Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
29pickup

Question Horn tests

Hello, this is my first post, so bear with me!
I recently purchased a 29 closed cab pickup. I have wanted a classic pickup for years and finally found one for sale. Bought it from my neighbors across the street from my home.(go figure).
I have been working on mostly electrical parts (Headlights, break light switch ect) And Im finding that the ground and contact points are fixing my problems. My horn does not work and whould like to know what tests I can run on the horn system to see if it is in working order before I take it apart.
(Which lead shoud be hot? If horn botton is working ect.) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
29pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
jb_supermoto

Default Re: Horn tests

I'm pretty new at this as well, but look at your ammeter while you push the horn button. If the needle moves to discharge slightly when you push the button, then the button and the wires to the horn are likely ok. There is current draw, but the horn may not be turning. Pull the back cover off the horn and have a look. It gets pretty obvious when you take the cover off. It's only one screw.. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would remove the horn cover and unplug one wire and ground the horn terminal. If you don't get the horn to blow, or at least a spark, then plug the wire back in and remove the other wire and ground that terminal, and try it again. If you have a volt meter it's easy to test which wire is hot. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal. The ground terminal leads to the horn button, and quite often the horn button doesn't make a good ground due to years of corrosion from not being used. I push the button down and roll it around as it's pushed, and sometimes this will get the horn blowing again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
29pickup

Thanks guys, I got it working earlier, I cleaned the contact at the bottom of the horn rod. I cleaned the other contacts last week, but overlooked the bottom fo the horn rod.
All I have left is to lube of the truck, inspect brakes, and im on the road.
This is fun!!!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Yo, Okie Brother, fun hasn't started 'til you drive It! Go out in the rain, find a backroad with mud holes & bumps & ruts, etc, don't be scared of that dude, it'll bring you home in great style. Report back on this thread of your "ESCAPADES"! Bill W. & The Dog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MUDDY.jpg (86.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg MUD.jpg (221.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
c125bob

I'm pretty new to the hobby as well. Bill and the Dog are right, the fun starts when you drive it. Seems like most people are nervous about taking off in the A when they first get one. I know I was ! As you drive it you will see that you can trust them if you do the basic care and feeding. Get out and enjoy !!!! Oh, and don't follow Bill if you meet up with him on the road or off the road !
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Model A Wiring Diagram in case you don't have one.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
eagle

I "test" my horn often... As I'm driving along I sometimes randomly blow it, wait a few minutes, then blow it again. Usually the passenger with me will not say anything the first time, but by the second or third time will ask what thats all about. I tell them I'm testing my horn, I have to keep checking it because who knows, it may have just quit and I wouldn't know it until I needed it. Yeah, I get strange looks... Kind of like leaving a clock stopped in the house and then when asked why I always look at the stopped clock to see what time it is, I say "Haven't you heard? A stopped clock is the most accurate, twice a day it is EXACTLY right". The nice thing about being thought "excentric" is you can get away with just about anything and no one gives it another thought.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Phil

Have you got with the Sooner Model A Club yet? Good active group and very helpful. Pm me and I will give you more info.Phil
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by c125bob View Post
I'm pretty new to the hobby as well. Bill and the Dog are right, the fun starts when you drive it. Seems like most people are nervous about taking off in the A when they first get one. I know I was ! As you drive it you will see that you can trust them if you do the basic care and feeding. Get out and enjoy !!!! Oh, and don't follow Bill if you meet up with him on the road or off the road !
Yo, Bobaroonie, you ain't seen me & the Pooch drivin'??? Is somebody spreadin' RUMORS about my DRIVIN"? Well! they're probably all TRUE! Chief taught me the FINE ART of muddy road drivin'!! He was a master at it, NEVER got us stuck that I remember. With 7:00 X 16's, half defated, we would cruise all over on the expansive sand bars along Red River in Southeast Oklahoma, great fun! Then we would cross the river on an old rickedy ferry & ROAR around East Texas, lookin' up some of his old buddies! Those WERE the good old days. Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COWS.jpg (198.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-14-2013 at 05:07 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Elcastor

Bill, That last picture looks like Mexico today!!! (only the cars are usually newer but not in that good of shape!)
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
29pickup

Thanks for the drawing. I only see two wires coming off my gen. One goes into the harness. The other goes up to the fire wall?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29pickup View Post
Thanks for the drawing. I only see two wires coming off my gen. One goes into the harness. The other goes up to the fire wall?
The one going to the harness is going into the light harness and supplies power to the horn and lights. The other one goes to the terminal box, through the ammeter, back to the other stud in the terminal box, then down to the starter switch and back to the battery.

If you ever think the ammeter is bad you can just bypass it by jumping the two wingnuts on the terminal box cover.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote