Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Gemboy12

Default 2 newbie questions

All:

I inherited my fathers 31 deluxe roadster. I know this is going to sound stupid, but , how do I take the top down? does the rear window flap get tucked up or just disconnected along with the side curtains?

Also didn't some one make Schrader style valve covers that fit over a modern inner tube valve stem?

Thanks for your help , again I apologize for dumb question but I figured it was easier to as a basic question than ruin the Lebaron Bonney top.

Jim in Baltimore
Gemboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 2 newbie questions

Jim, there used to be some generic dust covers made for Model-Ts that are as you describe but on the 19" tube, there really isn't a cover used on them like you are thinking so those would look very out of place.

On the top, remove the side curtains completely and stow under the front seat, then leave the curtain in the closed position. Start by unsnapping the flap on the windshield, then loosen the wingnut-type screw on each side that holds the front bow to the stanchions, then lay the top back against the top rests. Now you can see where you will pull the top irons down on each side to allow it to accordion. Once nearly folded, you should see a little tang along with a punched hole in the top iron. The tang will snap into the iron to help it stay closed. There is a top boot that is installed next. Hope that helps some.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote