Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Al/Lindley

Default Brassworks Radiator and Motometer

Hi guys
I just bought a new Brassworks radiator for my 1930 to cure my overheating problems. The radiator is great, looks very nice, but I had an issue with my motometer that I thought I ought to mention it to anyone who has a similar experience. When I put the motometer on the filler neck and tightened it in place, the brass stem on the motometer will come down squarely on top of the end of the fixed overflow tube. Without watching, I put the motometer on and tightened it down in place and unfortunately bent up the motometer. Lesson learned. I called Brassworks, who were very helpful, and they instructed me to bend the overflow tube out of the way. This isn't easy to do since the tube is firmly soldered in place in a "cup" under the filler neck. Guess you have to take a screwdriver and place it inside the overflow tube and move it toward the front bumper. It would probably have been fine with a normal radiator cap, but would be an issue with those who use the temperature motometer.
Al/Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Brassworks Radiator and Motometer

For the price they charge for those radiators, one would thing they would check that, and bend it if necessary, before it left the factory. I had one that had the bottom plate spot welded without first aligning the holes with the side support brackets, and had to drill the mounting holes. The final inspector must be blind.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Had the same issue with the former owner several years ago. The reason then was the necks were obtained from another source. twenty minutes of tinkering and all was fine.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Fred
BANNED

That is only ONE of the same problems I had with a 28-29 BRASSWORKS radiator, & it was NOT a reproduction Motor Meter or cap.. I went with BERG`S RADIATOR in ILL. #618-732-6275 & they fit the car !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote