Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
BillW810

Default 1939 banjo rear "outer" axle seal

I bought the car as a project I don't have any experience banjo rears,. By looking at the axle/housing end it looked like there should be a seal there.

So I searched about an outer seal, where the axle comes out of the housing, for a banjo rear. Apparently there isn't one originally but some have used an SKF 11050. So I bought some.They go in with almost no pressure, with the seal even with the housing end. Do they go in further until they seat? Or maybe the housing is a little worn. I guess more likely they just don't fit.

They look too small to try and adjust the metal out any. The rubber seems like an OK fit.

I guess I was lucky. I didn't want to leave the seal in when it didn't seem to seat. I was trying to figure out how to get the seal out. When I turned the axle to orient the keyway vertically the seal came out.

Maybe not needed at all.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by BillW810; 06-26-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Add info
BillW810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1939 banjo rear "outer" axle seal

You save to take the rear axle apart to change the axle seals, see #4245 in
the drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Rear_Axle_Assy_1938to48.jpg (67.7 KB, 46 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

Usually you need something of a long hook to take the seal out from the center or wide part of the housing and a washer again on a long rod to insert the new seal. Again, from the wide end. I am curious as to the seal you are referring to that can be used from the outside -I am going to check it out .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Phil Gillespie

I currently have a diff apart for an axle replacement. The outer seal sits in the brake drum for grease containment. The inner seal I was missing on both sides. Have ordered from 3rd Generation, along with a seal fitting tool which screws to a piece of pipe.
Does this inner seal sit up against the bearing located at the bell end? This inner seal is the same as fitted at pinion.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
BillW810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
You save to take the rear axle apart to change the axle seals, see #4245 in
the drawing.
I do know about that seal. The seal I referenced was a "fix" that was suggested on both the HAMB and here. It is aftermarket not a Ford part.

Honestlly The car in quesion is not running and I don't know if there is a problem. But I figured if just putting that seal in and prevented a problem why not.

Bill
Old 06-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
BillW810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
I currently have a diff apart for an axle replacement. The outer seal sits in the brake drum for grease containment. The inner seal I was missing on both sides. Have ordered from 3rd Generation, along with a seal fitting tool which screws to a piece of pipe.
Does this inner seal sit up against the bearing located at the bell end? This inner seal is the same as fitted at pinion.
Phil NZ
This seal goes at the very end of the axle tube where the axle sticks through, not the one in the hub/brake drum. It is an aftermarket "fix" not a Ford designed seal. Probably used so you don't have to pull the rear apart if the Ford inner seal failed.

I found it through a search. The threads were on here and the HAMB. Maybe not needed.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW810 View Post
This seal goes at the very end of the axle tube where the axle sticks through,not in the hub. It is an aftermarket "fix" not a Ford designed seal. Probably used so you dodn't have to pull the rear apart if the inner seal failed.

I found it through a search. The threads were on here and the HAMB. Maybe not needed.
Ok understood. Guess it was as you say an aftermarket fix. To save having to pull and strip out diff if the inner seal fails.
I have been running without the inner seal, unknown till I pulled the axles.
Never had a problem with oil getting to outer area as jus fill oil till it comes out centre hole in diff.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
grumppyoldman

Like said before it has to be installed from the center of the banjo housing. The trumbone shaped axle housing has to be pulled to access the seal insertion. Put the seal installing tool on a piece of threaded 1/2" pipe about 3ft long and drive it into the axle towards outer end. Al

Last edited by grumppyoldman; 06-26-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Wrong dimention on pipe
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Phil NZ
You've piqued my interest with this tool. I'll have to look into it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote