Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
push_rod

Default Re: Message inside hub caps from prev owner

Years ago I remember seeing a 1960's Ford Motor Company film of tips for new car owners. One suggestion was to place a small card with your name and address written on it into your door. The thought was that, if your car was ever stolen, and the VIN was changed, you could always identify it by the card placed inside the door.

When my sister and I were old enough to start learning how to drive, my parents bought us a well used 1964 Falcon Sprint Hardtop. The car was pretty dented up, and the headliner was hanging in shreds. My sister wouldn't be seen in it, so I claimed it as mine. Years later, when I decided to restore the car, I found a flat rectangular plastic key fob inside the door. It was from a Ford Dealership in nearby Oakland. On the backside was a strip of Dymo label tape with a woman's full name on it. I can only guess she was the original owner, who had perhaps seen the same tips for new car owners film! I still have that Falcon, and the key fob, but I have never been able to locate that previous owner.
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
oldblue

Thumbs up Re: Message inside hub caps from prev owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRITZ47 View Post
We pulled the hub caps off my 1940 Ford Convertible yesterday to polish them, and inside of them was a message in black magic marker:

"Last Owner 9-2-07 Andy - Good Car" One of the others said, "Excel Car". His phone number was also marked inside each hubcap.

The previous owner is deceased, but this was his message. Is this common on old cars? I have never run into this before. You can bet I will leave this message, and may add a message of my own!

I have placed detailed wiring information inside odd places in some of my cars, in hopes that it might help a future owner. Remember we don't actually own our cars, we are just caretakers for the next owner(s).

Fritz
Not a bad idea Fritz . I think I will put that into practice
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #23
Jason M.

Default Re: Message inside hub caps from prev owner

My 1967 VW van had "Bob Zager San Leandro '76" on the drivers door under the door panel. Anyone know him?

My Parents had a '64 Pontiac wagon before I was born, it had "Merry Christmas" written in seam sealer on the firewall.
Jason M. is offline   Reply With Quote