Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default ~ Who owns the highest VIN number 1932 built Model A Ford?

Since acquiring a late 1931 Ford sedan, have been seeking out specific information as to the highest VIN / engine serial numbered Model A Ford built and still in existence.

As it turns out, from various sources arrives specific information showing the End of "final" 1931 Model A Ford "assembly" to have happened in March of 1932 with a total of 4,858,644 units built. Assorted info has it that the main River Rouge plant in fact closed down regular vehicle production starting in September 1931.

Since motor numbers were used for the Model A Ford identification, does that final production number, "if correct", represent completed vehicles or just engines? Also, Ford factories outside of the United States used other dedicated serial number series so that 4,858,644. "if valid", would include those Model A vehicles too?

The "post production" year 1932 assembled 1931 Model A Fords have not to my knowledge been defined. Happened to bump into an old 1970s era documentary about the Great Depression on YouTube. The first episode is entitled "A Job at Ford". There are interviews with people who worked at the River Rouge plant in 1931. Those former employees stated that thousands of assembly production workers were "released" during late summer by Ford Motor Company. Soon after, groups of fired workers returned to the Rouge in protest with episodes of violence erupting there. Though out fall of 1931 some workers were retained for the changeover work on the new 1932 Ford car. During that period, to all information, there was no Model A vehicle production. It is likely that as soon as facilities were ready in late 1931, the new 1932 Model B and V8 cars were coming down the production line.

It is known that starting sometime in January 1932 "assembly" of Model A Ford vehicles started up again. Figured is that those cars were put together from left-over 1931 Model A components.

So, one question is . . . how many 1931 Model A Ford cars were built in that separate year 1932 period?

Our 1931 edition Tudor sedan left the Ford factory as a Deluxe model.

That VIN / engine number is: A48209xx. Was this one put together in 1932?

There has to be higher numbers out there than our car. . .

Last question . . . who owns the "latest" 1932 built "genuine" Ford Model A vehicle that's still in existence?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: ~ Who owns the highest VIN number 1932 built Model A Ford?

[QUOTE=Capt Quahog;1480846]Since acquiring a late 1931 Ford sedan, have been seeking out specific information as to the highest VIN / engine serial numbered Model A Ford built and still in existence.

As it turns out, from various sources arrives specific information showing the End of "final" 1931 Model A Ford "assembly" to have happened in March of 1932 with a total of 4,858,644 units built. Assorted info has it that the main River Rouge plant in fact closed down regular vehicle production starting in September 1931. It was November 1931 for The Rouge for passenger cars...February 1932 for Commercial vehicles.

Since motor numbers were used for the Model A Ford identification, does that final production number, "if correct", represent completed vehicles or just engines? More than likely engine numbers. Also, Ford factories outside of the United States used other dedicated serial number series so that 4,858,644. "if valid", would include those Model A vehicles too? Only Canada used another "dedicated serial numbers"...all others used the USA documented list of numbers including the foreign plants and England.

The "post production" year 1932 assembled 1931 Model A Fords have not to my knowledge been defined. Happened to bump into an old 1970s era documentary about the Great Depression on YouTube. The first episode is entitled "A Job at Ford". There are interviews with people who worked at the River Rouge plant in 1931. Those former employees stated that thousands of assembly production workers were "released" during late summer by Ford Motor Company. Soon after, groups of fired workers returned to the Rouge in protest with episodes of violence erupting there. Though out fall of 1931 some workers were retained for the changeover work on the new 1932 Ford car. During that period, to all information, there was no Model A vehicle production. It is likely that as soon as facilities were ready in late 1931, the new 1932 Model B and V8 cars were coming down the production line.

It is known that starting sometime in January 1932 "assembly" of Model A Ford vehicles started up again. Figured is that those cars were put together from left-over 1931 Model A components. I believe you are correct on that thought.

So, one question is . . . how many 1931 Model A Ford cars were built in that separate year 1932 period?

Domestic (USA) production: 45..Edgewater was the last USA plant to end post era production with two (2) Deluxe Roadsters in April 1932.

Foreign production: 4923...Santiago was last foreign plant to end post era production with eight (8) Standard Phaetons in November 1932.

Canada Production: 1482...The last of the Canadian production were twelve (12) Standard Phaetons; three (3) Standard Roadsters; nine (9) Standard Coupes; seven (7) Deluxe Coupes; two (2) Victoria’s; twenty-six (26) Standard Tudors; twenty-two (22) Town Sedans; and seven (7) Cabriolets in April 1932.

Our 1931 edition Tudor sedan left the Ford factory as a Deluxe model.

That VIN / engine number is: A48209xx. Was this one put together in 1932? That is a September 29, 1931 engine...50/50 on that one.

There has to be higher numbers out there than our car. . .

Last question . . . who owns the "latest" 1932 built "genuine" Ford Model A vehicle that's still in existence? Great question.[/QUOTE]

Part 1 on Passenger Car production coming out soon followed by Part 2 Commercial Vehicle production followed by Part 3 AA Truck production.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
jimalabam

Great answers Pluck...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

A fellow in my club had what he believed was an early '32 Deluxe Delivery. He didn't talk just to hear himself, so I'm guessing some research went into that statement.
I know where the vehicle ended up, and will try to get an engine number.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Thanks for the information Pluck!

There was some guy on eBay last year offering a "barn find" wreck of a Model A Ford pickup truck that he advertised as being built in 1932. No VIN number was provided. Aside from that. I've not seen any other references to very late assembled A Model Fords.

So . . . is the number for total Model A Ford production of 4,858,644 historically valid?

The engine number in our 31' Tudor A48209xx, was figured to have been produced sometime around October of 1931. During that great transitional period, what might the lead time for a completed engine be to catch up with vehicle production? To my understanding, in normal times, that period was a month or more, give or take. Most likely, by late 1931, the engine/VIN numbers were in very random mode.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Thanks for the information Pluck!

There was some guy on eBay last year offering a "barn find" wreck of a Model A Ford pickup truck that he advertised as being built in 1932. No VIN number was provided. Aside from that. I've not seen any other references to very late assembled A Model Fords.

So . . . is the number for total Model A Ford production of 4,858,644 historically valid? Not quite sure yet...

The engine number in our 31' Tudor A48209xx, was figured to have been produced sometime around October of 1931. During that great transitional period, what might the lead time for a completed engine be to catch up with vehicle production? To my understanding, in normal times, that period was a month or more, give or take. Most likely, by late 1931, the engine/VIN numbers were in very random mode.
It is known that starting sometime in January 1932 "assembly" of Model A Ford vehicles started up again. Figured is that those cars were put together from left-over 1931 Model A components. I believe you are correct on that thought. This may be the wrong answer...the one who really thinks he knows won't elaborate on the subject except that those who think this was the case: "Also, Ford did not produce vehicles from any ‘leftover’ parts.
That is a complete lack of understanding how the Ford production system was organized and was operated, and it is one of the wives tales often printed that makes me cringe. Statements like that have no credibility".

Pluck/Pluck/???????
Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Capt Quahog

Quote:
"Also, Ford did not produce vehicles from any ‘leftover’ parts.
That is a complete lack of understanding how the Ford production system was organized and was operated, and it is one of the wives tales often printed that makes me cringe. Statements like that have no credibility".
Okay . . . we already know what we don't know. What is known is that Ford "STOPPED" production of Model A vehicles at the River Rouge sometime in late 1931. Information garnered from various supposedly reliable sources over these past decades states that actual A Model regular assembly ceased sometime from September through December of 1931. Somehow, by probably using "components on hand", (disregard the term "left-over") assembly was resumed in a limited way again in early 1932. Since the all new 1932 Model B and V8 Ford was ready to hit the assembly line, along with Great Depression related factors, it would be reasonable to "assume" that Model A vehicle production was NOT humming along as usual during the later 1931 period.

If somebody has verifiable detailed information relevant to late 1931 - early 1932 Model A Ford production, then perhaps a solid narrative can be prepared and shared with the rest of we uninformed infidels.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
jimalabam

Capt Quahog - Pluck knows that my research along with others reflects that "Left Over Parts" were sent to the Branch Offices, then to territorial dealerships to be used as service parts... The problem in researching what you seek is that although there have been many sources over the years, some have "facts" which are found to be inaccurate and invalidate previous information. This research is ongoing and there most probably will always be questions without definitive answers. Yep, my 2 Cents...
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Okay . . . we already know what we don't know. What is known is that Ford "STOPPED" production of Model A vehicles at the River Rouge sometime in late 1931. Information garnered from various supposedly reliable sources over these past decades states that actual A Model regular assembly ceased sometime from September through December of 1931. Somehow, by probably using "components on hand", (disregard the term "left-over") assembly was resumed in a limited way again in early 1932. Since the all new 1932 Model B and V8 Ford was ready to hit the assembly line, along with Great Depression related factors, it would be reasonable to "assume" that Model A vehicle production was NOT humming along as usual during the later 1931 period.

If somebody has verifiable detailed information relevant to late 1931 - early 1932 Model A Ford production, then perhaps a solid narrative can be prepared and shared with the rest of we uninformed infidels.
The following is for Model A Domestic (USA) passenger cars only...it does not include the Commercial "A" production nor does it include "AA" Truck production and it does not include the Foreign, English or Canadian production. I am saving that for an article in Model A News for the "rest of the story"!

In September 1931 all Ford domestic assembly plants were still assembling cars.

In October 1931 Des Moines, Pittsburgh and Seattle stopped production.

In November Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dearborn, Denver, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Omaha, Portland, Richmond, Somerville, and Twin City stopped production.

In December Atlanta, Charlotte, Chester, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Long Beach, Louisville, Memphis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Norfolk, and Oklahoma City stopped production.

January 1932 St. Louis stopped production.

In April 1932 the Edgewater plant stopped production. That was the last of the domestic (USA) assembling of the Model A Ford.

However it continued through November 1932 at various Foreign assembly plants.

You are just going to have to wait for "The Rest of The Story"!

Pluck
Old 06-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

My guess is "left over parts" would have been placed with dealers as replacement parts. Again just my guess.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
RonC

I have a frame with a feb or march 1932 serial number. The frame has a factory mounted left fender spare carrier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.jpg (42.4 KB, 138 views)
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
Steve Wastler

Let's remember the US Post office Department made Ford resume production of the A and AA mail trucks after regular production had ceased in late 31. Ford had not met its contractual agreement for a portion of the first and second 31 procurements. Henry argued the production had ended and wanted to supply the remaining chassis' based on the new 32 design. Since the body manufacturers were well into fulfilling their part of the contract with A and Aa designed bodies, US POD wouldn't let ol Henry off the hook. Last I heard, and this was written up in the restorer, Bob Hitchcock in Texas had one of the highest known 31 serial numbers produced and is an AA mail truck.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
dean from bozeman

Ron C, what is the number on your frame? It is difficult for me to read. Thanks.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Railcarmover
BANNED

Ford production method of vertical integration negates the assembly of left over parts..although he never achieved true vertical integration (where Ford produced or controlled every process from raw materials to finished products) the use of 'left over parts' ran against this production model..view it as the 'just in time' processes of today. you dont just cobble together what left over when the line stops,you farm the pieces out to repair parts. Whats interesting is during his daily plant 'walks' Ford would stop a process for cleaning if it didn't meet his standards..no matter what production demands there were.. stop the line of the worlds largest industrial complex,grind the whole thing to a halt..so a crew can mop the floors..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Ron C, what is the number on your frame? It is difficult for me to read. Thanks.
It's a seven digit number. I can't make out all the numbers but it's 4844?18. What's interesting is it's the last style frame stamped with early style number stamps. I guess not all assembly people cared to toss their old style stamps away

Last edited by RonC; 06-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
RawhideKid
BANNED

That sure looks like 4844318 to me, but what do I know.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
My guess is "left over parts" would have been placed with dealers as replacement parts. Again just my guess.
The trouble with "guesses" is that someone will repeat it as fact and soon we have another "Model A Myth" running rampant! There are too many as it is!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
jimalabam

I am sending up a BIGGG Cheer for you 40 Deluxe. YOU ARE SO RIGHT...
Old 06-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #19
Capt Quahog

So let me get this right. It is now a violation of some arbitrary vintage automobile info edicate to speculate and discuss tentative scenarios that may have taken place 86 years ago? A guess is not a statement of fact but an unvalided casual spectulation.

Nothing is absolute with all history subject to revisement. If some know nothing wants to snag a random guess and run with it as FACT, then that is beyond anyone,s control.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 06-07-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #20
jimalabam

You hit it. Speculation is what it is. NOT FACT. Guessing produces nothing but confusion. In 40+ years of researching not only the Ford Motor Company, but specifically ALL Assembly Plants 1903-2017, I find info is worth nothing unless "Found Info", no matter the source, can be confirmed. NUFF SAID. Have a nice day. Jim Langley...