Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Closenough

Default 1929 Wheels for rolling around shop

I just purchased an 1929 open cab truck that's been setting for 46 yrs tires are shot and I'm wanting to know what I can put on it to get it out of the barn. Thanks
Closenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: 1929 Wheels for rolling around shop

I used 51 Ford 1/2 ton 16" wheels to roll mine around. I think any Ford wheels up to the early 50's will be ok as rollers.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
wrndln

Ford used the same lug pattern for a number of years, I think up to and including 1937, but I am not sure. I am not sure from 1938 and later, some may fit a model A's. So if you can find some "rollers" from a friend with any of these years, they would fit. I have 8 or 10 "rollers" but I live in Minnesota. If you are loading the pickup onto a trailer, carefully rolling the car on the rims shouldn't hurt as long as it is a short distance and not on concrete or black top for long. Sounds like a great find.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
SeaSlugs

Yea same pattern is used up into the 60's for sure. I rolled my AA around on a set of bare junk rims for awhile because you wont find much else that fits AA patterns/lug holes.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Ford used the same lug pattern for a number of years, I think up to and including 1937, but I am not sure. I am not sure from 1938 and later, some may fit a model A's. So if you can find some "rollers" from a friend with any of these years, they would fit. I have 8 or 10 "rollers" but I live in Minnesota. If you are loading the pickup onto a trailer, carefully rolling the car on the rims shouldn't hurt as long as it is a short distance and not on concrete or black top for long. Sounds like a great find.
Rusty Nelson
36-39 used the wide 5 pattern and will not work. The others will work up until and including 48. Pickups used the early pattern 5 on 5 1/2 for many years later.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
SeaSlugs

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...&StudSpreadMM=

darn near everything from chevy dodge ford fit bolt pattern wise. great tool btw for junkyard cross refrencing.

also a common trailer lug pattern.

fyi sometimes junkyards will darn near give you the space saver doughnuts. find 4 and have like new tires that hold air as well.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

I assume you have the original mechanical brakes. Using anything but a wire wheel (Ford through 1935) might cause a problem if anyone plans on using the wheels later. The newer (after 1935) wheels will contact the raised area on the model A drums and if you torque them down firmly you can cause a crack in the later wheels. This wouldn't be a problem for how you intend to use them but I wouldn't want to use the wheels in the future. You can see what I am talking about here:https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=1#post1286293 The post is oriented towards wire wheels on later drums but all the information is there. Check around the local clubs and see if anyone has a set of wire wheels and roller tires that they would loan you.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote