Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
The "A" Team

Default Need A LOT of help with Model A inheritance

Hi everyone, thank you for having this forum, and hopefully somebody can help me. I apologize in advance for the long story.

I live in Northeast NJ and many years ago father belonged to the Asphalt Angels Car Club here where he showcased his '49 - '50 Packards and 1930 Ford Model A Coupe. He unfortunately passed away this past November and while he sold his Packards a few years ago, he kept the Model A (he probably bought it in the late 70s, early 80s when I was a kid). He graciously left me the Model A in his will, and I definitely don't want to get rid of it and would like to start trying to restore it in the spring.

This is where it gets a little tricky. The car needs some MAJOR body work as around 10 - 15 years ago my father took it apart to paint it, but only got as far as painting the fenders, and right now the car is still in pieces (basically the body sitting on the chassis), and the body only has a coat of primer on it. It was also stored in a garage that had a leak in the roof and any exposed metal has a good amount of rust along with the seats, steering wheel and door panels having a slight film on them (mold?). He also took the car’s roof off and there is definitely some weakness and wood rot in the roof slats, and both the headliner and interior cloth material are trashed. He also had the engine rebuilt, but it’s been sitting on an engine stand for years without any oil in it, and is showing signs of interior rust. I moved it to my garage a couple of weeks ago to try to prevent more rusting.

That being said, I just don't know where to begin. I'm pretty handy with tools, as I was taught by my father, but I'm not so good with body work, especially with this car. I'm not sure if I should get a running chassis going before attempting body work, or do the body work before attempting to reinstall the engine, transmission, etc. I also need a reference of what the chassis looks like with the engine, transmission, etc. removed, because for example, it looks like there's a "sheet metal" plate below where the engine goes that's in two pieces, and I'm wondering if it should actually be one piece. I bought a bunch of Model A restoration books that were published from the 30s up to the 2000s, and while they have a lot of information in them, I just don't see enough about body work.

I did look around for shops that do body work and/or restoration on antique cars, but with my available funds being very minimal, it just doesn't seem feasible.

I attached some pics I took of it in my garage, and I may have some better pictures my mother took as we were moving it. I'll try to get them asap. I had to put the pics into a PDF document because the files were too big to insert as actual pics.

If anybody can help me with this restoration, please let me know.

Thank you everyone.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model A Pics.pdf (958.6 KB, 471 views)
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
shew01

Default Need A LOT of help with Model A inheritance

Welcome to the Ford Barn. You will meet a lot of helpful folks here.

Where are you located? You might want to add your location to your Ford Barn profile. There may be a Model A enthusiast living near you.

It would probably be helpful for you to check to see if any MARC (Model A Restorers Club) Model A clubs are in your area. https://model-a-ford.org/top-page-1/regions/

Also, you might want to check MAFCA (Model A Ford Club of America) to see if any of their clubs are in your area. https://www.mafca.com/

I’m a member of a MARC club, and those folks have been a huge help to me. Although, my car was in good shape when I bought it, I met a number of members in our club who have engine and body expertise. It is likely that a club near you will have the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
shew01

Default Re: Need A LOT of help with Model A inheritance

Sorry, I reread your post and just saw you are in northeast NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
31Tudor

Hi John,
first of all welcome to the Ford Barn. There is a wealth of knowledge here that can answer many questions for you. For encouragement I read your story first before looking at the pictures and they were much better than I was thinking it was going to. It looks to me like you have a very restorable car. I would start with the chassis and build my way back up. The most valuable thing that you can probably do is find your local/ nearest Model A Club. There you can look at cars, and get a better knowledge of how things are supposed to be/ or what it looks like, to help envision it, instead of reading about it. Those members would also be a resource for you as well.

I think another key is don't get overwhelmed by the whole project. Take sections and work on it like the frame, front end, then rear end, engine by thinking of it in more sections, you can see your progress and before long you have a completed chassis. It also allows you to work a "section" when time and money is there.

You can do your own body work and paint. I did my body work and paint in my garage making a plastic paint booth. It is possible, and you can do a good job. I watched many a YouTube video along with help from my local car paint shop. You could maybe take a paint and body class at a community college or trade center.

Good luck with your journey. You will get a lot of good ideas here on what to do, then you can sort through them and make your best decisions.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
Russell Reay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "A" Team View Post
I attached some pics I took of it in my garage, and I may have some better pictures my mother took as we were moving it. I'll try to get them asap. I had to put the pics into a PDF document because the files were too big to insert as actual pics.

If anybody can help me with this restoration, please let me know.

Thank you everyone.

John
John- look up this video https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301908. I had terrible problems with photos until this was posted. For a true digital Luddite, I found this to be all the info I need.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #6
ronn

I agree with you. get the chassis together and running and up to speed. by that time you will have figured out how to approach the body. you are correct in that it would cost more then it is prob worth to have the body done in a shp. you can get to the body at a later date and take it in steps, regarding wood, rust, paint, topping, etc.

you can decide down the road if you want to sub any of the tough jobs out, that you might not be interested in, but you can go upside down quickly, so best to tackle everything on your own in a methodical way.
First thing to consider, how well do you want to restore the car? driver or top end show......... and go from there.

good luck and enjoy the journey.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
Chuck Dempsey

Welcome to the Barn. Best of luck....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #8
Gene F

I have seen people start with way worse.

Get ahold of some of the guys ibn your Dad's local Model-A Club Chapter. Ask them to come over, and tell them you just want to get it painted and running so you can drive it to the hardware store, or the bank every once in a while. Yell them you are not looking for perfection, just something a little nice. I can tell you putting that top wood frame in there by yourself is a job! I learned that the hard way.

It does take some funds to put a collector car together, and keep it roadworthy though. If it is just not your dream, maybe you should give it, or sell it very reasonably to a family member. I hate to say that, but it is the truth. Old car collecting is not for everyone John.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:20 PM   #9
The "A" Team

Thanks so much! I'll contact them right away.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:33 PM   #10
48fordnut

Good site. Car looks great. Good luck. Get it running first.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #11
lrf

I think joining a local club is the best thing you can do, their knowledge is priceless. Also, don't throw away or sell anything, you'll find later that you needed it. I'd start with getting the chassis moving and stopping, then deal with the sheet metal. I have an "A" engine that was rebuilt in 1962 and sat 32 years. I cleaned it up, checked specs and it runs strong. Welcome to this model "A" world, it's a blast! Keep driving your "A". LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:44 AM   #12
Clem Clement

If you join the club your dad belonged to, someone might remember him and the car. You are in for a lot of fun. You are doing the right thing to keep the car in the family.
I went to school at Stevens in Hoboken. I was raised in Woodbury (exit 3)
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:13 AM   #13
bob from red oak

Welcome to the Barn. I would suggest buying Les Andrews Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook (Red book).Then order catalogs from the major Model A suppliers Macs,Synders,Berts,and others. You will be amazed at how many parts are available and you can see pictures of how something should look as you reassemble. Good luck.
bob from red oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #14
Chris in WNC

Your car does not look that bad in the photos.
I've seen far worse brought back by amateur restorers.
Do the chassis first and study body repair kin the meantime.
Find a good mentor to work with you.....
Old 01-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #15
The "A" Team

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Unfortunately, for the people who advised asking people from my father's old car club, the club disbanded probably over 10 - 15 years ago, and I don't have contact information for any of them.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #16
1930artdeco

You are lucky that you live in Jersey. You are close to Shwalms (sp?) in penn and they do engines. They have done them since the 60’s I think. And in Maryland you have Brattons parts. Plus you will have Hershey in the fall for a swap meet.

As far as info goes there is the barn, your local club and if you are into videos, Paul Shinn puts out some really nice you tube stuff.

Welcome again and you have a really nice coupe to start from. Trust me, just take one part at a time and soon it will be done and then move onto the next part etc., etc.

Mike
Old 01-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Best of luck with your project. The only reason an amateur should start with a car like yours is if there is a family history with the car and it sounds like there is one. My first car was a 1930 coupe in 1962 when I was a senior in high school. Post a lot of pictures and people will spot things and make suggestions. Welcome to Fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #18
Leyland

Welcome and sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with everything above, keep your eye open around you for other model A owners, other car clubs, ask around at car shows.. and ask questions about who/where is your area works on old cars. Doesn’t have to be model A! The small hobby guys are usually helpful and cheaper than restoration garages. This is probably the best era ever for knowledge with internet, YouTube, published books readily available. Not to mention parts suppliers with everything you could ever need to get your car back on the road. Your car looks to be in great condition, even taking the time to sand it down, mask it off and primer-paint it in your own garage will be easy enough for now.. might even find someone to help you or do it for you. Doesn’t have to be perfect to enjoy as a driver. For what it’s worth, consider getting it running and driving and enjoy the car as you tinker with fixing it up and restoring it back to original over time. I say this because many projects I see never see the road Because people have a idiom of their perfect car, rather than enjoying the car they have, driving it to swap meets, car shows or talking your lady for dinner.. you can always pick away at the little things one step at a time each winter as a mini project. Good luck!
Leyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:40 PM   #19
nkaminar

Welcome. I think you have a good start. It takes a lot of work and money to restore a car and you have to have an incentive to do it. Lots of people just enjoy the work and take pride in the results. Others will restore a car because it was owned by a grandfather or, as in your case, a father. The car may never sell for what you put into it in terms of cash and labor so that cannot be the motivation.

The car does not have to be perfect to be a driver. Lots of people will rebuild a car with that in mind. Others take joy in having a perfectly restored car and just use it to enter car shows. You have to decide. If you have not done painting and don't have a paint booth, then doing the body work yourself and having a professional paint it may be the best route.

Good luck with your project.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #20
Stretch Cab

I also need a reference of what the chassis looks like with the engine, transmission, etc. removed, because for example, it looks like there's a "sheet metal" plate below where the engine goes that's in two pieces, and I'm wondering if it should actually be one piece.

I don't think anyone addressed this question: I think the two "Sheet metal" plates you have are the "Splash Aprons' (if I have the name right) and go to either side and below the motor. Many cars are missing these and I believe they help with the cooling when properly installed. I would be very happy to have a coupe like yours. I do have a 36 Fordor in about the same condition and am slowly getting it back together.