Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
old henry 1934

Default 34 ford woodgrain

hello everyone. It's been a long time since I've been here. My dad just passed away and I am left to try and restore this old ford that he bought in 1962. Any help is going to be appreciated. What does the woodgrain on the dash look like? This is what I have been playing with. Thanks70superbird006_zps1b63431a.jpg006.jpg
old henry 1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 34 ford woodgrain

IF I am not mistaken this was done in the 34 woodgrain pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32wood5.jpg (49.8 KB, 125 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
rockfla

Not the greatest of a 34 Cabriolet dash BUT the shade and pattern is again very close
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34cabInt.jpg (51.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 32wood4.jpg (47.7 KB, 96 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
old henry 1934

Thats looks nice, I appreciate the response and pics
Old 12-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
DavidG

Robert,

Hmmmm; the base and ink colors look good, but the grain pattern is inconsistent with that in the Ford Archives photo shown in the DeAngelis/Francis book. It looks too disjointed/broken up. Unfortunately, my book copy is elsewhere so that thought is from memory.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
petehoovie

I think this is close to being correct....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
David J

Seems to match this one . Leaving this to the experts .

Last edited by David J; 12-10-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: pics seem to bother some
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
old henry 1934

thanks for all the pics. looks like i need to change base on my wood grain and style. i'll keep on trying
Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
DavidG

David J,

Thanks for the education; clearly different from the '33 pattern.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #10
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by old henry 1934 View Post
thanks for all the pics. looks like i need to change base on my wood grain and style. i'll keep on trying
I’ve got to be the first to say, if you did the graining yourself; it looks far superior to most that have attempted on their own. Sorry to hear of your loss and keep up the good work!
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
old henry 1934

Quote:
I’ve got to be the first to say, if you did the graining yourself; it looks far superior to most that have attempted on their own. Sorry to hear of your loss and keep up the good work!

^^^^^^ thank you. I've been a body man all my life, I have done wood grain in the past, just not for the 34. I'll keep on trying to get it closer.

007.jpg
Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
whizzernick

if this picture is your car . the frame is 33 or 34 standard.
i will try to post picture
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
old henry 1934

Quote:
if this picture is your car . the frame is 33 or 34 standard.
i will try to post picture

Thanks, I have a couple of these laying around, not sure what year they are, just used to practice on. I have all the original garnish moldings and dash for the car.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
DavidG

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but it should be noted that early '34s utilized evidently excessive leftover '33 dashes with a special overlapping instrument panel insert that once installed could only be perceived on close inspection. That dash/instrument panel combination in deluxe form carried the '33 wood grain pattern and not the '34 pattern.
A surviving example of one of the early '34 overlapping insert instrument panels along with the '33 version is shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050009.jpg (30.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P1050010.jpg (29.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Zeke3

[QUOTE= I've been a body man all my life, I have done wood grain in the past, just not for the 34. I'll keep on trying to get it closer.[/QUOTE]

old henry, what type of paint are you using for the base coat? For the wood grain, do you use paint or ink? Your test piece looks very good. Thanks
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
whizzernick

David

I agree . I have several of those early 34 panels. never have one with woodgrain.
Now for a question. David : on the engine turned 33 panel . all the original ones I have seem to have a finish that is what I would call dull . I have been told that the crome finish at that time was dull and needed to be polished to get the mirror like crome finish. I have also been told that is why the 33 grill has dull bars . Please enlighten me .
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
DavidG

Gladly!
It wasn't the chrome that had the dull finish, but rather the nickel plating used underneath the chrome that was dull and had to be polished in order for the final chrome plating to have a bright finish. Not until sometime after WWII was bright nickel plating developed which eliminated the need for polishing the dull nickel where a bright final finish was desired. With bright nickel plating, everything took on a bright finish when chrome plated.

My hat is off to you for recognizing the correct finish on the bars of a '33 grille (and the areas behind the raised perimeter where the hood lacing is attached). Those parts of a '33 grille were not polished following the dull nickel plating (documented by the original engineering drawing for the '33 grille) hence their dull finish after chrome plating. Starting with the '34 grilles through '37, the grille bars were polished, but only the leading edges. The grille bar sides continued to have a dull finish.
Few restorers go to the trouble to duplicate the original finishes as almost no plater today offers dull nickel plating. The dull effect can be created mechanically either after the bright nickel plating or after the chrome plating, although most car meet judges are unaware of the correct original finishes on the '33-'37 grilles.

As for the '33 instrument panels (the one in the photo above is a mint original), the engine turning took place after the dull nickel plating and before the last step, chrome plating. The result is something between bright and dull, but the sides and back have only the dull finish as they were not polished after the dull nickel plating.

A final note on '33 grilles. I've had several NOS versions and those on the nine cars I've owned over the years and nearly all of them have had evidence of argent (dull silver) paint on the bars. My theory is that they were painted when new in order to ensure an even appearance of all of the bars, fronts and sides.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
old henry 1934

Zeke3

Quote:
old henry, what type of paint are you using for the base coat? For the wood grain, do you use paint or ink? Your test piece looks very good. Thanks

Hi, i am using automotive paint for the base, have used red oxide primer years ago. As for as the grain I've used artist paints. I will try ink next from an art supply store if they carry it. Haven't quite got it figured out, but getting closer, at least good enough for my abilities.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I don't want to throw a Wench at the monkey but believe butler finish was the term for some plating often used on hand brakes were a minimum of polishing was desired ,34 Graining I have seen original graining like David J posted ,while the pattern is obviously correct with being involved with paint over the years and seeing how it fades ect I wonder if the paint pigments available at the time leach out some of there original tone over time ,most dash knob sets you get are more of a Mahogany finish, I don't know just thinking ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #20
David J

All I can say about the glove box door is it came to me years ago with the story of being removed early on to put a radio in the car .
It has lived in a dresser drawer as long as I have had it .

Pics make it look a little better than in person .

The knob is not a solid color and does not appear to be new .

That said over the years I have had other doors that had good graining inside but not outside like this one .
Also have had dashes and garnish mouldings that had good graining on edges that matches this .

Lastly I am NOT TRYING to sell this .
Just posted it for reference .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
I don't want to throw a Wench at the monkey but believe butler finish was the term for some plating often used on hand brakes were a minimum of polishing was desired ,34 Graining I have seen original graining like David J posted ,while the pattern is obviously correct with being involved with paint over the years and seeing how it fades ect I wonder if the paint pigments available at the time leach out some of there original tone over time ,most dash knob sets you get are more of a Mahogany finish, I don't know just thinking ,

Last edited by David J; 12-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote