Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
garyhamblin

Default Efi engine

Is very hard to install a efi engine out of a Ford Explorer in my 1951 Ford F1
garyhamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Efi engine

The folks on the HAMB might have more experience with a more complicated and less traditional modification like that. The guys around here generally stick with the flatheads. Some folks have installed EFI systems in there flatheads though. Still not an easy mod.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

HAMB issue..........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Binx

This is a somewhat "keep it original" site so Hokey Ass Message Board (H.A.M.B.) may be what you seek.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Ross F-1

I'll give you a quick answer, there is a LOT to it. Sure, you can do anything, but I'd say it's $4k beyond the cost of the engine, and you'll have frame mods to use a different trans.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
tubman

Sending someone wanting to install an EFI engine to the "H.A.M.B."? I don't know if that's a very good idea. I think a Street Rodder site would be more appropriate. Sorry; I am not familiar with any of them.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

Throttle body injection would not be hard with the right donor parts from a late 80's -mid 90's V8. You would need to use the ECM and the most basic sensors. Port injection (my preference) would be alittle more involved. For either I would use the 4brl intake manifold. My cousins 55 Chevy has fuel injection and ECM from a 95 Chevy pickup on a 283. The ECM is tucked away under the dash and harness is very clean looking. Hard to tell anything has been done without looking very hard in a few places. Rod
Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
koates

Fitting up the mechanics is one thing, but fitting up the electrics is another kettle of fish. You would require all the wiring harness, computer, fuse/relay box and all the other electrical components that belong with that engine, and fit it all in to make it work OK. A big job really and not something we normally discuss on the Barn. Good luck. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Sending someone wanting to install an EFI engine to the "H.A.M.B."? I don't know if that's a very good idea. I think a Street Rodder site would be more appropriate. Sorry; I am not familiar with any of them.
Tubman is right. The HAMB is all about traditional hot rodding. Sending someone over there to talk about EFI is like throwing chum in the water near a school of sharks...
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

Lightbulb Re: Efi engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhamblin View Post
Have you heard the old saying about the guy who asked the salesman what that new Rolls Royce cost? The answer: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" Putting an Explorer engine in your F1 is similar: "If you have to ask, it's over your head!"
I'm not poking fun; it's just that before starting a project like this, you should have a basic concept of what's involved in a swap: the usual motor mount mods, cooling system changes, linkage and wiring issues, etc., etc. Now add in the electronics. For example, if you use the Exploder trans, you need a speed sensor in the rear end to control when the trans will shift. If you adapt to the original trans, how will the ECM know what gear the trans is in so it can set the correct fuel mixture and timing?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
deucemac

It is not that hard IF you have the complete engine and all the computer harness and computer plus all sensors. Depending on whether you are using a 5.0 or a 4.6 will determine how much trouble with fitment issues. The 5.0 is smaller and affords easier installation. The 4.6 is huge in anyone's book and will be much more of a challenge. If you are not an experienced fabricator,
I would think twice before taking on the 4.6. If you have ALL of the harness for either engine makes things much easier. The fuel injection and ignition system is a stand alone system requiring only 3 wires to function, constant 12V, switched 12V, and a dedicated ground separate from all other grounds. You can get an "electrical vacuum troubleshooting manual" on Ebay for your particular engine/donor vehicle and it will be of great assistance to you. If you have a 5.0 you can get away with using an email from a standard Trans vehicle if you want to use an older AOD. If using a 4.6, I would recommend using the engine and transmission together from the donor vehicle. If you have done engine swaps before, it is just a new chapter. If this is your first time, look for an experienced person to coach you along. The bottom line is, it is not that scary and will yield great results if you take your time. God luck!
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
chuck stevens

About a year ago I swapped a 302 tpi with an AOD trans into a 66 f-100. It had all the electronics from the 88 Grand Marquis and I kept
the trans with the engine, I'm not going to say it was a piece of cake, but I sorted out the problems one by one. I totally love the truck now 22mpg , starts and runs like a clock, it is best to have some Ford friends close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac View Post
It is not that hard IF you have the complete engine and all the computer harness and computer plus all sensors. Depending on whether you are using a 5.0 or a 4.6 will determine how much trouble with fitment issues. The 5.0 is smaller and affords easier installation. The 4.6 is huge in anyone's book and will be much more of a challenge. If you are not an experienced fabricator,
I would think twice before taking on the 4.6. If you have ALL of the harness for either engine makes things much easier. The fuel injection and ignition system is a stand alone system requiring only 3 wires to function, constant 12V, switched 12V, and a dedicated ground separate from all other grounds. You can get an "electrical vacuum troubleshooting manual" on Ebay for your particular engine/donor vehicle and it will be of great assistance to you. If you have a 5.0 you can get away with using an email from a standard Trans vehicle if you want to use an older AOD. If using a 4.6, I would recommend using the engine and transmission together from the donor vehicle. If you have done engine swaps before, it is just a new chapter. If this is your first time, look for an experienced person to coach you along. The bottom line is, it is not that scary and will yield great results if you take your time. God luck!
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
my4dv8

Yes not too HAMB friendly , how ever you could drop the efi and fit a 4 barrel carb which would simplify the plumbing and wiring . Providing it's not the big modular 4.6 v8.
We fitted one in a 54 ,efi and all , power steer , 4 wheel discs etc ,it wasn't a rocket but a very dependable driver. But when the hood was shut most folk who didn't know thought it was still flathead powered. We used a complete donor car and used everything from the drivetrain.
A couple of links..
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=31018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mbhxrs3KuQ
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
36coupe

I have a friend that did a late model ford engine in a 1960 mercury pickup. It already had a volarie clip in it. He used the most of the wiring harness including the fuse box. Doing that even the door buzzers worked when the door was opened and the key was in the ignition.

Some folks would find the electrical part of the build easier than the welding and fabbing part.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
mrtexas

Get an after market EFI like Go Street. Much easier and cheap at $800. Computer and 2 sensors(MAP and throttle position) built into the "electronic carburetor" throttle body and not a rat's nest of wires. You only have to install the O2 sensor and water temperature sensor. Then hook up power, ignition and tach. They even give you a hand held computer to program it. You will need a high pressure fuel pump and return line as well. I am just completing the install on my 94 mustang 302 in a 49 Ford woodie. Piece of cake! I like the looks of the 302 OEM FI but GO Street is cheaper and easier.

In fact I bought a second unit and will be putting it on my 41 flathead. Distributor is not controlled so no problems with that. I've already got a 4 bbl intake manifold for it.

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-21-2016 at 06:43 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
itslow

The HAMB is not the appropriate forum.

The forum at Hotrodders.com would be a better choice. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #17
tilthe2ndcoming

Thumbs up Re: Efi engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac View Post
Thanks Duecemac. Well said. I am a little confused though. You wrote, " If you have a 5.0 you can get away with using an email from a standard Trans vehicle if you want to use an older AOD." what did you mean by 'emai'? or is it a typo? I am considering swapping a 1998? 5.0 and automatic into my 1931 hotrod. Any more input greatly appreciated. Will I need to use the fuel tank? Will I need a speed sensor rearend? can I override any of the sensors and just use the EFI stand alone? Do you know anyone who has done or does this regularly? My email is tilthe2ndcoming @ gmail dot com if you want to contact me directly.
Thanks again
tilthe2ndcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #18
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhamblin View Post
If you go ahead with this plan I would recommend you buy the donor car and have it in the next bay. Saves a lot of money and time.
Good luck.
Bruce