Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
ursus

Default Hutchin's Horn Adjust

I need to adjust the sound on an older 6-volt Hutchin's Horn. I was told to do this by turning the screw on the vibrator and that this is accessed via the flared horn in front. Mine has a mesh screen that blocks access to the screw. Do I have to dismantle the front from the horn body or is there a way to remove the scree for access?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
arnhemmer

Default Re: Hutchin's Horn Adjust

I had a Hutchin's on mine and the adustment is inside the rear cover unlike the Spartans which have the adjustment screw accessible through the back cover. So you'll have to remover the cover.
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
leo

arnhemmer, please explain your adjustment on a Hutchin's horn. I have one and there is nothing inside the motor cover except the motor and wire/s. I don't see any adjustment there of any type.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Joe K

IIRC, the Hutchins adjust is inside the bell of the horn centered on the diaphragm. There is a small slotted screw and a nut. You unscrew the nut a half a turn and this allows you to turn the slot screw with a screwdriver. You have to sort of "play around" with the setting as re-tightening the nut will change the adjustment - its a kind of "hit or miss" thing.

There is another setting inside which adjusts the position of the rotor - but IIRC, this is only a sort of "feeler" which holds the rotor position.

You should be able to access the front screw by removing the horn bell by undoing the six perimeter bolts - BUT - how to get consistent positioning of the diaphragm while the front bell is removed? I guess you could try using the bolts alone to hold the diaphragm?

Joe K
Old 07-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Brian T

Hutchins I believe do not normally have a screen, I have one I installed myself which can just be pried out and pushed back in after the adjustment, if you do take the back cover off you may not be able to get the screw back in, there was no guide tube to align it back up with the threaded hole, hopefully it has it.
Regards Brian.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
arnhemmer

Leo I stand corrected. I thought that the horn that was on the car was a Hutchins. Now I don't know what it is. I had to take the back cover off to adjust the darn thing and it still sounded terrible. I now have a Sparton on the car which sounds great. Thanks for setting me straight on this. Going to find out what it really is.
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Hutchins was the original patent holder for the motor driven Klaxon type horns. A person has to inspect the sounding diaphragm from time to time to make sure it hasn't cracked. They will fatigue over time and will eventually crack. The diaphragm also has the adjustable sounding knub or wedge where the wavy rotor on the motor makes contact. Too little contact will eventually make no sound at all. Too much contact will make a harsh sound and is hard on the diaphragm. If the adjuster knub is tapered to a point like a chisel then it has to be aligned to where the chisel point is somewhat parallel with the waves in the rotor or basically pointing toward the center of the rotor disk. This way the rotor can move more easily over the sounding adjuster knub. Some are rounded on the tip so they can be adjusted to any position of rotation. Usually only slight adjustments are necessary for wear over time. The condition of the motor armature and brushes also play a part in how well they sound. Also, if the armature bearings get loose, it will be harder to maintain a uniform sound from these type units.

Everything wears out eventually.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
leo

Rotorwrench, how did Hutchin's attain the patent for Klaxon type horns? The Klaxon was manufactured 100 years ago while the Hutchin's product did not show up until the 1950's.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
rotorwrench

I mixed it up due to old age I guess. It was Reese Hutchinson (not Hutchins) that patented the type of horn back in 1908. He eventually became chief engineer for Thomas Edison. Sorry for the mix up there. I just associated the newer horns with JC Whitney and the like. I never referred to them as a Hutchins horn.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Adjusting the Hutchins horn is difficult but can be adjusted to sound good to me . The Hutchins horn is louder and better as a warning device. I prefer the Hutchins horn and believe the motor is better than originals . Beside other advantages , the Hutchins horn can be dressed up to look pretty much like the originals .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote