Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
Doug in NJ

Default Aargh! Spiders!

Hello,

I was cleaning out my garage/workshop this week, and I realized it was full of cobwebs, spiders, daddy longlegs, and spider droppings beneath the cobwebs. They get everywhere!

I live in a wooded area, which only makes the problem worse. Plus, there's a lot of clutter, so they have many places to hide.

Does anybody know of a safe and effective way to keep my garage from turning into
Shelob's Lair ( http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Shelob%27s_lair )?

Is there a better approach than just blasting it with Raid every couple of weeks?

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by Doug in NJ; 07-10-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Doug in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Aargh! Spiders!

Doug
Get one of those bug bombs. They come in a three-pack usually. No more bugs
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #3
PepeLoco

This reminds me of the problem with the rat snakes in our barns.
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #4
ctlikon0712

Doug, I have the same problem and have tried most of the bug bombs and to no avail. I would be interested in a solution also. I have heard that this might work but haven't tried it yet.
http://lifehacker.com/deter-spiders-...gar-1573218277
Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #5
bambooboy

I have used the mouse sticker pads with great success on ants,spiders and jumping crickets in my garage and house.was a gardener for group of condos that had snake problem.used piece of plywood with a bunch of pads stapled to it.caught a few near their holes.if you want to relocate snakes instead of killing,any kind of oil will release its grip on your catch tomorrow
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
bambooboy

Tomorrow should have been. Tom
Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Gary/IA

I have had the same problem both in the garage and the house. I have used this product now for several years and it is 100% effective. It is cheap, safe even in food areas, and lasts 3 or 4 months.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bi...l?sub_id=11662
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
prpmmp

They are just trying to survive and reproduce!(Just like us)! Maybe they just dig your car!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I run a hose from my tailpipe outside the garage and close the door and let the car run for a half hour or longer! On the advice of an old timer I also set out two or three saucers with pure sulphur in it. My problem...solved ! You can also light sulphur in an ashtray and let it burn in the garage bug be careful not to breath it. This is where an automatic door opener comes in handy. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 07-10-2015 at 05:31 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
Napa Skip

I live in rural Napa county, surrounded by vineyards, most of which (Charles Krug, V. Sattui, Clos Du Val, etc.) use pretty benign pest control methods. Consequently, we have our share of wildlife wandering through the area, from deer, coyotes, hot air balloons, hawks, quail, jays, snakes, and frogs down to - in the best Carl Sagan voice, "...billions and billions of spiders..." a couple of which inhabit not only my garage/shop but - of late - the KTVU Fox Chanel 2 traffic monitoring camera at the Bay Bridge toll plaza. Seems as though spiders are everywhere.

Years ago our firm assumed management of an office building in Napa Valley the owner of which grew up in New York City and later moved to San Francisco. Periodically we would meet at the property and inevitably - with regard to the box hedge around the building courtyard - the conversation would go as follows:

"Skip, there are still spider webs in the box hedge. Please make sure the maintenance crew takes care of this."

"OK, Dave. But you do realize, don't you, that there are billions and billions of spiders trying to make a living by catching insects with their webs?"

"Yes, Skip, but I don't want to see any spider webs in the box hedges."

That was 21 years ago. We still manage the property for the same owner and the spiders have not yet been vanquished.

Nor are they likely to be. Bugs, like a lot of Model A's, seem to last forever. In the end - I suspect - the bugs will win.

(With apologies for the ramble.)
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

With Shop Vac & a long pipe, suck around in the hidden areas, on a regular basis & you can get the population down a LOT! Like, under benchs, in boxes, etc.
Bill W.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #12
mshmodela

Spiders like everything has to eat... See what their food supply is.. Also, light attracts bugs which they feed upon...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Jim/GA

I use this in house and garage, inside and out, once or twice a year:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/de...cide-p-74.html

It is very effective on spiders and all other crawling insect things, and lasts a long time.

Outdoors under the eaves it stops spiders from building webs, it stops wasps from making nests.

The spiders even started to nest on the undercarriage of my Town Sedan. One spray of this and they were history.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Luckily the garage is rather spider free somehow, My apartment however is like weird bug central that invade usually when im leaving for work. Had about 4 snails on the door, had 5 huge daddy long legs(body was the size of a pea!) rush in as i opened the door, those i had to get out, luckily they cant bite humans so i just scoop em up and chuck em outside to control mosquitos and the like.

Now ive had to kill 2 huge spiders (way bigger than half dollar), one was in a pile of clothes i picked up, amazing a tool tray full of tools i dropped on it didnt kill it, had to hold it down and step on the tray and THEN i felt the crunch...

Funniest was a bumble bee that flew in made one lap around my living room and flew right back out...

Now my stance on mice and the like: i would much much much rather deal with snakes in the garage than mice...snakes just kinda occupy spaces then move on in search of mice. Mice make nests and destroy everything they walk on or sit on...

I do know that basic bleach cleaner spray kills just about everything, for a fact it kills wasps rather quickly, kills ants instantly, spiders die quick, millepedes die quick, also keeps a barrier for a few days that things wont cross...
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
29FordRoadster

In southern Indiana, people use Osage orange fruit also known as hedge apples placed around areas where spiders reside to get rid of them. Those who use them say that they really work. Of course you may have trouble finding a hedge apple tree.
29FordRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #16
bambooboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I run a hose from my tailpipe outside the garage and close the door and let the car run for a half hour or longer! On the advice of an old timer I also set out two or three saucers with pure sulphur in it. My problem...solved ! You can also light sulphur in an ashtray and let it burn in the garage bug be careful not to breath it. This is where an automatic door opener comes in handy. Wayne
wayne, hopefully this is a detatched garage(carbon dioxide will kill you or family or pets in house)just a reminder to all tom
Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29FordRoadster View Post
In southern Indiana, people use Osage orange fruit also known as hedge apples placed around areas where spiders reside to get rid of them. Those who use them say that they really work. Of course you may have trouble finding a hedge apple tree.
oh yea natures cannonball trees...they are around my area but rather scarce due to mostly farmland around here. Apparently cows love to eat them but then get very very sick from them so farmers usually get rid of the trees if they see em.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #18
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover
Thumbs up Re: Aargh! Spiders!

If you all want hedge apples I can send you some this fall I have used them for years .Yes they Work Don in Indiana 219819 4604
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
Jim/GA

Hedge apples -- not to be confused with Road apples!

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #20
Big hammer

Post #15 it works we hung them in old nylon stockings in the basement and no more spiders :-)
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote