Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Who's Buying An"A"?

This is a survey of sorts. From time to time there are posts of the demise of the Model A hobby as we know it for various reasons. I would like to know how many here plan to buy a Model A in the next 5 years? Not a purchase of opportunity but one you are thinking/planning about now.

I guess we could offset this with how many plan to sell and get out of the hobby in the next 5 years also?

I will start it off, my goal is to buy a Woodie or 30/31 Phaeton within 5 years.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Who's Buying An"A"?

In my opinion, Model A purchases are not a pre planned activity. They are quite often spontaneous acts that are initiated by an inheritance, a windfall of the sale of other chattels. The purchase of muscle cars may well be prep-planned. I personally don't know one person that has a Model A purchase in his list of priorities. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
jeep44

I'm selling one of my three Model As, but I'm replacing it with a Model T next week
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
biggieou

I'm newer to A's (got mine in June of '15) and I dont plan on buying another, but do plan on keeping mine for years to come.
www.northernohiomodela.com
biggieou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
ronn

always buying and selling- the "quest" to trade up for rarer models that I want...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Great Lakes Greg

I hope to buy a '28-'29 Special Coupe in a year or two.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
latecomer

I'am waiting any day now for my six year restoration to return.I.d love to have a pick up no room. My 29 two door looks so good my wife said its the first new car we have owned.latecomer
latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Badge109

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum recently and have been reading regularly. My wife and I live in Berks County, PA. We currently have one toy (2014 Mustang GT convertible). And only a two car garage so my daily driver sits out 24/7. If we had a three car garage we'd be looking for a Model A Fordor tomorrow. I have no problem with the daily driver sitting out as long as her car and the toys are parked indoors.

I grew up around cars. Mostly 50's-70's, but my wife and I are extremely fond of the Model A's. We look forward to being able to find one, but at this point we must wait until we upgrade homes.

Love the forum!

Matt Fogarty
Badge109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
Aok

I do have some plans to add a truck to go along with the coupe just on the fence about a pick up or an AA
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
Keith True

I don't think I've ever 'planned' to buy any A.Not really sure if I've ever planned to buy most of what I've bought.I went to buy a bundle of brake rods one time and bought a roadster.I went to show somebody a 57 Chevy I owned,I found he had a Tudor he had plans to rod,and I bought that one.I was in a gas station one day,paying for my fuel and the owner asked me if I wanted to buy his late mothers little house trailer and land.I asked him how much,he told me,I said yes.I went back out to the pumps,got in my car,and told my wife,I just bought another house.Then I took her across town and showed it to her.I'm not much of a long range planner.Although my friends tell me that I really am a long time planner,I buy all this stuff up that I can peddle later.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
jeep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I don't think I've ever 'planned' to buy any A.Not really sure if I've ever planned to buy most of what I've bought.I went to buy a bundle of brake rods one time and bought a roadster.I went to show somebody a 57 Chevy I owned,I found he had a Tudor he had plans to rod,and I bought that one.I was in a gas station one day,paying for my fuel and the owner asked me if I wanted to buy his late mothers little house trailer and land.I asked him how much,he told me,I said yes.I went back out to the pumps,got in my car,and told my wife,I just bought another house.Then I took her across town and showed it to her.I'm not much of a long range planner.Although my friends tell me that I really am a long time planner,I buy all this stuff up that I can peddle later.
I bought my Huckster after answering a CL ad for model A parts.It was just sitting neglected in the back of the barn. I once was at a gas station on a vintage motorcycle, and a guy at the next pump offered me a '68 Triumph basket case-free with title! His wife was after him to get rid of it.
Yes, sometimes the deals present themselves at the right time, and you can't say no. I was planning on just selling my '30 Fordor to make more room in my garage, but when the buyer happened to mention a Model T he wanted to get rid of, a deal was quickly worked out. Getting a T was one of those things that was on my bucket list.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge109 View Post
Hello everyone! I just joined the forum recently and have been reading regularly. My wife and I live in Berks County, PA. We currently have one toy (2014 Mustang GT convertible). And only a two car garage so my daily driver sits out 24/7. If we had a three car garage we'd be looking for a Model A Fordor tomorrow. I have no problem with the daily driver sitting out as long as her car and the toys are parked indoors.

I grew up around cars. Mostly 50's-70's, but my wife and I are extremely fond of the Model A's. We look forward to being able to find one, but at this point we must wait until we upgrade homes.

Love the forum!

Matt Fogarty
Matt, welcome to this great forum. Before you buy, ask any and all questions. Very knowledgeable people on here.
By the way, I was born and raised in Berks County and still live close by.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]I was actually looking at a friend of mine's T Center Door Sedan when he suggested I may be happier with an "A", which in his opinion fit my "needs" better. I was new to both A's and T's at the time.

I eventually followed his suggestion and bought my '30 Town Sedan ~1 1/2 years ago, which I love and won't be selling anytime soon.

By the way, I bought the "A" from the same friend.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Badge109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Matt, welcome to this great forum. Before you buy, ask any and all questions. Very knowledgeable people on here.
By the way, I was born and raised in Berks County and still live close by.
Thank you! I'm sure as time goes on the questions will be many. As a matter of fact, I think I already have the body style confused. What we will be looking for is a town sedan (all windows). If we were discussing 58-64 Chevys right now I wouldn't feel so lost!

I saw at least one other member already mention in a post that they live in the area (Pottstown I believe).

This appears to be a very friendly group. I look forward to being a part of it.

Matt
Badge109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Welcome to the Barn, Matt. Great choice of body style. We love our Town Sedan.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #16
Roadster62

I'm not one to plan anything, what happens, happens. I do have my Hershey spots paid for, and the cars I have are keepers. Bob
Old 04-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
Anteek29

I have a sweet '29 Special Coupe and will be looking for a Fordor or similar within the year.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #18
Barber31

I have seen 2 model A's that I would love to make an offer on but I need to finish mine first. As soon as I'm done I'll be looking for something else to tinker on.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #19
StoolBus

There's a good Model A frame and some other bits I may pick up for cheap. The pipe dream is to find a frame, or rolling chassis without a body to start building a speedster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #20
HoarseWhisperer

My two A's just followed me home. Now that they found me, I think I'll keep em'.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote