Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
drpepper1885

Default Transmission Question

I recently acquired my first Model A and have a question about lubrication of the transmission. How exactly do you check the 600W oil and know when to add fluid? I have noticed that the shifting is a little noisy and think that I need to check the fluid levels. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding a good source for information on how to lubricate a Model A outside of changing the engine oil. Your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: Transmission Question

The model A transmission is not synchromeshed, meaning the gears are more likely to grind between shifting. Downshifting from 3 to 2 is nearly impossible while moving ( I'm sue someone here can do it with mega practice). So when you shift gears, count to 4 before putting it in the next gear and it will go slot smoother.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

to check trans oil: crawl under the car. On the passenger side of the tranny, there is a large square headed plug about 2/3rds up the side. Remove the plug. If you can feel oil from a distance of one finger joint down to the top of the hole, its full. If not, add 600W oil until it reaches that point or overflows. 600w ( W not WT) is available from A vendors, or you can use 250 wt or search "600w" for discussions on other substitutes.. The thicker oil helps slow down the gears for shifting. To drain the trans ( a good idea if you do not know when it was last done) unscrew the big square headed plug on the bottom of the trans.

BTW, it is not impossible to downshift an A smoothly when moving. I do it all the time, as do most A drivers. Search "double clutching" to find discussions on that.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
CarlG

It's a good idea to check the fluid level in the differential in the rear end also. It takes the same gear oil as the transmission
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper1885 View Post
I recently acquired my first Model A and have a question about lubrication of the transmission. How exactly do you check the 600W oil and know when to add fluid? I have noticed that the shifting is a little noisy and think that I need to check the fluid levels. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding a good source for information on how to lubricate a Model A outside of changing the engine oil. Your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.
Don't assume ANYTHING! I bought my "driveable" '29 coupe and found the trans and diff had only 1/4 cup of oil in both units!! and there were no signs of leakage. Someone just forgot to refill them.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-19-2011 at 01:24 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
drpepper1885

Many thanks for these posts. They are very helpful. I think that I will drain the transmission and refill with new 600W to be certain that the system has good lubricant. Unfortunately, the former owner passed away and I am not certain as to when the transmission fluid was last changed. Mike
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
V4F

down shifting from 3 - 2 is not hard . it takes understanding on what the trans & motor need to do this . just like driving an older big rig . when slowing down , push the clutch in (double clutch same as up shifting) , rev the motor up , then put it in 2nd . you have to mesh miles per hour with motor rpm ...... piece of cake .................. 600w is correct for both ... steve
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper1885 View Post
Unfortunately, the former owner passed away and I am not certain as to when the transmission fluid was last changed. Mike
In that case, I would change all fluid lubricants and grease all fittings. Note, the steering box takes 600W, not grease. Sometimes there is a grease fitting on the steering box. Also, the U joint will take a lot of grease, almost an entire tube if its empty. Remove one of the speedometer gear housing bolts and fill the U joint housing until grease comes out the bolt hole, then replace the bolt.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
CA Victoria

You started you post with "I just bought my first Model A"

A couple of suggestions:
Join a local Model A Ford Club, and
purchase this book.

Both will help you to flatten out the learning curve.

MA handbook.jpg
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
CA Victoria

I wanted to applogize if my post sounded cocky. I too am new to the hobby, my two suggestions were the two most helpful things that have helped me................allot!
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
48Ratfink

Didn't sound cocky to Me as I too am a new owner(I'm 60!) I fully agree as both have been most helpful! This sight is also a wealth of knowledge!
One comment Drivem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
I wanted to applogize if my post sounded cocky. I too am new to the hobby, my two suggestions were the two most helpful things that have helped me................allot!
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
buick300

I used 600w oil at first but on the advice of an older Model A man decided to try some STP as well (50% approx) I found it improved my gearshift and is a little better on warmer days. Not for the purist perhaps but my A is a driver and I am pleased with the results.
buick300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
jcheshire31

I've heard that if you put a whole tube of graphite in the transmission it will help with the grinding.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
RonC

Buy a copy of the Ford Service Bulletins for maintenance, adjustments and repairs to your car.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote