Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default Y block pickup tube seal

Need to replace the pickup tube seal at the oil pump. The old one has a metal insert on each side of the rubber seal. I am looking at two replacements. One from Mac's, and one from Dennis C. The one at Mac's appears to be just rubber. The one at Dennis C appears to have a metal piece built in. My metal inserts cannot be reused. Anyone have experience with either of these products, or any advice? Engine is 272. Thanks for any help. Both are showing the same OE part number.

Last edited by tommyleea; 01-27-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add info
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Y block pickup tube seal

I bought a replacement and it came without the thin metal ends that were on the old one that leaked. It isn't leaking now.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I bought a replacement and it came without the thin metal ends that were on the old one that leaked. It isn't leaking now.
Thanks..Did it have any type of reinforcement inside the seal, or just all rubber?
Old 01-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
dmsfrr

It was all rubber and a little chunkier than I expected, it was a tight fit and almost too long.
The rubber one without metal ends that came in the full-engine gasket kit seemed too small (length & OD) I was afraid it would leak.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-27-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Ole Don

Make sure you don't tighten it so much the ID gets too small to flow enough oil.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
tommyleea

[QUOTE=Ole Don;1845922]Make sure you don't tighten it so much the ID gets too small to flow enough oil.[/QUOTE

Will do, I mean won't do...Thanks

[QUOTE=dmsfrr;1845885]It was all rubber and a little chunkier than I expected, it was a tight fit and almost too long.
The rubber one without metal ends that came in the full-engine gasket kit seemed too small (length & OD) I was afraid it would leak.

Thanks..
Old 01-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
Make sure you don't tighten it so much the ID gets too small to flow enough oil.
Interesting that you'd make that observation about the same time I found this one today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pickup tube inlet.jpg (21.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Interesting that you'd make that observation about the same time I found this one today.
My tube looks exactly like that one. Looking inside the oil pump, I really can't see how tightening the nut would cause that indentation. As far as I can tell the tube doesn't butt up against anything, it just passes through an opening in the pump which has a bevel. Tightening the nut compresses the seal at the opening to prevent leakage. I can't figure out how tightening the nut would cause that indentation. It is not a flat spot on the tube, but an indentation like it was made that way. The tubes with this indentation seem to be identical, which seems odd for a mistake. Also, there is no twist on the tube, just the identation. Thoughts? I am anxious for responses. Thanks again.....
Old 01-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

Almost every one I have taken apart looks like that. I carefully work the dent out with a combination of small duckbill pliers, small sockets and a small ballpeen hammer. if there are still small imperfections, and you are worried about it , I suppose you could fill in the very minor dents by using silver solder, and filling them in, and sanding/filing them down, kind of like using bondo
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
scicala

The only reason I can think of that they were made with a dent like that, is to make installing the rubber seal easier on a production line. Maybe the service tubes from a dealer were round, and the originals were dented ? Just a wild guess.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
tommyleea

[QUOTE=scicala;1846219]The only reason I can think of that they were made with a dent like that, is to make installing the rubber seal easier on a production line. Maybe the service tubes from a dealer were round, and the originals were dented ? Just a wild guess.

That's kinda what I was thinking too.