Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Zkron

Default Model A panel/subrail help is

Hello
Can someone direct me to where I can find dimensions or measurements for installing new subrails and patch panels on my 31 coupe? I don’t have much to work with from the original ones.
Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Thank You Leon
Zkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
jtucker

Default Re: Model A panel/subrail help is

I replaced the rear half subrails on my '31 coupe...turned out to be fairly easy. I had my body off the frame.

Cut the old subrails out just behind the doorposts as square as possible. I supported the body with homemade stands through the deck lid rubber bumper holes at the top of the trunk/rumble opening and used jackstands at the at the firewall. I replaced the rear crossmember at the same time. Fitting the rear cross member to the new subrails (not yet riveted as there are no rivet holes in the new crossmember for the subrails...that allows for some slack in positioning the subrails front to back and vertically through use of another jackstand. Weld in the new subrails, the rivet the crossmember and subrails. Don't know if any of this would help with a full ubrail replacement. For patchpanels, remember that they wrap around the subrails with welting between panel and subrails...that helps with vertical positioning.
jtucker is offline   Reply With Quote