Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #21
updraught

Default Re: I have a question

Don't think I've ever seen an episode, but it looks like they packed 'em in.
Must be a days outing to collect a Mac's parcel.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #22
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
If you had collected WW1 and WW2 uniforms and militaria like I did for many years, you would have soon noticed how small men were then-the vast majority of uniforms that were actually worn seem to be size 36 and 38-anything larger than a size 42 is rare. Size 42 was also the largest US government-made off-the-rack uniform coat during the Civil War (they came in four sizes).
I concur and it doesn't matter what country you collect either, it was a tiny world back then.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #23
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post

Don't think I've ever seen an episode, but it looks like they packed 'em in.
Must be a days outing to collect a Mac's parcel.

We had the Waltons, today Millennials have the Kardashians. That says a lot and explains things too!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #24
kenparker

I was sub teaching in a Junior High School wood shop one day - 15 years ago - and we were "reviewing" the wood in my 28 pickup. One of the kids ask "how may can fit in this cab". I answered " I don't know" That was the wrong answer for a bunch of curious junior High kids. Within minutes there were 14 kids in that cab, thru the windows and with heads sticking out under the windshield. It was funny. Yes, the count is right, 14. Damage to the truck. None. That is still one of my precious "teaching moments".
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #25
ericr

aha, the old-timers had a song about this:

https://youtu.be/NbrMS6ZH1A8
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Friend had a TIFF with his Wife & slept in the back of his Tudor. She had a TERRIBLE time, EXRTICATING him from his cave!!! He GROANED for nigh on to a WEEK!
Bill W.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #27
1928Pickuppain

It's a misconception people were shorter the belief started due to small door ways and small ceiling highta but the reality was they were used to conserve heat energy from unificent fireplaces I believe the average male night in 1700 was 5'8. Nepolain was really 5'5 my fathers 5"4 and it's 2017 so yea significant height differences over the century's no very little. Btw I've I'm 6" 260 and I've driven three people in my Roadster pickup plenty of times. Sucks but you do what you have to.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #28
1928Pickuppain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
If you had collected WW1 and WW2 uniforms and militaria like I did for many years, you would have soon noticed how small men were then-the vast majority of uniforms that were actually worn seem to be size 36 and 38-anything larger than a size 42 is rare. Size 42 was also the largest US government-made off-the-rack uniform coat during the Civil War (they came in four sizes).
What you have to rember about this was most soldgers are just 18 year old kids and men don't truly stop growing till around 22 and even then there are changes my gandfarther would never fit into his uniform now his shoulders are too broad and he is to tall and he's 92
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #29
Scottio57

I have heard couples talk about having fun in the rumble seat. Now that I have a car with a rumble seat I know there is no way. I'm 6'2 and 200 lbs. and I have to set in that seat a little sideways. There is just enough room for two and no extra room for fooling around. They must have been way smaller or a lot more creative in those days.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #30
ursus

It is notable that the most common complaints posted by newcomers to the Model A hobby seem to concern such issues as the lack of leg room, difficulty entering and exiting the car, or how to move the seat back to where one can drive without the steering wheel rubbing their belly.

The standard height and weight charts in use for many years were developed based on data from 1916. Human nutritional status has improved over the past 50 years, so the charts have been revised upward to account for greater height. Nevertheless, most of us are still regarded as overweight. Look at any group photo of people from before 1950 - see any fat people?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #31
MikeK

I think this whole thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction. Seating is an across affair, not a question of up and down. Height has nothing to do with it. It is more about how wide you are.

What was the average waist size in 1928 vs today? Does today's adult really have that much more waist, or is it just more 'waste'? BMI comparison anybody?

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #32
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
It is notable that the most common complaints posted by newcomers to the Model A hobby seem to concern such issues as the lack of leg room, difficulty entering and exiting the car, or how to move the seat back to where one can drive without the steering wheel rubbing their belly.

The standard height and weight charts in use for many years were developed based on data from 1916. Human nutritional status has improved over the past 50 years, so the charts have been revised upward to account for greater height. Nevertheless, most of us are still regarded as overweight. Look at any group photo of people from before 1950 - see any fat people?
interesting....as was alluded to indirectly in a previous comment, don't wars lead to gathering of statistics like this?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #33
Dick Steinkamp

Here is another illustration of Mike's video...

http://voxeu.org/article/100-years-us-obesity
Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
jeep44

This is a common complaint of new owners of WW2 and early civilian Jeeps,also. The seats are not adjustable, and the steering wheel is close to the seat. Guys end up selling a vehicle they really wanted before they found out it was just too uncomfortable for them.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #35
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
interesting....as was alluded to indirectly in a previous comment, don't wars lead to gathering of statistics like this?
It was actually the life insurance industry that took an interest in the relationship between height and weight as determinants of mortality risk. This started at a time when obesity was rare and the focus was on underweight conditions that more closely correlated with disease and early mortality.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #36
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
It's a misconception people were shorter the belief started due to small door ways and small ceiling highta but the reality was they were used to conserve heat energy from unificent fireplaces I believe the average male night in 1700 was 5'8. Nepolain was really 5'5 my fathers 5"4 and it's 2017 so yea significant height differences over the century's no very little. Btw I've I'm 6" 260 and I've driven three people in my Roadster pickup plenty of times. Sucks but you do what you have to.
Cindy, my Daughter, bought a NEW house ALL the doors are 8 Ft & ALL the ceilings are 8Ft 10 Inches & WIDE halls! (Come in, FATTY!)---(BONK!)---Call 911--
Bill Skinny
Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #37
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

My mother use to tell me when I got my Model A in 1963 that they put up to 4 people in a coupe and had room. Just a story from the past. All Girls
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #38
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj's junkers View Post
My mother use to tell me when I got my Model A in 1963 that they put up to 4 people in a coupe and had room. Just a story from the past. All Girls
I can almost hear them giggling as they start off to whatever mischief they were up to.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #39
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

They were chasing boys. One of the girls would hang out the passenger window and beat on the door to get their attention.
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
triumphleroy

I remember as a boy at 5 years old having to stand up in the floorboard of Dads 28 Sport Coupe and him cautioning me not to get on the gearshift lever son. Mom was on the passenger side with my baby brother in her arms. My dad never weighed over 130 lbs, my mom was about the same back then. I stood holding on to the dash rail with my nose pressed against the windshield for many a mile.....
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote