Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Onlybackroads

Default Just moved to Tennessee!

Hey everybody, just wanted to let all the Tennessee people know that they've got another Model A addict in their state! Me, my girlfriend and my folks hitched all our junk up and drove out here from California. Now we'll have all that extra money that went down the California drain left over to spend on some old car parts, woo! Anyway, not sure where we're gonna live yet, but somewhere in middle TN. We're staying with family up in Gallatin at the moment, but I can't wait till we get a place so I can start meeting people and collecting junk again... As of now, only one of our Model A's are out here, pulled it with us on the trailer. The other one is safe at a friends house, waiting to make its way out here later on. Hope they will take kindly to the different climate!
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Vic in E-TN

Wink Re: Just moved to Tennessee!

Hey Backroads:
Welcome to TN. We live in Maryville, 1/2 hour from Knoxville and just up the road from the Smoky Mountains. Housing prices here are reasonable and the backroads are good. The weather is 4 reasonable seasons except for summer which is more hot than I would like because I spent most of my life in the Chicago area. The winter is very reasonable.

Send me a PM. I might not be able to answer you for a few days because some of our club is traveling to Central Alabama for a meet with the local club and a tour and ride around Skip Barber's track on Saturday.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
california dean

Default Re: Just moved to Tennessee!

Hey you two! Didn't know a move was in your thoughts. We'll miss you guys out west. I'm sure you and your A's will take kindly to the climate change. Some great people there and some great Model A driving. The collecting junk again part shouldn't be a problem....seems like that's almost a given if you are into old cars. I forget whose law it is but really true.....if there is space it will be filled, just a question as to who gets to fill it. Enjoy your new digs.

Dean
california dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Welcome to TN a good place to live. I am in the Chattanooga area (Home of Coker Tire)

Lots of car related activities as well as other activities here also housing is reasonable

around here.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #5
EHERRICK

Good morning from Gallatin Marvin
We are also headed to Oxford Alabama this morning.
If you choose middle Tennessee we also have a club here in the Nashville area.
We have activities planned for each month. Also some of us from the club do other tours on pretty weekends
Sorry we did not know you were in town. We have 5 A's driving to Alabama this morning
Welcome
Ed
EHERRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
jimalabam

Welcome to Tennessee. You will love the back roads. Alabama "ain't" bad either. Also You Ten ur see folks headed for Oxford today. WELCOME...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
jthomas6

Welcome to Tennessee, just in time for spring weather (time to bring the Roadster out).
Hope you find a nice place and get settled in soon. I'm just east of Knoxville - nice quiet laid back living. Lots of 'back road' travels. I've only been here about a year and half, and really enjoy it. Welcome!
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
SkipShift

Leipers Fork, my kind of place. I don't live there but I'm close. Click on the sound icon in the upper left corner for "Leipers Fork Standard Time."

http://www.visitleipersfork.com/
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
700rpm

Great music scene in TN, Sean, plus you're close to Brent Terry, one of the most knowledgeable Model A guys in the country. Stay in touch with your NW friends.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Bill in Al

You folks headed for Barbers will pick some more of us up at "Jacks" in Pell City.'30 Tudor Thorn brown with a homemade wooden trunk.Welcome to Alabama and enjoy yourselves.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
peters180a/170b

A.A.C.A. ,June 12-14 Annual Grand National Meet [Friday] and National Meet[Saturday] Southern Fall DUAL Meets Middle TENNESSEE Region . Lebanon Tennessee , 1-615-449-4901 ...a few more Model "A"s will be there...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Onlybackroads

Thanks for the warm welcoming everyone, glad to be here! Living out here will give me a good excuse to drop an overdrive into my car, with all the nice hills/mountains out here.

Dean and Ray, Pips folks are looking to buy a place around Gilroy/Hollister area soon, and said we could build a shack on their property! So we'll have a home-base on each side, and probably an A on each side too! And I'll tell you now, I like to make friends not strangers.

We were also playing with the idea of living somewhere in East Tennessee, I have spent a lot of time over on the border of TN and NC in near Mountain City/Erwin/Boone and I really love it over there. Also, I hear Rogersville has some car-related events so I wanted to check that area out. It would be cool to live near a concentrated amount of car-guys and car events, but I bet there's quite a few places like that. We're trying to find somewhere with at least 5 acres with woods, a good solid house (for my parents, my gf and I are gonna build a little house,) and are trying to spend between $70k and $120k. Let me know if any of you hear of any little gems out there!

Marvin, I like Chattanooga a lot, I've spent a little time there and have a lot of friends who live there. The Coker collection is awesome, I was blown away by the display of pre-war motorbikes! What i'd give for even one of those things...
Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Onlybackroads

P.S. Especially if there's some property to buy that includes a barn full of old cars

Nothing wrong with a little head start!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
James Rogers

I got a place here in WNC for sale that has a 40X40 garage with anchors for a lift.3/4 acre in a restricted subdivision.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlybackroads View Post
We were also playing with the idea of living somewhere in East Tennessee, I have spent a lot of time over on the border of TN and NC in near Mountain City/Erwin/Boone and I really love it over there.

Heck, the largest Model-A restoration shop in the world is halfway between Mtn. City and Erwin. Not a bad area IMO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Heck, the largest Model-A restoration shop in the world is halfway between Mtn. City and Erwin. Not a bad area IMO.
really whats the name of that shop?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
kyvetteman

Welcome to Middle TN. I'm just down the road from you in Mt. Juliet. I moved here 10 years ago and love it! Plenty to see and do and a very active old car scene.
kyvetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #18
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I think Coker is having a cruise in pretty soon, Usually lots of cars for it. Of course the museum is open for the cruise in and and I think maybe Honest Charile's Speed Shop is to.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

http://clubs.hemmings.com/mid-tenn/membership.html

Welcome to TN Onlybackroads! Here's a link to the TN club!
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
BlueSunoco

A lot of folks are leaving California these days and heading to this area of the country. mostly people who have lived out there for years.

Calif. has lost it's appeal to a lot of people, there are way too many there plus the crippling taxes, Good move! More possibilities in Tennessee to enjoy antique cars for sure.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote