Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Habusailor

Default 1919 t

You have seen this picture before and I have posted a couple of questions about this car during the past week. Here is the deal: I am a 35 and newer guy, I grew up with my grandfather's 35 and have restored that car, also have a 49, but here is the deal. A friend of mine and his brother own this 1919. No starter or generator. They inherited the car from their father. It looks like it has gone through a pretty good restoration, the wood is solid, new rubber, seats redone like original, so not a bad car. These guys are doing a good job of storing the car but are tired of storage fees. We tried to start the car with old gas in the tank it fired once and that was all we could get. It has a battery in the back storage compartment, when put to battery the buzzer worked, stopped after awhile. I'm not sure it was supposed to. While the buzzer was going I got a good blue spark on 1 plug. I assume that is good. The owner said to Jack the car up with the left rear wheel off the ground for easier cranking. Not sure that makes sense or is that a sign of bad clurches or tranny? I cleaned the plugs they were not real bad but a bit carboned up. As I know little about this vintage I will be asking you experts lots of crazy question s. I am thinking I should get ownership of this car to keep it from falling into disrepair but am not sure what I might be getting my self into! You can advise me on this post or pm me.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: 1919 t

First thing to do is drain the fluids, flush and refill with fresh oils, grease, and gasoline. Check the battery condition and connections. Make sure fresh gas makes it through the carb by opening the drain. With a low battery I find it easier to manually crank the car to start it. Remember to retard the spark fully and give the throttle a bit of gas. Hold the crank handle properly just in case. Jacking the car compensates for the drag of congealed oil on the trans clutch discs, and is helpful in starting cold. After everything is warm and adjusted it won't be necessary. Make sure the hand brake works and will stay put when the car starts up. My father lost a few vertebrae as a teenager in a used car lot cranking a car that went into gear and ran him over.

Last edited by J Franklin; 09-16-2018 at 11:21 PM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #3
24ruxstel1339

Default Re: 1919 t

The "buzzer" you refer to are the points on the coils buzzing. 1 per each cylinder.
You should get a buzz from each coil as each cylinder comes up on TDC.
Usually each one sounds a little different.
The timer on the front of the camshaft grounds each coil circuit with a roller and contacts.
You should hear the buzzing continuously while the roller is grounding the coil, in other words, it will buzz and stop and the next coil will buzz and stop as you crank it over.
After you have fresh fuel, 1-2 1/4 turns with the choke pulled is enough. Then crank without the choke and it should fire up, if you have spark.

Jacking one wheel helps with momentum if you "spin" the crank.
DO NOT wrap your thumb around the handle. The clutches will kinda swell and drag after sitting. It helps to leave the park brake off when parking for a period of time.
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote