Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Bruce of MN

Default Be Prepared

"personal car ownership will come to an end "

Lucky for us, no date given

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-18-18-45-06
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
bobbycoke

Default Re: Be Prepared

Well it seems to me that at least this will not come in my lifetime [ being old is good for something]........Ever hear of unintended acceleration before computer controled cruise control ?????? Since these cars rely on electronic sensors delivering information to a computer module to interpret some action to be taken...... have you ever experienced a computer FREEZE, a "PINWHEEL OF DEATH" , automatic shutdown if you can say YES to any of these think of millions of these operating at the same time.........Although AI [artifical intellenge] is fast where does reason come in and logigical thinking when a situation arrises ????? are you willing to put your children or grandchildren at risk ???? Lot's to think about but I like the KISS principle,,,,,,,,,,keep it simple stupid! Bobbycoke
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
wrndln

I agree with bobbycoke, that there are almost an infinite number of possibilities that MUST be considered when designing autonomously driven cars. It seems nearly impossible for engineers to consider ALL possibilities that can occur - bad weather, careless drivers, mechanical failures, etc. I think it will be a long time, if ever, that all or most vehicles are self driving, as there are just so many considerations to consider.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
holdover

once the vehicles start crashing into each other because of a computer glitch or a defective 3rd world chip, and the law suits start, it will put an end to these foolish thoughts..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Seth Swoboda

It will never happen in rural areas where I live. Folks here use their cars and pickups in ways people in urban America do not. I can't imagine Lyft company having a 3/4 ton pickup that will do all the work I need it to do in a rural setting. Lyft is going to bring a trailer and haul hay for our cattle? Pull equipment, trailers, machinery? Haul my cars to national club meets? Doubt it. Not to mention all the businesses I know that use pickup trucks to conduct their daily business.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

it is unrealistic and not worthy of the read ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
jrelliott

I would be afraid of these new self driving vehicles for many years after they are out. Have a 2014 vehicle and have had at least 10 programming updates to the vehicle. Everything from AC control to transmission control. At least it has not had the Blue Screen of Death like the computer as yet, but just waiting.
Have you noticed that almost none of the new vehicles have a standard transmission. Standards are a lot more fun to drive and have more control, but people are lazy and do not want to have to do any work. Like driving the A as it takes work.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

"..... the company's co-founder and President predicted......'

The first line of the article is this guy selling his product. That's all I get out of it.

Geez, and that's news???? Beats paying for advertising.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
ronn

about 2 months ago fella died in his "self driving" Tesla

Mobeleye couldnt define between the side of an 18 wheeler and the sky

guy was playing video game in his car and died........

going to be awhile.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

Googles had self driving cars running around for well over a million miles for several years now. Its been in 7 accidents last time I checked - none was its fault... been rear-ended a few times from drivers not paying attention, it has hit a few people due to them pulling out in front of it and it cant physically stop...once again other drivers faults.

Yea the two tesla things are unfortunate. Guess they need to aim a sensor up higher (low car VS middle of semi trailer with 4 feet or more of clearance in the middle)

Self driving cars in rural areas can be a good thing - think of all the elderly that cant drive anymore and forced to move into town or retirement home - these are the people who do not have any type of public transportation at their disposal.

Yea im mad no US vehicles are manual trans anymore besides higher end sports cars or econoboxes (if you can find one in stick) the auto makers claim its because noone wants one. I for one say they should still offer it for the rest of us who enjoy driving. Such a shame not a single full size truck comes in manual trans anymore...
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

I just read a Murder Mystery similar to this.

The reader's Digest version; A competitor hacked into the #1 car makers onboard computers to make them accelerate and lock the steering so the cars would have accident and no one would want to buy their "unsafe" car.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Kinda hard to drive a str shift car with only one leg.. I do have a prosthesis but I don't
want to drive a str shift.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
mhsprecher

I am with Sea Slugs. I think many good things will come out of it, as he has said. It will be a godsend for aged folks and those with disabilities or maybe you are just tired, but want to keep going?

Also agree on manual transmissions. All my vehicles, including my 2006 F-150 has a manual. It is about cost. They want to keep things simple. Crazy to me that you can't get one on a pickup any more. FWIW, I just got 20.5 mpg with my truck with the old V6 and a manual, mostly driving at 65 mph and occasionally faster.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I am with Sea Slugs. I think many good things will come out of it, as he has said. It will be a godsend for aged folks and those with disabilities or maybe you are just tired, but want to keep going?
dont forget drunk people... I bet DUI's will be cut in half if not more if these things were around. Altho you still have to be coherent enough to I guess tell it where to go
Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
Slowplane

Driverless cars may be successful in remote areas (think "Mars Rover"), but there are thousands of "driverless" cars operating, every day, along the I-5 corridor between San Diego and LA with MUCH LESS success.
If anyone can operate a driverless car here with regularity, SAFELY, I'll eat my hat....
Old 09-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
apbright

Phooey. Cars are like a second set of clothes. People will want to express themselves with something unique to them, that they own.

Of course, there will be New Yorkers, for whom self-driving cars will likely be a safer, faster version of NYC Taxi.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #17
Cornishman

All the cars that I own and those on my wish list to buy are all available with manual transmission. Driverless cars will never been an option for people who live outside large urban areas.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

I ordered my '07 Mustang GT with a stick. No other way to drive a car like that or so I thought.

When it came time to sell and buy a new one, I couldn't get 'er done. Nobody that looked at my car, knew how to drive a stick shift. If it had been an automatic it would have been gone within three days.

I had to trade it in for the next new Ford. The dealer gave me a good deal as Mustang GT's are at least in demand. And, thru his connections, my Mustang never hit the lot it was sold out the back door he had a guy already lined up wanting it.

Stick shifts today are just a harder sell.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #19
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
All the cars that I own and those on my wish list to buy are all available with manual transmission. Driverless cars will never been an option for people who live outside large urban areas.
Thats because europeans actually take driving seriously haha. that and your cars get 2-3x as much MPG as our economy cars...
Old 09-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Stick shifts today are just a harder sell.
I have only ever bought one car new. Every other car was about 2 years old and I figure therefore, much better value on a miles for money basis. I drive the car till it's worn out, then go and but another. I favour manual gear shifts because they are harder to sell. I can get a better deal. It works both ways.