Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
t-head

Default The Front Street Garage, Route 66 in Galena, Kansas During the Model A Era Model A

Can you envision pulling up to this garage back in time in your Model "A"? Providing all sorts of aid to travelers on Route 66, it looks like the owner of the Front Street Garage was ready for just about anything in this photo from the 1930's. Learn more about it and White Rose Gas on The Old Motor were you can also see 100s more photos of other period filling stations.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: The Front Street Garage, Route 66 in Galena, Kansas During the Model A Era Model

Nice photo t-head...I always wonder if some of these buildings are still standing and in use today that we see in all of these old photos.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: The Front Street Garage, Route 66 in Galena, Kansas During the Model A Era Model

As I am sitting in a hotel room waiting on rain to pass so we can go racing, I have studied this picture some and am curious about the true date. Although David is a good friend of mine and I would never question his wisdom, however I am curious if others think this is from the 30's, ...or is it possible it was taken in/around 1941?

Allow me to offer some of my thoughts...

In the upper left of the photo, there is what appears to be a Rubin & Cherry Shows (Circus) signbill that lists a show date of Sat April 26 in Joplin, MO (about 10 miles east of Galena). If we look at a calendar, it shows the two years of 1930 and 1941 as ones that have an April 26th that falls on a Saturday. One would assume the bill would be fairly current within a few months either way of that date.

The Model-A wheels on the lower left of the picture have three things that might give some clue. 1st, if it is indeed 1930, having new/used 19" wheels & tires just a few short months after introduction seems unlikely however I do agree it is possible. 2nd, the tire tread does not look like the Goodyear & Firestone treads that were O.E. on the new Ford, ...which might suggest the tires have been replaced? 3rd, the wheels appear to be cut-down to 16" size and do not have the space between the wheel hub and rim. Does this look like this to anyone else? Also notice the wide whitewall used Chevrolet or Plymouth wheels that appear to be more of the 16"-18" size instead of 19", -which would possibly date them more towards mid-1930's.

In the right side of the picture there is a Delco Battery sign, which I think is more inline with the advertising consistent with late 1930s.

Also while on the thought of advertising, on the glass above the US TIRES sign is a Perfect Circle Piston Ring sign with the slogan "Wake Up a tired engine..." which was consistent with their 1940 advertising. And, looking to the right of that, is that a neon clock hanging in the window? When did neon clocks become popular?

And finally, between the visible gas pumps appears to be a rack holding 1 quart oil cans. Aren't these quart metal cans more consistent with dating in the mid-1930s?

My own personal connection with Galena is that my late grandfather was born & raised in Galena from 1910 through the late 30s before moving to Oklahoma to work on ranches. He always recounted this town of Galena as very impoverished during his childhood. Probably a good environment for used tires sales!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Skrain

Now if I could pull up there nowadays and fill up for $.13 a Gallon...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

I don't believe that Prestone Antifreeze was available in 1930.
Also, I think that the Coca-Cola sign is from the late 30's.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Dave in MN

T-head...thanks for posting this picture! We were in Galena this summer while on our Model A road trip. The building you posted is still standing but long abandoned. Click on the picture of the same building below to enlarge it.

We saw lots of buildings just like this as we made our way across the country. To all...if you want to see any of it...better hurry...every year more buildings are gone! We put on over 9200 miles in our '29 Phaeton...what a trip...smiling every day!

We have more pictures of some of the buildings along the way laced into the days we were on Route 66 on our travel blog...

http://travelpod.com/members/29-ford-model-a

Scroll down and click on the picture of us in front of the mountain scene to get a full list of our days on the road. Note: We wrote the blog so our friends and family could keep track of us...excuse some of the humor...you might have to know us to understand it. We took close to 5,000 pictures while on the road...about 600 are included in the blog.

Good Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07route6604.jpg (40.1 KB, 510 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 09-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
1930artdeco

Did anyone notice the mid 30's ford V-8 wheels on the right?-with wide whiet walls?

Mike
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
T-head...thanks for posting this picture! We were in Galena this summer while on our Model A road trip. The building you posted is still standing but long abandoned. Click on the picture of the same building below to enlarge it.

We saw lots of buildings just like this as we made our way across the country. To all...if you want to see any of it...better hurry...every year more buildings are gone! We put on over 9200 miles in our '29 Phaeton...what a trip...smiling every day!

We have more pictures of some of the buildings along the way laced into the days we were on Route 66 on our travel blog...

http://travelpod.com/members/29-ford-model-a

Scroll down and click on the picture of us in front of the mountain scene to get a full list of our days on the road. Note: We wrote the blog so our friends and family could keep track of us...excuse some of the humor...you might have to know us to understand it. We took close to 5,000 pictures while on the road...about 600 are included in the blog.

Good Day!
Dave, I followed your trip on your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. And I just took a Google trip through Galena, and couldn't find that building on Rte. 66, but a little more cyber-wandering and I found it on the corner of Front and S. Main. Galena looks like a dyin' little town.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 09-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
t-head

Good to here that many of you enjoyed this interesting photo, would'nt it be fun to drive up to this station for a tank of gas and a quart of oil?. We are guessing that it was taken in the "1930's" but judging by the tires and products seen in the photo it appears to have obviously have been taken later in the decade. The building still existed when the town was mapped by Google and there is a link to the photo of it on Google Street View in the post on The Old Motor.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post
Good to here that many of you enjoyed this interesting photo, would'nt it be fun to drive up to this station for a tank of gas and a quart of oil?. We are guessing that it was taken in the "1930's" but judging by the tires and products seen in the photo it appears to have obviously have been taken later in the decade. The building still existed when the town was mapped by Google and there is a link to the photo of it on Google Street View in the post on The Old Motor.
Thank you David for posting this. Also for updating your webpage with the Gerold family's adventures and helping promote the beloved Model-A to your viewers. We truly appreciate all your efforts!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
gweilbaker

Could "rubber welded" mean recapped tires?
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
I was wondering the same thing?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post

Nope, when Butyl rubber was introduced, it had the ability of being "welded". Patches on Butyl rubber tubes were an improvement over just gluing on a patch to natural rubber tubes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #14
EAK69

Bringing up this thread because I am in negotiations to buy this building - I know the owner very well and he and I will be closing the deal in the next month or two... and the plans for the place will be mind blowing (don't ask what I am doing with it.... yet!)

Route 66 World
www.route66world.com - updated often!
Route 66: '...once you drive part of it - you'll want to drive ALL of it!'

Member: Phoenix Model A Club (sans the Model A!!)
EAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

www.route66world.com WON'T OPEN! Bill W.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
t-head

That, is very interesting keep us posted.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Skibb

Fascinating thread. Reads like automotive detective novel - kudos to all.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Fascinating thread. Reads like automotive detective novel - kudos to all.
And Brent is quite an impressive detective...

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
EAK69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
www.route66world.com WON'T OPEN! Bill W.
Sorry Bill -seems my WordPress was updated and I have to configure a few things......

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
And Brent is quite an impressive detective...
Yes he is!! Helped me to figure out a few things....

Route 66 World
www.route66world.com - updated often!
Route 66: '...once you drive part of it - you'll want to drive ALL of it!'

Member: Phoenix Model A Club (sans the Model A!!)
EAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
mass A man

A fabulous picture t-head! I also saw the advertising Neon clock in window-- I collect this sort of thing for way over 30 years. I know of no pre-war clock that had an advertising top arch made of this material. They had neon clocks back then, most round with exposed Neon, some with top marquee's that were solid, un-lit, but none had a top marquee with advertising that was illuminated through injection molded plastics, which that one is. The thin, injection molded plastics were a WWII baby when it came to Neon clocks and "jukeboxes'. Don't be confused with some auto maker's plastics of pre-war days. They weren't "translucent" for one thing. Other pre-war machines used an early, very thick translucent material called "catalin". The "Electric Neon Clock Co." of Cleveland, O., were one of the most popular makers that only "took off' in sales after WWII, and sales were good well into the early '50's.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote