Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
39portlander

Default T-5 and a Flathead...

Have an option to get my old winterbeater 93 S-10 back, won't pass inspection any more but was thinking the T-5 tranny may be worth grabbing. Drove it and still shifts and drives great.

Have seen lots of posts on the subject, may grab it for a future project, any input would be great.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: T-5 and a Flathead...

Grab it quick. That trans is a great piece. Keep the drive shaft, The rear end could be used in a street rod. Maybe sell the engine. You can get good money for for rest in the scrap yard. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Flat Ernie

It will have an electronic speedo and should have the 3.76 gearset. '93 was a transition year for GM, and some of their trannys ended up with the Ford bellhousing pattern, but most 93 S10 seem to have the GM pattern....

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
jack orchard

i also have a 93 t-5 trans (tag #234). an adapter maker told me the input shaft was too long and that i could't use it on a 8ba. have you been told this? it makes no sense to me. there must be a fix for this problem.
maybe it's not a problem. anyone have ideas? thanks to all.
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Krylon32

Jack: The length of the input shaft is the same from at least 85 up. I have both for patterns and am currently trying to get a handle on making another complete adaptor kit using the 93 up S-10 trans to supplement my standard kit for the earlier S-10 trans.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
ford1933-2008

Hi,

I am fitting a 1953 Mercury engine to my 1933 ford and my mechanic says I need an early model T5 transmission with the shifter mounted to the front of the drive shaft housing so that the T5 shifter comes in where the old shifter came through the floor. I'm not sure whether this is the case. Can anyone tell me which model transmission I should be getting. Appreciate the help.

David
ford1933-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
jack orchard

Krylon32: thanks for the info. please keep me informed with your progress.
i am interested. my input shaft is approx. 7.2"
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
39portlander

Thank's Walt, can't say no to my old wheels. on top of that it's free
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1933-2008 View Post
Hi,

I am fitting a 1953 Mercury engine to my 1933 ford and my mechanic says I need an early model T5 transmission with the shifter mounted to the front of the drive shaft housing so that the T5 shifter comes in where the old shifter came through the floor.

The T5s up to about '84 or so had mechanical speedometer drives... much easier to adapt. The later T5s had electronic speedo drives.

The position of a T5's shifter is determined by the vehicle it was in. A T5 out of an S10 truck will have the shifter way forward, right behind the main case. A T5 out of a Camaro or Mustang will have the shifter way aft. A T5 out of a Chevy Astro Van will have the shifter about in the middle between those two.

The main thing to consider when buying a T5 is the gear set... the ratios of the five gears. However, a good shop can install just about any gear set into just about any main case.

Also, starting out with a T5 that has a Ford bolt pattern and a Ford input shaft will make your installation a lot easier.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
ford1933-2008

Thanks very much for the heads up. I'll start the search.

David
ford1933-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
39portlander

That T-5 Tech section is great, thank's for that post Ernie
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

If someone ever comes up with a T5 conversion that would drop right in my '35 w/o the need to modify the center of X member and fit up to the closed drive torque tube, I would be over the moon. How about it Krylon32, Flat Ernie, or Richard... is it even technically feasible??

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
34coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
If someone ever comes up with a T5 conversion that would drop right in my '35 w/o the need to modify the center of X member and fit up to the closed drive torque tube, I would be over the moon. How about it Krylon32, Flat Ernie, or Richard... is it even technically feasible??
Try Cornhusker Rod & Custom for more info, Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

The most difficult part of using the Ford case is: no one is making an adapter for it, and I don't know why, it's quit simple for the 49-53 bell housing. Vern Tardel made them back a few years ago.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The most difficult part of using the Ford case is: no one is making an adapter for it, and I don't know why, it's quit simple for the 49-53 bell housing. Vern Tardel made them back a few years ago.
Ol' Ron's right about the adapter. Motor City Flatheads also used to make them, but no more. However, it's a simple one-piece plate that can be machined out of steel or aluminum. There are drawings floating around with all the dimensions.

If you use a T5 with a Ford bolt pattern, the two bottom holes in the T5 exactly match the two bottom holes in the bellhousing. With a Ford input shaft you can use your stock pilot bearing and stock throwout bearing and clutch linkage... starter, too.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
TomT/Williamsburg

Just my 2 cents and speaking of my own personal experience(s)....

I've done several S10 T5 setups on 35-40s and on my 32 - in no way can I see NOT having to modify the frame in some way. Your only recourse is to either use another frame or pieces there of and have the ability to put it back to stock/original. In 35-40s and 41 p-ups, IF you minimally modify your frame's center "X" for the tailshaft to stick into and get things all squared away with speedo cable, etc, should you have to service the tranny, change a clutch, etc, you will have to pull both the engine and trans as a unit to do so. A real big pain in the butt. I built my 32 that way and I have had to pull the engine-trans combo out 6 times already due to issues/problems, and perhaps with the 7th time coming up this winter to solve a bad rear main seal in my new engine.

Now, I do think there's an article on a top-loader Jeep 4/5-speed that you may NOT have to modify the frame and perhaps even keep the torque tube - do a search on the HAMB as I remember the Jeep tranny idea came from there?

Ya gotta know that these 5-speeds really perk up a flatty, giving them a driveability Henry never dreamed of. For the purists I think I would swap out to a 3:54 gearset and put some 30-31" tall tires in the back - that would drop the RPMs and at least make the stock 3-speed do tolerable well at speed with decent gas mileage. No mods to any major car structure and, if you have a complete second rear, a days work to swap back to your original rear and tires. It's up to you ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
tiquer

Anyone on here done the swap into a 53 ford 1/2 ton P.U. with the cast iron bell the ears that bolts to a cross member .I was told these bells are deeper than the car 8ba bell??
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
am currently trying to get a handle on making another complete adaptor kit using the 93 up S-10 trans to supplement my standard kit for the earlier S-10 trans.
Doesn't Wilcap already have an adapter for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1933-2008 View Post
I am fitting a 1953 Mercury engine to my 1933 ford and my mechanic says I need an early model T5 transmission with the shifter mounted to the front of the drive shaft housing so that the T5 shifter comes in where the old shifter came through the floor.
The application, not the year, determines the shifter position. You want an S10 T5 with the most forward shifter location. Early late has more to do with gear ratios (normally) and speedo type (electronic vs cable), but the very last S10 T5 use the Ford front (bolt pattern & input shaft).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Florida View Post

The T5s up to about '84 or so had mechanical speedometer drives... much easier to adapt. The later T5s had electronic speedo drives.

Typically, the mechanical speedos were used through '88. '89-90 were transition years - I've seen both electronic & mechanical (mostly electronic).

Quote:
The position of a T5's shifter is determined by the vehicle it was in. A T5 out of an S10 truck will have the shifter way forward, right behind the main case. A T5 out of a Camaro or Mustang will have the shifter way aft. A T5 out of a Chevy Astro Van will have the shifter about in the middle between those two.
Some T-birds also had a mid-shifter.

Quote:
Also, starting out with a T5 that has a Ford bolt pattern and a Ford input shaft will make your installation a lot easier.
I think that's in the eye of the beholder. I think if you're looking for off-the-shelf-easy, the Camaro T5 is the easiest to get bolted up, but you need to swap the S10 tailshaft for most hot-rod applications. The S10 uses a slightly longer input shaft than the standard Chevy/GM bellhousing the majority of adapters are made for. This has been addressed in various ways and tolerances being what they are, sometimes it just works. The Ford is challenging.

Quote:
W/O modifying your center X-member? Not likely. But everything else you've asked for is do-able.

Quote:
MAC Speed in Australia or New Zealand are making them. Adapting to the 8BA stamped steel bellhousing is supposedly pretty easy, but I've never done that one. I need to look into it more.

Quote:

Ol' Ron's right about the adapter. Motor City Flatheads also used to make them, but no more. However, it's a simple one-piece plate that can be machined out of steel or aluminum. There are drawings floating around with all the dimensions.

If you use a T5 with a Ford bolt pattern, the two bottom holes in the T5 exactly match the two bottom holes in the bellhousing. With a Ford input shaft you can use your stock pilot bearing and stock throwout bearing and clutch linkage... starter, too.
This is why I like the stamped steel bellhousing to try this swap - redrill one hole and weld an ear on the bellhousing for the last hole...at least that's what I've been told. Again, I've never done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
Anyone on here done the swap into a 53 ford 1/2 ton P.U. with the cast iron bell the ears that bolts to a cross member .I was told these bells are deeper than the car 8ba bell??
I wouldn't think they're any deeper - didn't they use all the same basic trans? That would preclude using a different bellhousing...

T5 Tech
Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie View Post
Doesn't Wilcap already have an adapter for this?

The application, not the year, determines the shifter position. You want an S10 T5 with the most forward shifter location. Early late has more to do with gear ratios (normally) and speedo type (electronic vs cable), but the very last S10 T5 use the Ford front (bolt pattern & input shaft).

Typically, the mechanical speedos were used through '88. '89-90 were transition years - I've seen both electronic & mechanical (mostly electronic).

Some T-birds also had a mid-shifter.

I think that's in the eye of the beholder. I think if you're looking for off-the-shelf-easy, the Camaro T5 is the easiest to get bolted up, but you need to swap the S10 tailshaft for most hot-rod applications. The S10 uses a slightly longer input shaft than the standard Chevy/GM bellhousing the majority of adapters are made for. This has been addressed in various ways and tolerances being what they are, sometimes it just works. The Ford is challenging.

W/O modifying your center X-member? Not likely. But everything else you've asked for is do-able.

MAC Speed in Australia or New Zealand are making them. Adapting to the 8BA stamped steel bellhousing is supposedly pretty easy, but I've never done that one. I need to look into it more.

This is why I like the stamped steel bellhousing to try this swap - redrill one hole and weld an ear on the bellhousing for the last hole...at least that's what I've been told. Again, I've never done it.

I wouldn't think they're any deeper - didn't they use all the same basic trans? That would preclude using a different bellhousing...
Yes they have an adapter but I was told it only fits the car bell?? Cast or stampt steel
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
Junknshit
Banned

Question Re: T-5 and a Flathead...

I'm certainly no expert on this, but over the years I have heard of a deeper truck housing also, but was told it was in big trucks with a heavier 4 speed tranny.

I do know that they made a stamped steel housing and two different cast housings for 49 to 53 cars. One is a complete surround housing that uses a stamped steel TO bearing arm/fork and the other was open on the bottom with a tin cover for the bottom and used a cross shaft throw out bearing fork.

We ran some 64 & up top loaders behind flatties and the hole in the complete surround housings, both stamped and cast, for the front bearing retainer would only accept top loaders with the 1 1/16th shaft and retainer while the open bottom one would accept the top loaders with the 1 3/8th shaft and retainer. Two different sized retainer holes.

We got some of these housings (open bottom) out of U.S. mfgd cars, and one of them out of Canadian mfgd 1954 flattie powered Meteor. One of them also came out of a 48 F-1 truck, that I thought at the time someone had put a 49 - 53 engine in, but was told that the 48 F-1 came with it from the factory. I don't know if any of the other cars we got these housings out of had been subjected to engine or other changes or not as most of them came from a "wrecking yard" that all of the (to put it nicely, as this is not what most people called us) younger generation of vehicle modifiers used.
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junknshit View Post
I'm certainly no expert on this, but over the years I have heard of a deeper truck housing also, but was told it was in big trucks with a heavier 4 speed tranny.

I do know that they made a stamped steel housing and two different cast housings for 49 to 53 cars. One is a complete surround housing that uses a stamped steel TO bearing arm/fork and the other was open on the bottom with a tin cover for the bottom and used a cross shaft throw out bearing fork.

We ran some 64 & up top loaders behind flatties and the hole in the complete surround housings, both stamped and cast, for the front bearing retainer would only accept top loaders with the 1 1/16th shaft and retainer while the open bottom one would accept the top loaders with the 1 3/8th shaft and retainer. Two different sized retainer holes.

We got some of these housings (open bottom) out of U.S. mfgd cars, and one of them out of Canadian mfgd 1954 flattie powered Meteor. One of them also came out of a 48 F-1 truck, that I thought at the time someone had put a 49 - 53 engine in, but was told that the 48 F-1 came with it from the factory. I don't know if any of the other cars we got these housings out of had been subjected to engine or other changes or not as most of them came from a "wrecking yard" that all of the (to put it nicely, as this is not what most people called us) younger generation of vehicle modifiers used.
I believe the 48-52 light truck with the three speed are alike and in 53 the bell changed to the one with the ears and the trans was a short three speed that had no rear mount. It was bolted to the bell only.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #22
felix37

Quote:
Don't worry about modifying the X member! once you go to a T-5 and rid yourself of the old 3 speed and enclosed drive shaft, the thought of ever putting it back will never come up. just my opinion!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #23
bloodyjack

You need to modify the x member, shorten the torque tube and get a T5, from a 4x4 here is my drive train. Were the transfer case would have been is a nifty torque tube adapter.

bloodyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
Ol' Ron

OH! I like that, these T-5's are getting better all the time.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
HIGHTOWER611

Quote:
Hey Ron I found this in Flathead Jacks online catolgue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T5 FORD.jpg (11.7 KB, 314 views)
HIGHTOWER611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #26
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyjack View Post
You need to modify the x member, shorten the torque tube and get a T5, from a 4x4 here is my drive train. Were the transfer case would have been is a nifty torque tube adapter.

Quote:
OH! I like that, these T-5's are getting better all the time.
That's the S10 4x4. The Jeep 4x4 T5 is much shorter. It's on the back-burner, but I've collected the parts for a hybrid T5 to torque-tube for my '40. It will consist of an S10 case, Jeep 4x4 tailshaft, and Astrovan gearset with a modified ultra-high 5th gear. With the right length adapter between the T5 and the torque tube, I can use an unmodified (length) '33-34 torque-tube & driveshaft. Initial tape measure engineering looks like I may get away with minimal modification to the crossmember, but we'll see once I actually start...

There is a commercially produced adapter to mate the S10 4x4 to the torque-tube. Dan Bridges makes it and Steve Serr is marketing it.

T5 Tech
Old 11-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
Ol' Ron

Hightower611, I've seen that the adapter I made for Richard was an11/16 plate with that bolted to the stock 49-53 Ford bellhousing and then the Y-5 bolted to it. all done.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #28
Richard in Florida

Default Ol' Ron's Simple T5 Adapter

Quote:
Hightower611, the adapter I made for Richard was an 11/16" plate. With that bolted to the stock 49-53 Ford bellhousing and then the T5 bolted to it, all done.
This is all true and I've been enjoying it trouble free for some time now.

I've described here several times how simple and easy this particular adaptation is. Nothing to buy but a clutch disk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120-2039_IMG.jpg (90.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 120-2036_IMG.jpg (85.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
HIGHTOWER611

Default Re: Ol' Ron's Simple T5 Adapter

Quote:
This is all true and I've been enjoying it trouble free for some time now.

I've described here several times how simple and easy this particular adaptation is. Nothing to buy but a clutch disk.
Looks great! I have one of Dwight Bonds adaptors for the S10 T5 units and it is a simple item. Just a different bolt pattern for the different unit. The Mustang T5 does have better gearing than many of the S10 T5's. Ron, you are definitely a man who has been there and done that. I appreciate all your knowledge and feedback.
HIGHTOWER611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #30
Richard in Florida

Default Re: Ol' Ron's Simple T5 Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHTOWER611 View Post
Looks great! I have one of Dwight Bonds adaptors for the S10 T5 units and it is a simple item. Just a different bolt pattern for the different unit. The Mustang T5 does have better gearing than many of the S10 T5's. Ron, you are definitely a man who has been there and done that. I appreciate all your knowledge and feedback.
Something to keep in mind about T5s: just about any gear set can be put into just about any T5 case, "World Class" and "Non-world Class." So with a little planning and careful buying you can have just the gears you want AND just the shifter position you want as well.

For example, mine has Astro Van cases with the mid-position shifter. It has the Ford bolt pattern which makes things easy. It has a 2.95 (first gear) gears set installed in it with a Ford input shaft. The output shaft is GM with a mechanical speedometer drive. It's exactly what I wanted, and it works great.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
tiquer

Ok now we are talking. I have a 1990 GM s-10 trans but I also have a mustang case with the front input shaft. So I can I stuff the s-10 gears into the ford case and use the ford input shaft Or am I reading this wrong?? If the ford input would work with the Gm gear set in the ford case that would be the equivalent to winning the lottery
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #32
Ol' Ron

The input shaft has to match the cluster, so there could be a problem with gear ratio selection. As for the adapter, I love the credit for the adapter but, Richard designed it. I just made it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #33
Richard in Florida

Quote:
The input shaft has to match the cluster, so there could be a problem with gear ratio selection. As for the adapter, I love the credit for the adapter but, Richard designed it. I just made it.
Ron might be right about the input shaft. My gear set is either a Camaro or Mustang set, non-world class. However, I reviewed the paperwork from the builder (Astro Performance) and it doesn't specify which; it may not matter.

As for the adapter, the original design was by Norm Sherwood who used to haunt the old Fordbarn. Thank you, Norm.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
bloodyjack

I have the Dwight Bond adapter and a 49 F1 hogshead up front its great because as you can see it even has the support for the model A pedals.

Last edited by bloodyjack; 11-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #35
tiquer

Quote:
Yes that crossed my mind also . I was just on the Wilcap site and they have a picture of the bell I have and state it is too deep for the s-10 trans but that the ford T5 fits with some slight adapting. Sounds like I should be on the prowel for a ford T5 and save the s10 for my 46 truck.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #36
Ol' Ron

We learn by doin
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #37
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
I have a 1990 GM s-10 trans but I also have a mustang case with the front input shaft. So I can I stuff the s-10 gears into the ford case and use the ford input shaft Or am I reading this wrong?? If the ford input would work with the Gm gear set in the ford case that would be the equivalent to winning the lottery
Quote:
The input shaft has to match the cluster, so there could be a problem with gear ratio selection.
Quote:

Ron might be right about the input shaft. My gear set is either a Camaro or Mustang set, non-world class. However, I reviewed the paperwork from the builder (Astro Performance) and it doesn't specify which; it may not matter.
The input shaft must be the same class (WC or NWC) and same ratio 1st gear to match the cluster. Otherwise, it won't even fit. In Richard's case, it just so happens that the early NWC Mustang used the same gears as the early NWC Camaro, so swapping input shafts is do-able. Later Mustangs had both a different ratio and were all WC units. Even after the Camaro went to WC, the ratios were different. So there can be no swapping of input shafts between the two.

Incidentally, to my knowledge, all the 4x4 T5 use the 4.03 gearset, which is the least desirable, IMO.

T5 Tech
Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #38
tiquer

Quote:
The input shaft must be the same class (WC or NWC) and same ratio 1st gear to match the cluster. Otherwise, it won't even fit. In Richard's case, it just so happens that the early NWC Mustang used the same gears as the early NWC Camaro, so swapping input shafts is do-able. Later Mustangs had both a different ratio and were all WC units. Even after the Camaro went to WC, the ratios were different. So there can be no swapping of input shafts between the two.

Incidentally, to my knowledge, all the 4x4 T5 use the 4.03 gearset, which is the least desirable, IMO.
Thanks for the info. I will be looking for a mustang t5 for the 53 f-100 and go with an offy style adapter for the s10 T5
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #39
Richard in Florida

Quote:
The input shaft must be the same class (WC or NWC) and same ratio 1st gear to match the cluster. Otherwise, it won't even fit. In Richard's case, it just so happens that the early NWC Mustang used the same gears as the early NWC Camaro, so swapping input shafts is do-able.
I just heard back from Tony Sarvis, president of Astro Performance. A MAJOR portion of what they do is build custom and special T5 and similar transmissions for a variety of high performance uses.

My question was: "Does this mean that because I have a Ford input shaft that I also have a Mustang rather than a Camaro 2.95 gear set?"

Tony said: "It could be either of the two. Since all of the 1st-3rd gears were the same part numbers & components on the V8 Camaro & V8 Mustang T5 Non World Class gear boxes. I know Gerry built your unit with a 27 spline output, so I'm thinking he got your exact components for 1st-3rd from a Camaro core."

Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #40
deuce5wndw

I know this doesn't pertain to the T5 but I was just wondering why more people don't use the Ford truck top shift overdrive? I just did a F150 overdrive for my 32 by using the stamped steel 49-50 bellhousing, the two bottom holes lined up but the two top ones needed ears welded to the bellhousing because the two inner holes in the top can't be used. I grafted a swan shifter to the truck stub. Used a standard 10 clutch and pressure plate, stock pilot bushing, and stock TO bearing. The front bearing retainer I had to turn down .175 to fit the bellhsg. Overall a easy transplant. It is going behind a 276 CID flathead. I'm using a aftermarket boxed frame with open drive so the K member wasn't an issue. I bought a new 88 truck with that transmission and was impressed with the reliability and the 4th gear OD worked.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #41
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
I know this doesn't pertain to the T5 but I was just wondering why more people don't use the Ford truck top shift overdrive?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a 3-spd w/OD? If so, the T5 is superior simply due to more gears keeping your rpms in the "sweet spot" and really wakes up your engine.

If I remember correctly, it's also large and heavy...

T5 Tech
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #42
deuce5wndw

Yes it is a 3 speed with 4th as overdrive but it is not large or heavy and the shifter is in about the same location as a early 3 speed.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #43
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
Yes it is a 3 speed with 4th as overdrive but it is not large or heavy and the shifter is in about the same location as a early 3 speed.
OK, is this the toploader 3+4OD with a Jeep topshifter conversion? Because I was thinking of a larger one with a factory topshift that is large (perhaps not heavy as it may be aluminum case)...got pics?

T5 Tech
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #44
bloodyjack

I have had some private emails about my T5 flathead. those pictures are old I got the thing on the road this year. Please dont hate me for building a Hotrod but here is a picture and a link to the vintage vehicle show interview a few weeks ago.

http://vimeo.com/30471057

Old 11-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #45
TomT/Williamsburg

Hey, why would I have you?! Good lookin' car, man!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #46
deuce5wndw

VERY nice car and I enjoyed the interview!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #47
Kahuna

Here's my Flathead with the Ford toploader 4 speed and a Gear Vendors O/D. It's a great setup with wonderful ratios. The shift lever is almost exactly where the original one was
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis engine 004.jpg (118.4 KB, 338 views)
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #48
39portlander

That's a nice pic Kahuna, you got alot of hours on that and it shows
Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #49
Kahuna

Hi 39Port
Yes I do. I will not do it again.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #50
47 flatbed

It look like everyone is bolting these t5s up to a 8ba motor is it possible to do this conversion to a 59ab with the top of bellhousing casted into the block? Maybe no more double clutching?
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #51
37fatfender

It can be done to either a 8ba or a 59ab, this is technically a French Block, but it has the 59ab bellhousing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934 Roadster 009.jpg (53.5 KB, 235 views)
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #52
fireball 22

I can save you alot of trouble,I have wilcox adapter with a t-5 running in a 49 ford the motor recent rebuilt new alt 12v electronic ign. duals new water pumps offy with dual carb.dual exhaust call for all detail,will sell motor,t-5 and radiator all goes. must sell installing 5.0 come and drive and make a offer.many other parts also.
1-803 475 3364 kershaw,sc
fireball 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #53
V4F

Where can I get a clutch disc for a t5 conversion to model a banger ? Any help needed ......
Steve
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #54
rlhinit

I just installed a t5 to my flathead '37 using an adapter from Cornhusker Rod Shop.
The T5 is from a 1993 S10 - # 1352- 216 1 and 1/8 spline shaft with 26 teeth - the stock clutch was 9" and the replacement disc is a stock S10 .
This t5 had a Ford bolt pattern and is world class - shifter mounted forward - close to the original postion.
Open end rear using a KRW kit - the front wish bone was splitted using a kit from Weedetr plus the x frame member adapter.

The most work required was to modify the X frame member adapter.

Now I understand that some one is in the process of making an adapter for the electronic speedo - to a cable - in order to use the stock speedo ??

Looking forward to driving this car without laboring the engine over 55mph.

Rayzor
rlhinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #55
jrvariel48

I have the same trans in my 35 Coupe. I'm using a cable-x box. A little pricey just under $300, but it works perfect!!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #56
TomT/Williamsburg

Look for a guy by the handle Kato Kings on the HAMB - he does the conversion of the electronic to mechanical speedo for the S10 tailshaft ....
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #57
Tim Armstrong

I am building a 49 pickup with a t-4, Speedway adapter. The clutch forks hit the inside of the Speedway adapter, what clutch and pressure plate do you use? It works well until I push the clutch in then it grinds on the bell housing.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #58
Ol' Ron

Boy, that's a sweet looking Hot Rod, Some people have all the lock. Take care.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #59
rlhinit

Tim Armstrong - I'm using the stock pressure plate ( 9 ") and a stock 9" S10 disc.

However, I'm using the Cornhuskers adapter. No interference .

Rayzor
rlhinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #60
bobH

Attn DeuceLover... My recollection is that you put a T-5 in a 36 pass chassis. (59a engine, early 90's WC Ford T-5, tail converted to mechanical speedo) Can you confirm this, and if so, can you share what mods you made to the 36 frame to make it fit? Thanks.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #61
hotrodcbx

I have done 2 conversions using the T-5 in my 34 coupe and '33 roadster, both with flatheads. In both cases I bought new Ford T-5s for around the $1300.00 range and put s10 tail housings on them. The problem with the s-10 T5 is ratios and the fact that Tremco has improved on these trans from what they were. In the coupe, I modified the stock stamped bellhousing to accept the Ford T5 bolt pattern and had the input shaft shortened (precision ground) to the right length. In the roadster I was fortunate to find the MCF adapter plate. I use 4.11 rear end gears which give me ideal gear ratios (1800 rpm @ 60 mph).. This is a great setup..
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #62
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcbx View Post
I have done 2 conversions using the T-5 in my 34 coupe and '33 roadster, both with flatheads. In both cases I bought new Ford T-5s for around the $1300.00 range and put s10 tail housings on them. The problem with the s-10 T5 is ratios and the fact that Tremco has improved on these trans from what they were. In the coupe, I modified the stock stamped bellhousing to accept the Ford T5 bolt pattern and had the input shaft shortened (precision ground) to the right length. In the roadster I was fortunate to find the MCF adapter plate. I use 4.11 rear end gears which give me ideal gear ratios (1800 rpm @ 60 mph).. This is a great setup..
What was the MCF plate thickness? My adapter is 1 inch thick and it leaves the inputs shaft about 3/16 to long (it hits the crank).
Edit: this is Ford T5Z mated to a 59a.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #63
TomT/Williamsburg

In so far as center chassis mods to 32-40 Fords, it all depends on whether you want to be able to remove the trans from underneath or have to remove the engine and trans as a unit. Also, how much do you want to modify your frame. I've done both and I'm building a third - it will be removable from underneath like my 40 coupe is. Way too much work the other way as that's what my avatar is.

Also, when using an S10 T5 with a 59AB, you will have to shorten the input shaft about a 1/4" and the collar where the t-out bearing rides will have to be shortened about 1/8" (3 washer thicknesses) IF you are using the stock 40 t-out bearing setup. I'm not sure when using the S10 t-out setup if you will need to make these mods. BTW, Gary at Cornhusker has a nice t-out bearing collar setup to eliminate having to install the sleeve on the stock S10 collar.

I did not have to do any mods to my 40 w/S10 T5 and a French block but I had to do them on the 59AB in my avatar. Same rear portion of the block - do not know what was different to the point of having to make the mods. Go figure ...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #64
39portlander

Happened to log-in to check the "swapMeet" and noticed this old thread from 11-03-11 had popped up again. Lots of good post's there guy's.

I still have that old 93 T-5 tucked away for a future project. Scott
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #65
tamnalan

It seems that for a guy like me - '39 Pickup - buying and swapping a T5 in will cost roughly the same as springing for a Mitchell overdrive.
The T5 brings all synchromesh, but the Mitchell brings "preservation of stock setup"
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #66
Binx

Not mine but saw this on Craigslist if someone is shopping...
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4571859284.html

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #67
oldsman41

tamnalan, you can save a bundle by getting a volvo od. somewhere on the net there is a spot that i believe a marc member put a volvo in a model a torque tube. the volvo units can be found at swap meets for 150 to 300 bucks. not to hard to adapt to the drive shaft in the tube.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #68
Richard in Florida

I can speak only about adapting a T5 to a '53 (or '52 or '54) Ford passenger car; that's all I've done. I suspect my installation, coached by Ol' Ron, was one of the simplest and least expensive on record.

My T5 is a Frankenstein using Astro Van cases which gave me a Ford bolt pattern and the ideal shifter location. I put in a Ford input shaft and the coveted 2.95 gear set. The tailstock has the mechanical speedometer drive, and AutoZone sells a bolt-in speedo cable for $12.

The installation revolves around a simple one-piece adapter machined from aluminum plate. This has been talked about for years. In my case, I used:

• The original flywheel
• The original pilot bearing
• The original pressure plate
• The original clutch linkage
• The original rear mount, modified

My only other purchases were a clutch disk and the speedo cable. Duck soup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adapter Front.jpg (427.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Adapter Rear.jpg (432.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Installed.jpg (318.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #69
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnalan View Post
It seems that for a guy like me - '39 Pickup - buying and swapping a T5 in will cost roughly the same as springing for a Mitchell overdrive.
The T5 brings all synchromesh, but the Mitchell brings "preservation of stock setup"
Oh no doubt, the T-5 I have would go in some "rod" project that I may or may not get to in this lifetime.

This is a good info sharing thread on the T-5. Scott
Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #70
Harry Fabricator

Richard in Florida isnt the astro van a Gm ? or do you mean the areostar ?
Harry Fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #71
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not Richard! But the answer is the early GM T5s are the GM bolt pattern and later GM T5s are the Ford bolt pattern.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #72
Ol' Ron

Yes, I think the GM T-5 went to the Ford Bolt pattern in 92???
Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #73
Roger/Sacramento

This is how mine is in the '41 Pickup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T5 trans.JPG (276.3 KB, 117 views)

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #74
machine girl

we have the 3 speed+ O.D. kit for the 1935 and up no cutting up the frame, modelaonly.net
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote