Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Craig Lewis

Default Site brightness question

Does anyone know of a way to change the background of this page to a neutral colour?

Dunno if it's just me, but the white background is frying my eyeballs!

For the record...I have gone into the screen settings and worked with my resolution & dimming features.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Site brightness question

Yes, but it is not for the faint-of-heart. You need an app ported to your particular browser to actively override the CSS Stylesheet for the displayed page every time that website page is called. Wanna see it? Right click on this page and select "View page source". All the override apps I've seen expect you to somewhat understand that source code. You could try sunglasses.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Craig Lewis

eh thanks...I guess.
Someone suggested "fishing glasses", apparently they have an antiglare lens.
I'll try and find some tomorrow.
After about 10 minutes on this laptop I feel like I have welding flash. I didn't have this trouble with the old CRT monitors but it seems the flat lcd screens all have a certain level of annoyance for my eyes.
I keep trying different cures but haven't found anything that works, just thought someone else might have the same trouble...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
MikeK

OK, plan "B".- All laptops have a power management program that controls screen brightness independently for battery and AC use. The default for AC is usually 100%. Look for an icon that is either a battery charge indicator or an AC plug. Click on it. A power management program should open. In there you should be able to set the AC operation brightness to a lower level.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
sturgis39

When you are cool the sun shines all of the time. I wear sun glasses 24/7. I heard this back in the sixties.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
30ccpickup

On your keyboard look for a picture of the sun, there should be two, sun up/sun down, these keys control the brightness. Hold down the Fn key (function) and at the same time press the sun key with the down arrow on it. This will dim the screen.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
Ross/Kzoo

Have you had your eyes checked? An op*******ologist may be able to advise you.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
roccaas

My Apple desktop has a Gamma setting that makes for easy glare free viewing. Neither my iPad nor any Windows display has any such setting that I can find, and like you, the glare does bother me on these machines.

I know there are glare reducing stick on's for iPads, but I haven't gotten that far.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis39 View Post
When you are cool the sun shines all of the time. I wear sun glasses 24/7. I heard this back in the sixties.
That was in an accident report when I was in the Air Force. An airman was disembarking an airplane at night and fell down the gangway stairs and was injured. It was found he was wearing sun glasses. When questioned about that, his reply was "Man, when you are cool, the sun is always shining". We all had a good laugh about that.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
eh thanks...I guess.
Someone suggested "fishing glasses", apparently they have an antiglare lens.
I'll try and find some tomorrow.
After about 10 minutes on this laptop I feel like I have welding flash. I didn't have this trouble with the old CRT monitors but it seems the flat lcd screens all have a certain level of annoyance for my eyes.
I keep trying different cures but haven't found anything that works, just thought someone else might have the same trouble...
Interesting because my experience is just the opposite. I never touched a computor until about 12 years ago, and then for 2 weeks I used a CRT and had eye strain after a few hours use each day. I bought my own computor then a few weeks later and paid extra for the LCD and had no more eye strain.

Each time I turn on my laptop I hit the Fn and F5 keys to dim the screen to almost the lowest level. Not only is it easier on the eyes, but it saves power.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Interesting because my experience is just the opposite. I never touched a computor until about 12 years ago, and then for 2 weeks I used a CRT and had eye strain after a few hours use each day. I bought my own computor then a few weeks later and paid extra for the LCD and had no more eye strain.

Each time I turn on my laptop I hit the Fn and F5 keys to dim the screen to almost the lowest level. Not only is it easier on the eyes, but it saves power.
The CRT settings are usually set for 60Hz refresh this rate and if you are in a room with florescent light can cause problems. If you have a CRT set the refresh rate higher and there will me less problems.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
2manycars

I turned down the brightness on my screen this morning and while it is not quite so easy to read the words, it is much easier on the eyes. I think I will leave it dimmed . I read in the AARP magazine that the screen should be an arm's length away and the top of the screen should be about even with your line of sight.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Yes, but it is not for the faint-of-heart. You need an app ported to your particular browser to actively override the CSS Stylesheet for the displayed page every time that website page is called. Wanna see it? Right click on this page and select "View page source". All the override apps I've seen expect you to somewhat understand that source code. You could try sunglasses.
Yo, MikeK, Dog here, for a nano-second, I thought you swiped my SUNGLASSES! Buster T.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
OK, plan "B".- All laptops have a power management program that controls screen brightness independently for battery and AC use. The default for AC is usually 100%. Look for an icon that is either a battery charge indicator or an AC plug. Click on it. A power management program should open. In there you should be able to set the AC operation brightness to a lower level.
Thanks Mike. I've been there before and just checked again but it only adjusts the timing of when the screen shuts down. The physical adjustment of the brightness is adjusted within the display settings and on the keyboard of course.
There's a company called "Gunnar eyewear" that seems to market glasses for my symptoms. I'll endevour to try some and would like to hear if anyone else has tried them.
The glasses are apparently popular with "gamers" and not sure if they're a trendy placebo or in fact hold some worth..anyone?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
On your keyboard look for a picture of the sun, there should be two, sun up/sun down, these keys control the brightness. Hold down the Fn key (function) and at the same time press the sun key with the down arrow on it. This will dim the screen.
See 3rd paragraph of original post. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
Have you had your eyes checked? An op*******ologist may be able to advise you.
Had them checked yesterday. Eyes fine.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Benson

Craig,

Have you tried Accessibility options in windows?

See note below to get to accessibility options ...

Below are some examples of what several options that are available.

To change High Contrast options

High Contrast is designed for people who have vision impairment. High contrast color schemes can make the screen easier to view for some users by heightening screen contrast with alternative color combinations. Some of the schemes also change font sizes for easier reading.
  1. Open Accessibility Options
  2. On the Display tab, under High Contrast, click Settings, and then do one of the following:
    • To use the shortcut which allows you to turn High Contrast on or off by by pressing left ALT+left SHIFT+PRINT SCREEN keys, select the Use shortcut check box.
    • To change the High Contrast appearance scheme, select an option from the Your current high contrast scheme is list.
Note
  • To open Accessibility Options, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Accessibility Options.
I also like the 75 hertz screen setup on CRTs and LCDs better than 60 hertz as mentioned above. Although it is not as much of a flicker with LCD compared to CRTs.

CRT flickering at 60 hertz when you look away as seen in peripheral vision drives me crazy and hurts eyes.

Last edited by Benson; 02-17-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
1st_model_a

Craig, Think Benson is on right track - it sounds like you may have a "high contrast white setting". Try changing to windows classic setting.
1st_model_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Craig Lewis

Benson & first Model A... will try it tonight when I get home.
Beefing up my shop wiring for the new spot welder today. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
Jim Mason

I turned the brightness down. Now i kant unnerstan wot i is reeding. I can haz cheezburger tho.