Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default Shut Off Valve Leaking

Determined the gas smell in the garage was the result of a leaky shut off valve which allowed the carb to leak. Any good/bad source for securing a new one ? Have heard that Bratton's are the best. Any special procedures for changing it out ? Welcome input.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
dennis lumbert

Default Re: Shut Off Valve Leaking

I got one from Snyder’s several years ago with no issues.
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Bill G

I first bought an inexpensive kit and that really didn't work well, so I bought a new valve. Whether you do a kit or a new valve, you need to drain the tank and you will get a little more gas that comes out when you take the valve out. Just be prepared with a coffee can or something to catch it in. Best to take the floor mat and floorboards out so any gas drips down onto the concrete below without messing up the floor of the car. I got my valve from Bert's. No matter who you get it from, they are not that expensive. Procedure-wise, it should be pretty intuitive, but just in case, you could follow the Les Andrews red book instructions. If you don't have that book, and you want to do *ANYTHING* on your own car, you should get that book if you don't get any other. Also, be sure to order the little pencil filter that goes on the top of the valve and sits inside the tank. It is one more precaution against having flakes from inside the tank getting through to the carburetor.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Determined the gas smell in the garage was the result of a leaky shut off valve which allowed the carb to leak. Any good/bad source for securing a new one ? Have heard that Bratton's are the best. Any special procedures for changing it out ? Welcome input.
Foreign sourced Fuel shutoffs are known to leak new out of box. I went through 2 of them before I learned from the forum to get them from Brattons, USA Made, 3 year warranty. Ordered one from them - fixed.

Most of the foreign sourced shutoffs factories do not clean machining debris out of them sufficiently before assembling them. The debris scores the ball used as the valve, it leaks, and typically is not repairable. The kits you see for repairs are primarily for the original design/old stock/NOS shutoffs, and do not typically work on present day shutoffs.

If you currently do not have a Fuel filter pencil filter in your shutoff , You should install one. It inserts into the top of the shutoff and sticks up into the tank. It keeps debris/rust out of the shutoff which ruins the shutoff, again scoring the ball used as a valve. This damage is not covered under the Brattons Warranty.

This also would be a good time to clean out your tank, especially the bottom.

Been through this myself, hope you do not mind unasked for advice.

W
hen you put it back in, wrap the threads with a single layer of plumber teflon tape.

When you drain the tank, and unscrew the valve out, make sure you use plasitc and a catch tray/pan under it, a cup to a half cup of gas will come out.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 04-13-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typos
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Bill G

If you use the teflon tape, you will probably want the stuff that is made for gasoline. I think that is yellow colored as opposed to regular white.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
Mike Peters

I ordered a new shut off valve from Bratton's yesterday to replace a leaky original valve. The above discussion reassured me that I made a good move for a change. Thanks guys!
Even after lapping in the original valve with valve grinding compound it still leaked.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
I ordered a new shut off valve from Bratton's yesterday to replace a leaky original valve. The above discussion reassured me that I made a good move for a change. Thanks guys!
Even after lapping in the original valve with valve grinding compound it still leaked.

After lapping with a light compound, I do it again with White toothpaste. Ends leaks.....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
stewgee

Replaced mine a few days ago with one from Smith & Jones. Easy fix and smooth on off now. I drained the tank by running most of the fuel out and emptying the sediment bowl and then draining out the rest with the fuel line to the carb. No leaks and like I said smooth on/off.
stewgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
After lapping with a light compound, I do it again with White toothpaste. Ends leaks.....

If they are scored, my experience lapping does not work/fix. Tried a bunch of things, was a waste of time, so decided to replace. Even ordered an original off E-bay that the seller insisted was leak free - leaked. Tried lapping that one and still leaked. So I went through 4 valves including the original before I ordered from Brattons.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 AM   #10
Garagekulture13

I rebuilt my shutoff valve with no luck. So I too ordered a new one. It's operation is so smooth compared to my old one. Also no known leaks. I'd just order a new one and be done. I'm sure Bratton's or Snyder's will take care of you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
1928Mik

I did the same as Garagekulture13. Snyders shutoff did the trick.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
Gene F

The old ones are a 50-50 shot at best. "Fuel filter pencil filter in your shutoff ," is good advice. I have the pencil screen, and it works perfectly. Just a little drop of gas on the front floor matt will really stink more than what you are inclined to think.

Snyders is the way to go.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
Four Lazy C Boss

Quote:
You can avoid the hassle of draining the tank by replacing the inside fuel line (between the tank valve and inside firewall) with a new line which has an inline valve - available and Bratton's ...

https://www.brattons.com/30-31gas-li...off-valve.html

After posting this, I installed the above line, but I could not get the compression fittings on either end to stop leaking. I don't know what I was doing wrong because they looked fine and seemed to tighten down well. I reinstalled the original line and the joints don't leak, but I've still got the leaky shut-off valve.

FOUR LAZY C BOSS

Last edited by Four Lazy C Boss; 07-13-2019 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Part I suggested did not work for me.
Four Lazy C Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

I prefer Brattons fuel shutoff, American made and 3 year warranty. Went through 3 new ones that leaked form other sources, was told to try Brattons - issue solved.

But it is still a good idea before actuating them the 1st time, to disassemble and clean out. Manufacturers sometimes do not do a good job of cleaning machining debris out, and 1st actuation gouges the ball/wall.

https://www.brattons.com/fuel-shut-o...-gas-tank.html

If you had a leak, then you also have a Carb issue, should not leak. Possible causes - Float level too high, float valve not seating properly, gas seeping past the jets or float valve threads.

I've had good luck with the Viton float valve and a little MMO in the gas. I can leave my fuel valve on for weeks and no leaks. Not that I do that on purpose though
Old 06-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #15
B0B

YES I had the same problem and bought a new original type shut off valve .That lasted less than a year so I bought another one and it developed the same problem ! My wife can smell the slightest gas smell in the garage . I found on the forum where one guy suggested getting a ball type shut off valve .SO I went to my friendly hardware store and he had a small ball valve with the same threads I bought that it was half the price of the
"original type "
the small ball valve has been in there now over a year with no problems .
To install it I had to bend the fuel line just a little to get the threads to line up.
you may need an adapter too I don't remember if I have an adapter on it . If your like me and do not have a high point show car this works great .
B0B
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
B0B

Another comment . I just installed a Sears 2405 carburetor made by Marvel Shebler . NO LEAKING AT ALL ! even if I forget to shut off the fuel also NO STALLING ! and much slower idling to boot .
going down hill or making a quick stop. Have you ever made a quick stop at a busy intersection and in the middle of traffic had the engine stall and there you sit re-starting the engine . I like this carb also for SAFETY . OH! almost forgot I bought this carb on Ebay it was expensive there is a guy on there who rebuilds them and sells them on Ebay he does a good job ... NUF SED Bob
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0B View Post
Another comment . I just installed a Sears 2405 carburetor made by Marvel Shebler . NO LEAKING AT ALL ! even if I forget to shut off the fuel also NO STALLING ! and much slower idling to boot .
going down hill or making a quick stop. Have you ever made a quick stop at a busy intersection and in the middle of traffic had the engine stall and there you sit re-starting the engine . I like this carb also for SAFETY . OH! almost forgot I bought this carb on Ebay it was expensive there is a guy on there who rebuilds them and sells them on Ebay he does a good job ... NUF SED Bob

My view

A Zenith carb that is not worn and has been rebuilt/adjusted properly will not stall or leak. And idle properly at 350-500 rpm. Not a fair comparison if the problem carb has not been rebuilt/tested vs. a completely rebuilt/tested marvel carb on E-bay. There are other advantages though to the Marvel (which I do not remember right now).
Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #18
ryanheacox

Another vote for Brattons, super smooth and no leaks. Only issue I had was getting the valve tight enough while making it line up with the fuel line. I ended up needing to run a die down the threads about another 1/4 turn, worked like a charm. Got it good and tight, no sealant and no leaks.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
My view

A Zenith carb that is not worn and has been rebuilt/adjusted properly will not stall or leak. And idle properly at 350-500 rpm. Not a fair comparison if the problem carb has not been rebuilt/tested vs. a completely rebuilt/tested marvel carb on E-bay. There are other advantages though to the Marvel (which I do not remember right now).

Agreed, a good Zenith should not leak regardless of the shutoff.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Lotta discussion about your question. I understand the part about the valve not closing all the way. Had the same problem show up as a carb leak on the garage floor. And in my view, you have solutions to the valve issue. The float valve leak is secondary and will eventually need to be addressed. If the valve is seating properly and the float is set properly, there should be no leaking.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote