Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #21
PalAl

Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
They provide WAY more air than needed. I sold Vermin which had a VINTAGE, hang down wire mesh filter. The re-pro SMALL paper element is TOO small & makes one run WAY TOO RICH. It's a JOKE & VERY apt to cause a FIRE! They make a LONGER element & a LONGER rod for it, that's a SEMI-JOKE & still prone to FIRES!
Just use the HIGH MOUNT filter with a K&N filter element & be done with it. I'm TIRED of preaching this!
I'd give you a DISGUSTED Smiley Face, but they don't work anymore?????
Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to press your freaky button. I'm new in this hobby and trying to do it right the first time. K&N high boy will be on my motor. Thank you for your dedication to this forum, your experience helps us young and dumb.
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

IF you aren't running an air filter, just run your finger inside the air horn & FEEL the GRIT! That CRAP will destroy RINGS/CYLINDERS/PISTONS!!!
Where's your COMMON SENSE?---ALL modern cars run HIGH EFFICIENCY Air Filters. "OLD TIME" designers didn't know any BETTER!
I've even dug through old pan sludge & rubbed GRIT, between my fingers! Why assemble new engines with GREAT Cleanliness & then DESTROY it, with NO AIR FILTER??? Model A engines are NOT OK, without an air FILTER!
Years back, it was COMMON to do re-ring jobs at LOW mileages & trying to cut the BIG ridge on the cylinder walls. Nowadays, I've seen cars with cross hatch marks still showing, at even 180,000 Miles & some some engines up to 250,000 Miles & running FINE!
With modern pleated air filters, I've seen them piled up with crap & "collapsing" with debris, when not changed often enough!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

I've got Purdy good model A common sense . I also have nearly 58 years of hands on experience with a lot of model A's . We don't use filters on our updraft carbs. My experience has shown rich operation and loss of power when any air filter is used on model A carburetors . I went out to a couple of our model A buildings and felt up a few carburetors on 4 of our model A's . I didn't feel any grit in any of my carbs . Two of these model A's are running dual updraft carbs . one of these cars has no engine pans and doesn't even run hood sides . I figure that most model A's aren't used for primary transportation . We do run original equipment type air filters on our modern cars that get used daily . I'm not expecting any of our model A's to go 250 thousand miles .I've still got my first model A that I got in 1960 , I've only needed to overhaul the engine twice and I've never ran an air filter on this model A . Things that apply to modern cars don't necessarily apply to the model A. People that have worked on modern cars for a living don't necessarily know much about the model A . I do realize that trying to give helpful info is a complete waste of time . As you've said before , Be your own man .Do what you feel is right and makes you happy. serious face .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I've got Purdy good model A common sense . I also have nearly 58 years of hands on experience with a lot of model A's . We don't use filters on our updraft carbs. My experience has shown rich operation and loss of power when any air filter is used on model A carburetors . I went out to a couple of our model A buildings and felt up a few carburetors on 4 of our model A's . I didn't feel any grit in any of my carbs . Two of these model A's are running dual updraft carbs . one of these cars has no engine pans and doesn't even run hood sides . I figure that most model A's aren't used for primary transportation . We do run original equipment type air filters on our modern cars that get used daily . I'm not expecting any of our model A's to go 250 thousand miles .I've still got my first model A that I got in 1960 , I've only needed to overhaul the engine twice and I've never ran an air filter on this model A . Things that apply to modern cars don't necessarily apply to the model A. People that have worked on modern cars for a living don't necessarily know much about the model A . I do realize that trying to give helpful info is a complete waste of time . As you've said before , Be your own man .Do what you feel is right and makes you happy. serious face .
Brother Purdy,
I'm PROUD of you for being your "OWN MAN"! We should ALL do that!---Even my Dog is his "OWN MAN"---He does unusual, strange things at times, that I can't figger out??? "Maybe it's some of his WILD DOG GENES, kickin' in.????
Men & Dogs have lived together for THOUSANDS of YEARS & have lurned what pleases each other! (Mans' BEST Friend!)
Bro Bill W.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #25
kimlinh

Dave remove the whole thing. the carburetor opening faced to the rear for a reason. It helped "filter the air". If you leave the 90 degree filter adapter on it will pick up more dirt.
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
Dave Young

Thanks ... Steve H, Bill G and Kimlinh ....

Nice straight forward answers to a simple question.

Cheers, Dave Y.
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #27
duke36

The K&N filter is not paper and so far is impervious to modern gas. It is cleaned with water / cleaner and then sprayed with kit oil provided. There are other special oils available for air cleaners that don't drip like oil bath types often soaked in 50wt. oil.
After 200 miles of running, it is amazing how much soot and new exhaust pipe flaked-off paint (improperly applied !!) that gets trapped in the K&N. It is a reddish color when cleaned.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #28
WHN

You gotta do what you gotta do. As said earlier, you have to be happy with your car.

We have “always” run with the wire, dry, up draft, old style filter. Carburetor, when checked, has always been clean inside. I clean filter every 500 miles or so. We run with engine side pans.

Engine idles very nicely and is very smooth driving with no dead spots. Zenith 1 carburetor.

If engine back fires through carb, air cleaner retains flash.

I would not run a gas engine of any kind without a filter. Why take the chance.

But, you know, I change the oil every year with under 500 miles. It’s just my thing.

Got my first Model A in 1960. I’ve got my rocker out in the garage right next to our 29. Car, dog, wife, kids, we spoil them all. Enjoy.

Last edited by WHN; 02-24-2018 at 08:34 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #29
gustafson
BANNED

"I would not run a gas engine of any kind without a filter. Why take the chance."

X2
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #30
glenn in camino

I have PVC pipe parts to K&N air filters to my model A carburetors works fine and helps keep the oil clean.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #31
160B

FWIW

I run a K&N E-3050 on an original air maze. There is no reduced air flow to the engine with the E-3050, it is adequately sizes for the size of the Model A engine displacement.

The most notable difference is the color change, (accumulated dirt), in your engine oil. Without an air filter my engine oil was getting color at around 500 miles, with the K&N air filter the engine oil starts to get color around 1500 miles.
I have over 30,000 miles on my Model A’s with the K&N E-3050.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #32
gustafson
BANNED

Now, that is evidence we can wrap our heads around! Thank you!
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #33
Synchro909

Those air maze filters dangling under the carburettor on that right angled thingy can't be used here and as far as I know, no one offers an air filter that will fit on a RHD car. I fit my own but it is a squeeze. I have to make a fitting to go on the carb intake, then up and to the right through the gap between the GAV rod and the steering column itself. A length of flexible hose like a vacuum cleaner uses then runs up to an ordinary paper element filter I mount on the radiator stays. I use one large enough that there is virtually no restriction to air flow but I pressure balance the carby anyway. These modern filters work very well as we all know and it is mounted up out of the way of most of the crap. Any fuel leaking from the carby can't get to the filter either so no fire danger. Mounting an air cleaner like this would be quite easy for you guys and your LHD cars.
The first thing I did to prepare my car for long distance touring was to fit a filter for air and oil and I'd do it again the same way.

Last edited by Synchro909; 02-25-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

If you talk to yourself about something LOOOOOOOOOOONG enough, you can convince yourself of ANYTHING, either GOOD or BAD!
A Friend hasn't used a Furnace/Air Conditioner filter, for TEN (10) YEARS!!! And always complains about his SINUS PROBLEMS.
Bill W.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:20 AM   #35
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
Boy, I sure miss the days when we cleaned something up and re-used it instead of throwing it away. I think one of the major things wrong with our society is throwing something away instead of re-using it. The old stone or pumice gas filters, the wire-mesh air filteres, and the toilet paper oil filters. Whoops, you couldn’t re-use one of those.

Mike
And what about the toilet paper ?....
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #36
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
And what about the toilet paper ?....
I have PLENTY, thank you! It lasts a LOOOONG time, if you just use 2 SQUARES. I don't think it would be appreciated in the RECYCLABLES !
SA Bill W.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #37
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
FWIW

I run a K&N E-3050 on an original air maze. .
160B, What is the height of the E-3050? The K&N site shows it a 3.5". Thanks.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #38
160B

[QUOTE=Ruth;1597840]160B, What is the height of the E-3050? The K&N site shows it a 3.5". Thanks.[/QUOTE

That is correct, it is the same length as the original air maze screen filter.

See the attached photo.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #39
kimeccles

Last edited by kimeccles; 02-26-2018 at 11:57 AM.
kimeccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

FORTUNATELY, our noses have HAIR-FILTERS, but we still wear HIGH DOLLAR Breathing Apparatus! What about your POOR CAR???
Bill Boogers