Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Re: SHE RUNS!!!

Currently have 4 qts of 10w40 and 1 qt of Marvel Mystery oil in her. Plan to replace oil after a few hrs of operation. She's been sitting for a couple of years as I restored her back to original. Didn't do any engine work because she ran fine prior to restoration job, but don't remember oil pressure being this high.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Possible that the gauge may not be working properly. I to my 34 for a drive today and after letting it set and run for 20 min. i went out and saw the temp had not moved from 0. Shut it off and went and got a heat gun so as to read temp at sending unit . when i got back to the car the temp gauge was at 160. I had filled the rad. the week before but took it for an 80 mile round trip at 65 to 75 mph down the interstate.

Anyway i would put a mech. gauge on it and see what it reads to make sure.

Might just need to be run awhile to loosen it up. Good Luck. Bill

Old 03-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #3

Default SHE RUNS!!!

I've finally managed to get my '50 F-1 flathead running again! Many of you responded to my earlier post requesting help in trying to get to fire....many thanks, it was all good information. Took a new fuel pump to get her to run and stay running. Now I seem to have an oil pressure problem. When I start the engine, the oil pressure climbs to 80 lbs!!! I have a spare NOS guage and it reads 80 lbs too. Any ideas? Bad sender? Any way to check "true" pressure? Also having trouble getting temp guage to read properly, but haven't worried about this as much as the oil pressure.

Thanks for all your previous help on getting her back running, and thanks in advance for your help on this one.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #4

What do you use for oil? My fresh 8ba on a cold start idles at 50 lbs and then drops to 35 at hot idle. At 65 mph with 4:11 rear gear it holds 55 to 60 lbs hot. Bill

Old 03-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #5

they usually peg the gauge when cold it should come down when warmed up. my stock goes to 80 when cold and drops to 20 when hot. ken ct.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #6

Default Where in Georgia?

I'm at Rockmart GA.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #7

Thanks. I feel a little beter now. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it drops as the oil gets hot. Just as a note of information, how long before it should start dropping? 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes? Thanks for the info.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #8

Default Re: Where in Georgia?

I'm in Calhoun

Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #9

It depends...

Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #10

Default ...

on how long it takes the engine to get up to operating temperature. If idling I'd give it 15 to 20 minutes max.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:26 AM   #11

wait till the engines up to operating whats that 20 minutes can you wait that long. ken ct. [temp]

Old 03-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #12

Default Re: Where in Georgia?

I know Calhoun well. I was pastor of Hill City Baptist Church near Calhoun in the late '70's-early '80's.