Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default Question for Wagon and Delivery owners

I am in the process of building the front end of my 55 wagon project. Working on installing the front sway bar. The wagons and sedan delivery models had a larger diameter sway bar than the passenger cars. The problem is with the rubber insulator that goes over the sway bar where it attaches to the frame on each side up front. So the rubber insulater kits that Carpenter and Macs and Concours sell has the smaller diameter rubber hole to fit the smaller diameter pass cars sway bar.
So where can one buy the larger hole diameter wagon style rubber insulators? OR , could the smaller rubber ones for the pass cars be honed out some to fit onto the larger diameter sway bar for the wagons/sedan delivery?? The overall size of the rubber insulator itself is the same size , and both models use the same mounting bracket that mounts to the frame. The only difference is the diameter of that hole where the sway bar goes through.
Wagon/sedan delivery owners will know what I am asking here.....any solutions????
Thanks for replies.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:27 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Question for Wagon and Delivery owners

Quote:
... could the smaller rubber ones for the pass cars be honed out some to fit onto the larger diameter sway bar for the wagons/sedan delivery?? The overall size of the rubber insulator itself is the same size , and both models use the same mounting bracket that mounts to the frame. The only difference is the diameter of that hole where the sway bar goes through.

If you notice in the ads ... they (USUAL SUSPECTS) say to enlarge the hole for wagons.

FORD did not service the inner bushings separately, they were included on the bar assy. One would have to have gone aftermarket for just the bushings.

You might consider this - https://www.prothanesuspensionparts....r-bushings.asp

You are going to get a superior product, not some off-shore junk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAWY BAR- FRT - 1954-56 FORD - 1955-57 BIRD.jpg (34.2 KB, 12 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Question for Wagon and Delivery owners

Hate to tell you this, but I re-used my old rubber bushings when I redid the '55 Courier because the repro parts suppliers didn't offer the bushings with the larger holes for wagons. But the old bushings really weren't that bad, just ugly.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
steve fritz

I just pulled up a couple older Ford Barn posts that covered this same question a few years ago. Seems like some guys have had good luck FREEZING these rubber insulators and then using a drill to enlarge them a bit. Apparently the drill cutting action is more efficient if the rubber is frozen. I would try that I guess. Another post said he just slit the insulator and placed it back in the retainer and never had a problem in 10 years driving.
I am thinking a combination of those two methods might be best way to go. Just reaming the hole to a larger diameter would still leave me with the problem of threading them over the ends of the sway bar.....that end loop is really huge compared to the insulator hole. So then if I to the ream job AND slit the insulator , so I don't have to try to force it over the end loops, just might work.
Any thoughts????
Steve
Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
paul2748

Slitting the insulator is the way to go in my opinion.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Jwawhite

Don't forget to grease 'em. My sway bar never fit correctly, either the stock or the updated one. The metal straps bolted to the frame should have been mounted closer to the front bumper. My upright stabilizers are an angle, don't like it, have three choices either redrill the frame, change the bar to different eyelets ( squash and drill new holes) or drill on the lower control arm. All just yuck.
My isolators were split.
And what a difference it made! The front end no longer twists up into the air while taking off from standstill and the body no longer rolls on cornering.

Last edited by Jwawhite; 01-14-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
nascardave

Check with your parts house and see if they carry Moog products. I found them for my 54 wagon K7323 They are eurothane 2 to a box with bracket. They have them in metric and American sizes. Hope this helps.
nascardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
steve fritz

Dave.....did your 54 have the bigger sway bar and were you able to slip them on over the ends of the bar? Or did you have to slit them open to get them onto the bar?
is the K7323 specific to that larger wagon bar?
Thanks for this part number info.
Steve
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
nascardave

Steve, The wagon had a 3/4" sway bar, the bushing had a slit in it to slip over the bar. This series of bushings that Moog sells is specific to size not to manufacture . Dave
nascardave is offline   Reply With Quote