Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
JonC

Default paint and finish

I am starting my 31 std, Roadster and have decided to leave it as a std car. But.... Was it possible for some one to have a Std car painted a deluxe color. I fell in love with Brewster green and black fenders, but I can only find this on a deluxe. Will I end up building a car that can not be judged because of that.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Jim Mason

Default Re: paint and finish

That's not how the adjudication works. build it, paint it any way you want. if it meets the minimum to enter judging, it will be judged. you can judge your own car. just realize that you will lose points on anything that doesn't match the standards. paint scheme used on a dlx model, used on a standard car will lose points. a well done 'driver' (I hate that term) using as much original as possible would score quite well.
I would rather score 350/500 on a difficult scale than 500/500 on an easier scale. choice is yours.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a catch all for 1931. IF a commercial concern wanted colors to match what they had, they could get colors that were not standard.

I thought I had the 3 page Ford document but I can't find it.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
JonC

I guess that is good news for me, thanks. I plan on restoring this car as close as I can. I just didn't want to show up and have some one say I am not eligable for judging based on color choice. Thanks again
Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
jm29henry

As , Jim has said paint it the way you want ,enjoy the experience and you will love your car!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Are you going for a trailer queen the gets trophies with piles of NOS parts or a car you like and want to drive? Are you going to Model A meets or AACA?

At the AACA meets they probably will not notice, they do not seem to notice a lot of things from my 30 years of paying attention.

In the end it is your toy make it how you will be happy. Spend more time on properly restoring the mechanicals to how henry made it and you will have a fun very very reliable car that is happy parading all day or running 55 MPH all day long.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
JonC

Thanks for the advise This is the third A I have owned, The first basket case. at 64 with it taking about 5 to 7 years to restore a car this may be the last one I will do. I would really like to do a first rate job and it may be a semi trailer queen. I would like to attend model A meets and still have a very reliable car I can use to give the grand kids a ride in. I just didn't want to be told it can't be for judged at a Model A meet. Not interested in speed 45 to 50 is fine with me.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post

At the AACA meets they probably will not notice, they do not seem to notice a lot of things from my 30 years of paying attention.
If I remember right I think the "judging manual" from the AACA for the A is something like 8 pages, ours are, what, 500?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
JonC

I have an old judging manual maybe 25 years old and it's overwhelming at times, I hate to see the new one
Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
32 chevy vett

I got my new revised 2016 restoration guidelines and judging standards. I was very disappointed. I thought when you pay $50.00+with shipping you would get the whole book so I called to tell them I got from 13-18 to 15-1 missing all of 14. I was told this is revised.You should have that page in your book. I told her I do not have a book that is why I sent for this one. Pages 14-? is all about paint colors the one part I needed. Now I was then told it will cost you $30.00+ more to get pages 14-? so now the cost is $80.00+ They got me this time but they will never get me again. I feel I have been ripped off big time by MARC and MAFCA

Last edited by 32 chevy vett; 01-23-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: missed a word
32 chevy vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 chevy vett View Post
I got my new revised 2016 restoration guidelines and judging standards. I was very disappointed. I thought when you pay $50.00+with shipping you would get the whole book so I called to tell them I got from 13-18 to 15-1 missing all of 14. I was told this is revised.You should have that page in your book. I told her I do not have a book that is why I sent for this one. Pages 14-? is all about paint colors the one part I needed. Now I was then told it will cost you $30.00+ more to get pages 14-? so now the cost is $80.00+ They got me this time but they will never get me again. I feel I have been ripped off big time by MARC and AACA.
I believe u meant to state MARC and MAFCA

AACA does not have anything to do with it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
32 chevy vett

Your right MARC NOT AACA Sorry about that.
32 chevy vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 chevy vett View Post
I got my new revised 2016 restoration guidelines and judging standards. I was very disappointed. I thought when you pay $50.00+with shipping you would get the whole book so I called to tell them I got from 13-18 to 15-1 missing all of 14. I was told this is revised.You should have that page in your book. I told her I do not have a book that is why I sent for this one. Pages 14-? is all about paint colors the one part I needed. Now I was then told it will cost you $30.00+ more to get pages 14-? so now the cost is $80.00+ They got me this time but they will never get me again. I feel I have been ripped off big time by MARC and MAFCA
Let's look at the ad from MAFCA,

The $55.00 one states;
"Now - New Model A Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards with Revision 4 that includes 330 New pages with over 500 detailed photos. New illustrations and reorganized for more efficient use. The three ring binder contains 30 sections and all revisions."

and the 30.00 one states;

"Revision 4 Restoration Guidelines. 330 New pages and information with over 500 detailed photos and illustrations. Reorganized for more efficient use."

I can see where you got confused in the wording, the $30.00 order does not state that the past binder is needed and this is only a revision. But the picture is clear.

To say you were "ripped off" is a little harsh seeing a 55.00 book and a 30.00 book I would have called to ask about the difference.

Tell you what I would like to do for you, I bought the whole new book and I have a copy of the guidelines without the Revision 4 that has a brown cover, you have revision 4. You can have my old one, PM me.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
JonC

So I should buy the 55 dollar book if I have really nothing to go buy , right?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
So I should buy the 55 dollar book if I have really nothing to go buy , right?
Right!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
JonC

See, I have to start with the basics. Get the right book. Thank you Mike.