Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
A-Man

Default Installation of Alternator on a Model A

I am slowly converting my 1930 CCPU to a 12 Volt system. I have all the wires run. Today, I removed the generator, and installed the alternator. I purchased the Alternator support arm from O’Reillys, part # 9581(See 1st Thumbnail). Looking at the 2nd Thumbnail, a picture of an someone's alternator installed, I am trying to determine where the other end of the support arm is connected to the engine? Considering that the support arm is attached to the front of the top “ear” on the alternator, it appears the other end is secured to maybe the right front motor mount bolt?

Where have others attached the support arm to the engine?

What is the correct belt to be used: NAPA 2522434/GATES TR22434 Belt (11/16” X 44”) or a NAPA 2520426/GATES TR20426 Belt (11/16" X 42.99")?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator Support Arm, #9851.jpg (11.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Alternator (640x480).jpg (262.0 KB, 188 views)
A-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
SLPreston53

Default Re: Installation of Alternator on a Model A

A convenient timing gear cover bolt. Of course the slotted end goes on the Alternator. AND you will have to provide (by bending the arm or creating a spacer @ the timing gear - I have done both) for the offset from the timing gear and the alternator "ear."
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Most of us don't use that type arm.
There is a shorter arm that pushes on the alt from the pass side that mounts easily to a timing cover bolt. It can also be used to keep a generator in place.

Bratton's PN 15500
At the bottom of the page on this link:
http://www.brattons.com/prodtype.asp...earchCriteria=
Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The bratton part is the one most uses. Most also use a smaller pulley to get faster speed so the alt will kick in better at idle.
How does one "slowly convert" to 12 volts?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The bratton part is the one most uses.
Of the vehicles that are running alternators in our club, NONE of them cam from Brattons. And they all are using a bracket similar to the one shown in post #1.

Quote:
How does one "slowly convert" to 12 volts?
One bulb a week???
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Patrick L.

One bulb a week???
end quote

LOL ! And only if you drive once a week !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Of the vehicles that are running alternators in our club, NONE of them cam from Brattons. And they all are using a bracket similar to the one shown in post #1.

Never said anything about alternators from Brattons.

Here in florida I have only bracket I've seen is like the one noted from Brattons (and others).

Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
jrelliott

You need the "H" style bracket shown in the picture from mralternator posts to connect from the engine to the alternator at the bottom. The mess you are seeing in the second picture is circuit breakers added to the back of the alternator for protection. Not the ususal installation. If you purchased the alternator from a parts house is it a one wire? If it is not you will need to purchase a Quick Stat SE-590 kit to convert to one wire. You also need the smaller pulley sold by the various parts houses. Suggest you add a fuse, or a complete disconnect for the battery as the alternator draws a small amount of current when the vehicle is turned off. When you start the vehicle after putting on the one wire alternator will have to speed up the engine a bit to get the alternator to start working or adding a DA plug and some additional wiring to get the alternator to start working immediately. If you want some more information about this change send me an email at [email protected] and will send you the procedure. I just changed from 12V back to 6V and installed the correct Power House generator
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
A-Man

Do I understand correctly, that the bracket to keep the alternator tight, like pictured in Mike V's post, is it attached to the engine with one of the timing cover bolts?

Thanks for all the responses.
A-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
tbirdtbird
BANNED

that is correct. Simple and works well

As a more general comment I am of the opinion that some users of this forum need to read more carefully or else re-read posts in their entirety. There would be far less confusion and far less posts that have the only purpose of clarifying something that was already clarified. The regular, reliable posters usually state their case very clearly.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Skibb

Mike V. Florida,

What Alternator maker at 60 amps would you recomend please and/or from whom.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Mike V. Florida,

What Alternator maker at 60 amps would you recomend please and/or from whom.
You are being drastically misled if you believe you can get those charge rates with the A setup.

From what I can figure you can not get 60 amps from the common Model A setup.

Doing some simple Google searches.
First look up how much power you can transmit via a V belt for a given pulley diameter.

Then look up how much HP it takes to generate a certain output from the alt.

I find that you can only expect the common Model A pulley on the alt to allow for some minor fraction of a HP to be transmitted to the shaft. You need 1.4 HP to get 60 amps and it appears we are well south of .5 HP for the pulley on the A alt.

Also keep in mind the alt are rated in peak output and constant output is usually 1/2 what the advertised rating is on the box.

Please, NOBODY believe me go GOOGLE some yourself.

Here is one place to get some numbers:

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...rtechinfo.html

The alternators do not give you what you are being sold!!!
They are nominally better then a generator at best!

A generator with a regulator is really your better option if you wish to go trouble free for decades.
The only way the alt is better is if you properly connect up a belt to allow for full HP transfer. Then you still have to remember full output is only when the alt is cool and that you rapidly get 1/2 the output once it warms up.

Of course, I could be reading the numbers all wrong and getting something else wrong. So I encourage all to read and learn the facts. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Here in florida I have only bracket I've seen is like the one noted from Brattons (and others).

I have seen that on generators quite a lot, just hadn't seen it used with an alternator, although it looks like a viable solution.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
christian

I agree, I would love an alternator, but they are so darned ugly in a model A engine compartment I just cant do it. (my opinion)
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I agree, I would love an alternator, but they are so darned ugly in a model A engine compartment I just cant do it. (my opinion)
Try this guy. He builds an alternator in an original Model A generator case:
www.gener-nator.com/
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
You are being drastically misled if you believe you can get those charge rates with the A setup.

I must have missed where he asked for an alt that will put out 60 amps constantly.

I do though often wonder what the heck people put in their cars that they need high outputs in the first place.

Personally I have no need for an alternator as I have a stock A. That does not mean I know nothing about them. As there are often post asking about them so I have bookmarks for parts if the Delco that you have should fail and other information as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow, this thread is becoming so volatile with each posting!! It is almost like folks jumping against the other side. Daryl has a vested interest to promote/defend his business, and others are questioning the reasoning behind needing one.

Like Christian so "eloquently" ( ) stated below, alternators do seem out of place when we are here to discuss restoration of a restored Model-A. I have installed a few Hitachi alternators concealed inside a Model-A case but in retrospect, it was more about the novelty than anything from my perspective as they did not perform or function any better than a generator with a internal regulator.

Again, the entire debate for years has always come down to "why" do you need an alternator instead of a generator. I think most of these debates have boiled down that no one really 'needs' an alternator, it is just they want one for various reasons, ...some reasons factual, -and some fictional. That in a nutshell is why neither one is "better" than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Rex_A_Lott

A-Man already decided he wanted an alternator. He already bought it.He wants help getting it mounted. WTH did we get off on "you dont need an alternator" again????
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
tbirdtbird
BANNED

well said
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

If a person chooses to run the brighter 60/55 watt headlamp bulbs or other high draw accessories in their model A, they will need a 60 amp alternator, not because they expect or need the alternator to constantly peg 60 amps. If a person uses high draw accessories, an alternator isn't a waste of money. I Like generators because they are original for the model A and I can repair or rebuild them myself. I like the fact that a car equiped with a generator can be push started with a dead battery ,if you can push them fast enough. I don't like the fact that an alternator will draw current when the vehicle isn't running. People with original, mostly unaccessorized model A's will have no need for an alternator . No real need to squabble. If a person wants or needs an alternator for high draw accessories they should get one. If originality is the main concern stay with the original generator. As far as putting out more amps or charging at lower rpm, the alternator is superior, thats why modern cars use them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote