I know your not planning on having anything happening but you never know what kind of oil or hot material can come out from that hood. If I behave myself can I come over again in a couple of months. It I'm able to squeeze some money out of my paychecks maybe I can tow my touring over on the trailer and we can run together for a day or two. If I could park it at your place and stay at the Lighthouse I'd be pretty happy.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #159
yachtsmanbill

SURE... The overnite parking ban gets lifted March 15. I hope Im done by then! Just paid for the summer slip for the boat yesterday! ws
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #160
[email protected]

Quote:
Just paid for the summer slip for the boat yesterday! ws
So is that a hint that your going to charge me for parking my T at your house? I knew things were getting tough for the elderly but...
Let's go.