Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Hershey theft

this was posted on the AACA forum::::

*STOLEN On Friday at 3:00 Chocolate field as we were covering up for the storm a man walked off with a binder of 200+ Model T & Model A titles. A police report was filed with the Derry Township Police Dept. with the mans description.This was a 46 year collection of Model T & Model A titles. I have a complete list on the computer of all of them. Any HELP or information on these would be truly greatful. A REWARD is also be offered. If anyone finds one or a group of Model T & Model A titles please let me know or the Derry Township Police Dept., They could be one of the stolen ones & you could be buying stolen property. He can also return them all & I will drop the charges. I have been a lifetime AACA member since I was a teenager & never meet a bad person til now. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: Hershey theft

Maybe it will turn out he was just trying to help keep it dry and it will be returned. Lets hope so.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
SSsssteamer

The last model A title that I had bought cost me over $200. That means that if the car titles are all good titles, that he walked off with over $4,000. in car titles. So sad. I also learned in retail, whenever someone asks you for the best price, if he doesn't confirm to buy, make sure that he doesn't pocket the merchandise. I have had that happen to me many times through the years.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
henry's 31

I am hoping this is not a real antique car person. You very seldom see something like this happen in our hobby, but you can always find a bad apple. Lets keep our eyes open on ebay etc to make sure this person is found. I am so sorry this happened to someone that is always helping others.

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
spdway1

My buddy Tom had his Model T for sale in the Car Corral and when he went Thursday morning to clean the car up, the radiator cap ha been stolen. He did sell the car on Saturday without the cap!!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Thumbs down Re: Hershey theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
The last model A title that I had bought cost me over $200. That means that if the car titles are all good titles, that he walked off with over $4,000. in car titles. So sad. I also learned in retail, whenever someone asks you for the best price, if he doesn't confirm to buy, make sure that he doesn't pocket the merchandise. I have had that happen to me many times through the years.
i think your off by a few dollars... he had over 200 titles ,, @ 200.00 each thats 40k , but i see titles going for 5-600 each.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Tinker

I hate thieves. Hoping for the best here.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
RonC

Post the list
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #9
daveymc29

I hate this to have happened. A few years back some gentleman in Canada asked about a T handle I had for a deluxe Delivery. I had two and had paid 125 dollars for one of them so I told him I needed $125. That morning I got an email telling me he had just posted the $125 American. I sent the handle that afternoon and two days later both of us were happy, he had his part and I had his payment. That's how it should work, guess I'll have to watch my back from here on out.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

I wonder if the Police would be "suspicious" of the man that had "collected" over 200 car titles?????-------------------
Bill W.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
My buddy Tom had his Model T for sale in the Car Corral and when he went Thursday morning to clean the car up, the radiator cap ha been stolen. He did sell the car on Saturday without the cap!!
It's unfortunate that my mint cap stays home and I drive around with an old beat up radiator cap. I've also had the gear shift knob stolen from my Corvair Spyder. Actually I've had a lot of stuff stolen over the years.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:47 AM   #12
Bob-A

Thumbs down Re: Hershey theft

I will not drive and leave either one of my A's parked and unattended. For any length time in an unfamilliar area. I hate to think what would happen to the person I catch trying to steal something off of a car of mine! I'd probably be the one who went to jail..........

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
Chuck Kuntz

Worst theft I ever had a Hershey was about 10 years ago in the White Field. I had about 20 NOS 1930's Ford door and ignition lock cylinders with keys. Someone stole all the keys and left the locks. Same fellow that had been handling them came back shortly thereafter and said he would give me $5 ea. for them. Funny, he never ask where the keys were. He was a fellow dealer and I saw him again this year in the Green Field.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
Redbird

Has anyone thought about setting up a camera around or near your car. It would be great to catch the sob that day.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #15
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Is it legal to buy a title from someone or used for shady purposes hence the reason Ford Barn does not allow such advertisements for them?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #16
gz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I wonder if the Police would be "suspicious" of the man that had "collected" over 200 car titles?????-------------------
Bill W.
Doesn't everyone have over 200 open titles for cars they don't own????!!!!!!!

"Is it legal to buy a title from someone or used for shady purposes hence the reason Ford Barn does not allow such advertisements for them?"

I do not believe this is legal in any of the 50 states which is exactly why the Ford Barn, HAMB and other automotive websites prohibit the sale of titles.

I think we are all smart enough to know that very, very,very few people buy titles for "historical collecting purposes only." If we know this, I think it is safe to assume the police and other authorities know this as well. I would also think that by reporting this theft to the police, the vendor-and potentially anyone he sold a title to- could be subject to serious investigation by authorities.

Last edited by gz; 10-14-2015 at 11:12 AM.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
Mark W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz View Post
I do not believe this is legal in any of the 50 states which is exactly why the Ford Barn, HAMB and other automotive websites prohibit the sale of titles.
And what is the best way to advertise these titles on sites that don't allow them???

KEEPING THIS THREAD ALIVE...

I'm sad to hear of any dishonesty within this hobby, but this thread is no more than free advertising IMHO.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
ronn

Bill W.
___

nothing at all illegal about collecting car titles-just like collecting stamps or baseball cards

It is what you do or dont do with them that can make them illegal.

it is legal to collect knives, but if you murder people with them, then that is obviously illegal................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
woodiewagon46

On friday morning my wife and I overheard a vendor telling someone that when he uncovered one of his tables that morning, most of the parts he was displaying for sale were gone. Whats going on with our hobby?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
CarlG

Night shift sold them?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote