Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default The Incredible "LEAK-LESS" Model A Ford automobile

Remember an ancient issue of Mad Magazine where this cartoon section depicted exhibits at some fictional nutty Smithsonian type museum. One panel showed a big greasy looking object consisting of two bread slices with a fat blob of disgusting substance in between. This thing was suspended on a wire from a place above and unseen. A few feet beneath the dripping object was what appeared to be an automotive oil drain pan which looked to be nearly filled.

Title below the picture read - "The PERPETUALLY LEAKING SANDWICH"

Now we arrive at another marvel which perhaps can also NOT be explained. The 1931 Ford Model A currently owned does not leak, seep, weep or drip any fluids. That's right - NO LEAKING! We even crawled around under that car with a creeper and flashlight finding everything to be bone dry. As it is, when the vehicle is pulled into the garage, I don't even bother to open the hood and shut off the gasoline tank to carburetor valve. Yes . . . that's how arrogant this LEAK-LESS Model A Ford has made me.

Have owned a half dozen operating Model A Fords over the decades and every one of those cars leaked everything all over the place. It was expected as the A Models were simply marking their territory.

Do know that the previous owner went through this car mechanically soup to nuts. Everything underneath looks as new. Have three other old vehicles, and every one of those things expels fluids in copious amounts whereever parked.

Surely other people must have cars that are LEAK-LESS? Somehow though, I feel deprived and truly miss the pungent aroma of stale motor oil and telltale stench of raw gasoline.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 04-16-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: The Incredible "LEAK-LESS" Model A Ford automobile

Mine was leakless until about 3 years ago the rear end started leaking about a cup over the winter.
And, the bolts are all tight.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
Dollar Bill

Be patient, the leaks will come
Old 04-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
aermotor

I got mine leakless, no problem - then I started adding all the fluids.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Remember the old saying. If it ain't leaken, sompen needs fillen.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #6
BillLee/Chandler, TX

James Rogers claimed a leakless car until he found a cup of oil on the ground underneath when at a Brent Terry workshop!

(Put there in jest by Ken Parker as I recall! :-) )
Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
P.S.

My Tudor is leak-free. The Fordor is not, but it barely leaks anything, so it is nearly so. Have epoxy coated shop floor, so drips simply wipe up with a rag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160221_100746148_HDR.jpg (55.1 KB, 48 views)
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
SeaSlugs

my AA chassis only leaked because I forgot to completely tighten the dual high drain plug... that 600W and stp mix sure is a sticky mess haha.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Fullraceflathead

If you have a Model A that doesn't leak a drop, you may want to check all of your fluid levels!

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Art Newland

Capt, sorry you are not getting the full Model A experience!

What you need my friend... the the drip-o-matic 5000.

Tired of sitting around with you Model A buddies not being able to join in the conversations of subjects like "is there a pump that catches the drips and puts it back in the crankcase?" or "should I buy stock in ARCO and BP?"

The drip-o-matic 5000 can get you speaking to your friends again! Guaranteed to make a mess on your newly poured driveway or your money back! Even works with John Deer Cornhead Grease! Call BR-549
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil-can-dripping-oil-G35KKC.jpg (35.4 KB, 35 views)
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

When Larry brought Sarah back this Spring, by four days later there wasn't any oil leak anywhere, on the fifth day, bingo!!!!! had a drop. I called him and told him that this was totally unacceptable. His answer was, give it time, more oil will leak out. I said that's fine, I'll wait. He was right....I have four drops now on the oil tray. All is A-OK now!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

In two separate phone conversations this morning, folks have brought up a discussion about did I see this thread topic and asked my opinion. I was going to stay out of it, but since I saw my name mentioned above, I'll get involved with my 2 cents...

So in reality, what is leaking and why? Back in the day, the weak-link IMO would have been a cork gasket however with modern gaskets and sealants, should this really still be a problem?

Take the rear differential for example, if the flanges on the axle housing are trued in a lathe, this really helps cut down on leakage. There are many thread sealants on the market to use on the axle housing to diff housing bolts. Add a little sealant to the drain plug and leaks in the center should be non-existent. With regard to the torque tube, a small bead of sealer on the flanges that have been true will pay dividends there too. Use a quality gasket on the speedometer cable adapter along with a thin film of sealer on the gasket and the fasteners, and you should be good. If the bell end of the torque tube is deburred and polished on both the outside and inside, this really helps too. Most people do not install the gaskets correctly here either.

Next is the transmission. Sealed bearings have come a long way towards keeping the trans lube in place, and now with O-ringed aftermarket shafts, and/or the Mitchell O-ring kit will help. Using the correct viscosity lube in the transmission along with making sure the vent is not plugged helps the lube inside too. Also, sealant on the retainer gaskets and bolt/drain threads will help.

I think most engine leaks come from junk gaskets and over-tightening fasteners. Proper rear crank journal to bearing clearance, good pan & side-plate gaskets, along with ensuring both the pan & the plate is flat helps keep the oil in and no drips.

So now we have leakless water pumps and leakless gas valves to cure those problem areas, ...along with steering gear boxes that have aftermarket tubes for the bottom, O-rings for the sector shaft, and if someone takes the time to fit the sector housing to the gear box housing, by the time the correctly styled & fitted sector bushings are used, there is no reason why any of these three things should leak.

The only other two things I can think of would be radiators & shocks, and surely those are cured in the aftermarket. So, what else can possibly leak besides vacuum, the roof, and electrical??

I personally see no reason why a 'restored' car should leak fluids. Am I missing something??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Fluids? Fluids? I dunt gut to check no stinkin Fluids!

Actually, checking fluids with inspection of the material has been an almost religious thing with me since destroying the original 21 stud V8 flathead engine in a 34' Ford Deluxe. That was way back in 1973. Quickie weak eye ball oil dip sticking failed then to discern the water which seeped in from a cracked head gasket. Result was a bent and busted rod that ruined the engine block. The only upside was that we popped in a 48' Mercury 24 stud V8 making that 34' sedan very much quicker than anything Bonnie & Clyde ever stole and drove back in the thirties.

Should have kept that car . . . sigh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34V8bob1.jpg (71.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 04-18-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #14
Synchro909

I'm currently in NZ where we borrowed a car for their National Model A Rally. The guy I borrowed it from has 5 Model As and he claims NONE of them leak. I was sceptical so I sneak a peek looking for a leak (Dr Zeuss, eat your heart out!). I have to accept his claim. I saw no oil on the floor of his workshop. If he needs any, I have plenty on the floor of mine!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I'm currently in NZ where we borrowed a car for their National Model A Rally. The guy I borrowed it from has 5 Model As and he claims NONE of them leak. I was sceptical so I sneak a peek looking for a leak (Dr Zeuss, eat your heart out!). I have to accept his claim. I saw no oil on the floor of his workshop. If he needs any, I have plenty on the floor of mine!
You're pulling our legs, right??? Everybody knows here, that everything down under is backwards, everything goes in the opposite direction, so by that, leaks should be going up, not down!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote