Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
fordman67

Default my 1925 tudor project thread

O.K. so here goes. I an still a bit new to the Fordbarn but have begun to work on our newly aquired 25 tudor.If it is alright i will post pics as I go and ask questions when I need some help.I figured I would do this rather than have a bunch of threads and maybe help others along the way.
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
fordman67

Default Re: my 1925 tudor project thread

This is when I went and picked it up....

Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
fordman67

So I was pulling the drivers wheel off to prepare for pulling axle to check evreything out and pack wheel bearings etc. But I also noticed thatthe drivers wheels both on front and back do not match and are completly wrong.Anyone got any opinions on where they came from? I am thinking chevy? I will also be adding pics of engine removal and tear down.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
jackdaron

They look like 21 inch to me. What is the problem. 21 inch ballon tires were introduced in 1925.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
fordman67

Note the 1/4 inch gap between center and rim.there is not a gap on pass side.and pass have a diff shape to them and fit tight unlike these.also the tabs have been welded poorly on so that is not right either
Old 11-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
[email protected]

I guess the point should be whether the wheels are safe or not. For the sake of safety, don't second guess. If your uncomfortable with the way the rim fits on the wheel, to assure safety for you and your passengers, replace the questionable parts. I never try to save a buck when it comes to safety.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Willie in Houston

Some Chevy rims had the valve stem hole in a different position in relation to the lugs. The lugs may have been relocated to make the valve stem fit?? Look and see if there is signs of grinding on the rim in four spots. This might indicate where the lugs may have been.????????
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
fordman67

The gap around the inner rim in my opinion means that the outer diameter is soley supported on the bolts.Seems a bit scary..or am I making too much of it...I will seperate the two tonight and examine it better.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
CharlieB

Nice car. The wheel pics aren't the clearest but the lugs look like they've been messed with. Swap the front tires and see how the other rim looks on that wheel.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
fordman67

I am going to tear down both and examine more in depth.

I did get the front end torn down tonight.Whom ever did the king pins did not ream the bushings correctly nor faced them correctly.NO rust but they were so incredibly tight I liked to never got the pins out!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Willie in Houston

Don't get to far ahead on the disassembly. I find it is much easier to do a part at a time. By part, I mean front end, rear end, engine and reassemble after repaired.
With everything apart on the floor the job may look bigger than it really is. Also it can be a little easier on the wallet to do a little at a time. Just a thought, I have one car totally apart for over 20 years.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Bubby Sharp in KY

Fordman67 , Now is a good time to disasemble the front spring and lube between the leaves with lubriplate or graphite grease . You ought to replace the shackles and bushings if needed also. Bubby Sharp in KY
Bubby Sharp in KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
fordman67

Yes,I am doing this one project at a time as i can.But since I am waiting on engine stuff I am doing the front end and then after front I will tear into the rear to check out and replace those diff washers. also part of the front end is that I have a source of free powder coating so I am also having the front parts powdered at the same time.

It really is weird that I have never seen a set of shackles that was not just flat worn did they wear out in like 10 miles or what.AND tie rod ends are worn out but king pins were so tight I almost could not remove them.They must have been done.I am going to run the reamer through them tomorrow night.I bet they never were reamed in the first place.Also I pulled the fire wall and it will get powdered.

I disassembled the head lights and started on blasting them to get them painted.They are a different set than came on the car since original set had one that had a bolt welded on the bottom.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
fordman67

Well fellas,It is getting hard to not get discouraged. I just cant touch anything on this thing that is not screwd up or worn out.

Inner wheel bearings bad after i looked at them and thought they were ok but then I cleaned in the solvent tank.AND nope.One was so worn out that the cage and rollers just fell apart after cleaning.

So then I pull rims off of the front centers.Well what a bunch of trash.One of the inners has lag screws run from the out sides into the spokes...thus splitting most spokes.GREAT! long story short I only need 3 rims and one center and tires and tubes just to get it back on rolling stock for the road...I really like this thing but my hopes of being able to drive it this coming spring and summer are pretty much out the window at this point..
Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Great Lakes Greg

Chassis parts are plentifull and easy to obtain. The biggest victim here may be your budget. You are still way ahead of the game with that clean sheet metal, so all is not lost. I have found that the restoration of the chassis components has been the most rewarding part of ownership. You KNOW it will be tight, clean, and safe, and you'll learn so much more about the car than if you just drove it.
I am looking forward to your continued progress.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
Richard Wilson

Hang in there! After all it is an eighty-six year old USED car. I think you WILL be on the road by summer. As has already been said, break the restoration into small projects so that you will not get overwhelmed.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
fordman67

Thanks guys! Sorry ,I will keep my head up.

Is there any reason to keep these 21s ? I keep seeing 30's
for sale in better condition I believe than mine.I also like the look
as they make for an older look. Or will the 21 baloons ride better?
I have plenty of experience w the 21s but never ridden in a 30 equipped T.

Hopefully also since my birthday is thurs so maybe there will be some supplemental income for a few parts....

I will also put up some more pics of engine tear down also today I hope.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
46ford

Was there something wrong with the engine?
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
fordman67

The head gasket had seeped coolant into the #3 cylinder.The coolant erroded the piston down to the top ring in a nickel size spot. Two other pistons had corroded the alluminum to the cylinder. It from my estimation and the provided info from seller had most likely been sitting 20 years.Morale of the story,drain the cooland if storing long term.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #20
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Your Doing Fine! The car its self looks good from the pictures. Look at it this way, now you can rebuild it your self, and there won't be any guess work on how good it was done, or what is in it. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote