Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #181
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

They are a Large Rubber & Plastic Business up here.
When Vic had Problems with his I talked to them & They insured me they had a
Rubber / Steel bonding agent (AKA GLUE ) that would work as if it were Bonded together.
When you call them Just tell the person what you have in some detail & they will get you to the correct person that knows what he is talking about.
GOOD LUCK
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #182
Bruce in southern OH

Bill, thanks will call tomorrow!!! Today I started on rewiring car. While I was under the dash I removed the speedometer. It has not worked sense I have had car, found cable broke and I am still looking for the ends ( I have an old roll of speedo cable ) the cable is larger than the cable used in Model a and early Ford short cables. If you have a source for ends I would appreciate the info. Back to the speedometer removal. Removed the glass lens today to see why it is locked up ,two small screws on back of speedo and separated gauges from speedo, little liquid wrench oil and it is still locked up, any experience with this issue, thanks Bruce
Start of wiring up grade

Split braided wire loom cover installation, insert pliers and walk along, quick!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #183
Terry,OH

The Ford speedometers often will seize from non-use. They have a small plug that can be removed and a few drops of 10W oil added as well as around the entry of the shaft into the speedometer. If you can get the shaft to move with a small screwdriver blade then you can use an electric drill in reverse, to turn the shaft and this usually frees up the speedo shaft.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #184
Bruce in southern OH

Terry, do you have a photo of the small plug location, I will go take a few photos of the speedo and you take a look, thanks Bruce
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #185
Terry,OH

IF the plug is there ,you will not miss it, is only about 1/8" Dia. Photo is a 34 Ford but later models also have the plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02488.JPG (62.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #186
Bruce in southern OH

Terry, everyone, photos of the 39 Zephyr Speedometer:
Cable entrance, back of speedometer

side view

Side view with trip reset cable

side view
Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #187
Terry,OH

If there was a lube plug it would be in the area of the trip reset cable. Doesn't look like there is one. Is the speedometer entry free to move? If it is frozen this could be the cause of the broken speedometer cable. If it moves by hand you can attach a portion of a speedometer cable and attach it to an electric drill run in reverse. This should test the speedometer and odometer and trip.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #188
Bruce in southern OH

Great Day in the Neighborhood!!!!! Today after work and a visit with Don P. and Jim C., I went to garage and wanted to try the 6 volt battery again. I had taken the battery back to Interstate to have them load test. It tested good, I have been having starting problems from the beginning, new battery, new battery cables and starter checked. Today I wanted to check battery again to see if the generator was working so I wanted to start. The problem was I have all the old wire removed even the push button to start because I had used the old wire connected to button to solenoid. So I thought I would use the push button on bottom of solenoid. Reached in car and turned on the switch, hit gas pedal twice, choke and not even two rolls of engine and RUNNING. I had just pressed the cables on battery post, not even bolt tight but twist tight. Let car run until warm near hot, turned off and hit button on bottom of solenoid and instant start. All this time the solenoid controlled by the dash push button has been the problem. Will have to order a new solenoid!!!!! Next I went to the Zephyr speedometer I left soaking in PB oil. Worked in more oil in small hole and used a cut off end piece of speedo cable and tried again to move, moved a little, more oil, moved more and now I can rotate. Will let soak more and try a cordless drill tomorrow. Starting problem solved and speedometer close to being free up!!! Still need a new speedo cable from rear of car to speedometer, 165.5 inches long.
Solenoid on fire wall problem, will start car fine with manual button, but not with electric push button.

Speedometer, small piece of speedo-cable stuck in little hole is where I found you could get oil into gears. Thanks Terry for info, I now can move but still very stiff.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #189
Ken/Alabama

Hey Bruce, Do one other test on the solenoid. Remove the wire from the small post and replace it with a temporary piece of wire then touch the other end to a head bolt or any good ground and see how it spins.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #190
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Noticed in the photo that there are some of the squeeze on splices in the circuit. Those things tend to corrode over time and increase resistance. If it is getting enough power to throw the solenoid guess it shouldn't matter. Was the solenoid throwing with the starter button? I like Ken's idea with the jumper wire for a test.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #191
Bruce in southern OH

I will try the ground wire direct to head as Ken asked, yes JSeery the solenoid did pickup with push button in dash. The problem was that the solenoid must have a weak coil or have bad contacts because the motor would either turn slower or I had to "plug" the button several times to get it to connect only to have it slowly turn or all at times turn very fast. I had checked resistance in past but using the small button on bottom of solenoid to close. JSeery the butt splices in photo are the temporary wiring I installed to eliminate original car wiring that was bare at most locations it terminated and 75 years of running spices and black tape repairs in engine compartment, thank you both for replies.

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 10-10-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #192
Bruce in southern OH

I came home today and oiled speedometer again, tried the little piece of speedo cable, not much happened. Went down to Don P. garage today and he gave me a stub piece of speedocable. I chucked it in cordless drill. Had to hold on to speedo tight and I ran drill slow, watching gears as I turned. The needle did not move. I looked at the worm gear on side and looked in a bind. Backed drill up and forward, more oil on everything. I rocked small gears with my finger. Started drill again and looked to see if needle was moving and now it was, great but real stiff cable drive. Added more oil and sped up drill motor and held there for about 30 secs. This really helped, the speedo is so free now I can move cable with two fingers. I ran until the odometer recorded a mile. I think the little odometer wheels are/were stuck together. Anyway the speedo works and the odometer at least works, cannot set trip meter to zero??? The reason I went to DON P.'s was to fix my broken cooling fan assembly on the 39LZ engine. I have given up on the super adhesive, called the company Bill W. suggested and they wanted $105.00 for the material. Not a guarantee it would work and lots of prep work involved. Next Don and I studied the Ken in Alabama suggestion of placing a couple of nice welds on back of hub, we shot that down. Next we decided to drill hub and fan assembly and tap the hub. This worked out well and I will install tomorrow. I came back from Don's and media blasted the fan assembly and painted. THANKS DON FOR THE HELP!!!!
Lay out of holes to drill

Two parts pressed together so we could drill smaller hole to tap, next photo of larger hole for bolt to pass through

Drilling hub

Don P. tapping the fan assembley

Complete, next I media blasted and painted
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #193
Bruce in southern OH

Took the 39 LZ to two car cruise ins today, one of them was about 10 miles one way from home. It was the Chesapeake OHIO Fall Fest, very few cars because of rain last night and looked like rain this morning. Lot of people interested in the car because original car and the V12 engine. Returned home at 3:00pm and loaded car up to take to the last Cruise In of year at Wheelersburg, OHIO (Halloween Cruise In ) . Had to trailer because of out of round tires shake car, about 45 miles from home one way. Same thing, everyone interested in car because of old untouched look and V12. Lots of older men said they had pictures/seen photos of V12 engine but never seen in person, everyone loved the interior and could not believe the Zephyr shifter handle on transmission. Had a good time, dark here at about 7:15.
Don P. beside the LZ

That is me beside the LZ
Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #194
Bruce in southern OH

Got my new USA made tires Monday, removed old tires and I am painting the rims. Also repaired my speedo cable, I had speedo cable and we salvaged the two ends and placed on new cable. ( saved 125 dollars plus, that is what speedo repair shop listed here on Fordbarn quoted a price plus shipping both ways, ouch!!!) Wanted to travel to Georgia this weekend but car not ready, maybe to the 2015 bash?
speedo end of cable

Columbia axle end, 165.5 inches long

Original Rim strips for the record

New Lester WW 700 X 16 tires
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #195
Vic Piano

Bruce, that's excellent, glad you are having fun with the LZ. Hopefully we'll finish mine up after we get back from the Moonshine Festival, I miss driving her.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #196
Don

Guard dog,,,,!,,,,,,,,
Old 10-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #197
Bruce in southern OH

Got new tires on car today, took car out for a test run with new tires and speedo hooked up for first time, ran car up to full scale on speedo, (100mph) pulled car over and disconnected the speedo, did not want to damage the speedo by running past the max on face of speedo. Everything is smooth, even placed in forth gear twice, ( neutral and down hill ) smooth and just wind noise, good to have new tires.
Removing blue dye material off of tires, also blasted and painted rims with single stage black paint. Will add the three silver rings on rims at a later date.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #198
Bruce in southern OH

New tires on car, went to October Fest in Ceredo, WV. almost 200 cars on a very nice day. New tires and painted rims really made the car.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #199
Bruce in southern OH

After 32 years plus (maybe more ) of not shifting the Columbia Two Speed Axle I removed the Two Speed Vacuum Canister from Axle and replaced the gasket. I also found the leather wiper/piston was folded in a small area of piston. Cleaned up the canister inside and out. Wiped leather wiper/piston with motor oil, then MMO and closed back up with new gasket. I added small tie wraps to all new vacuum rubber flex hoses for better seal. ( added MMO to the hoses so it would coat lines and system ) Jacked up the car and placed on jack stands, started car and placed in 3RD gear and it worked, ( little grind on stands ) Took car off stands and out to the highway. Took me a little time to find all the correct positions of knob while driving but this is what I found. After getting to about 40 to 45 MPH pull out overdrive knob and push clutch pedal in and gentle release clutch. (goes in overdrive ) You must leave the overdrive knob out will driving and then when ready to change back to direct drive push knob in and push clutch in and release and it works perfect for me.
Friend of mine is going to video next drive, we are in the high 70's today and calling for snow flakes Saturday, running out of good weather and time. I have to say that 39 LZ is now the best road car I have now, Great Ride and speed! Cannot imagine going from a 31 Model A to a 39 Lincoln, like going to the moon in the Day.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #200
Ken/Alabama

The clutch should be pressed before shifting the Columbia in or out .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote