Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
cobra5laddict

Default More banjo questions for the gurus

I’m on the home stretch of my banjo rebuild and everything is going together very well and smooth.

My backlash is set and I have my gasket combination figured out. When I pull things back apart to apply some Indian head to the gaskets / housings how much will the sealant effect my tolerances? Can I expect it to add .001-.002” to the entire gasket combo?

Just curious because this is my first and it just feels a tad tight turning the pinion now that it’s all together. I did check the carrier preload on the bearings and came up with .032 total gasket thickness to split between the bells.

Right now my pinion is set to 16 inch pounds (it was surprising to me just how much drag that is).

Assembled dry with backlash set I calculate about 38inch pounds to turn the pinion and carrier. Does that seem too tight?

Just paranoia setting in? I mean I’m sure farmers rebuilt these things in the middle of corn fields!
cobra5laddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: More banjo questions for the gurus

You'll be right with a little bit of non hardening sealant [like permatex aviation] on the gaskets.

Put the pinion in a vice and spin the housing , its a fairly firm spin you need, you have to use a lot of 'feel' when doing it and you should get one turn of the housing, a small amount more is ok .
Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
cobra5laddict

FYI I’m working on a 1940 rear BTW
cobra5laddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
ford38v8

The preload is done in the cornfield as you suspect, by clamping the pinion in a bench vise and spinning the banjo. As Talkwrench also says, you should get one full turn only no matter how hard or fast you spin the banjo.

As for the gasket surface and sealants, I use none and get no leakage. Be sure to have knocked off any burrs from both surfaces first, and check condition of the gaskets for wear and tear from trial/error fitting. The banjo bolts are tight fit purposely, so do not clean up the threads. Do, however, use thread sealant, or they will leak oil.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Vonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra5laddict View Post
IÂ’m on the home stretch of my banjo rebuild and everything is going together very well and smooth.

My backlash is set and I have my gasket combination figured out. When I pull things back apart to apply some Indian head to the gaskets / housings how much will the sealant effect my tolerances? Can I expect it to add .001-.002” to the entire gasket combo?

Just curious because this is my first and it just feels a tad tight turning the pinion now that itÂ’s all together. I did check the carrier preload on the bearings and came up with .032 total gasket thickness to split between the bells.

Right now my pinion is set to 16 inch pounds (it was surprising to me just how much drag that is).

Assembled dry with backlash set I calculate about 38inch pounds to turn the pinion and carrier. Does that seem too tight?

Just paranoia setting in? I mean IÂ’m sure farmers rebuilt these things in the middle of corn fields!
I notice that no one answered the OP's question about the total bearing preload of 38 inch pounds. That's something I've never measured myself, but
wouldn't that be the pinion preload + carrier preload?

I don't think I've ever read anything about an inch pound calculation for the assembly as a whole.
Vonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
supereal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Most people have never seen the KRW inch pound tool. We used the "spin" technique as said above. The Ford rear axle is so tough, it takes a really big mistake to seriously affect
it, particularly with new bearings.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
PeteVS

I've done two banjos so far and one thing I seem to have found out is that if the gasket ID is tight on the lip of the axle housings, put a few alignment pins in the banjo and shellac the gasket(s) to the banjo housing. Once the shellac sets up, use a razor knife to trim the gasket ID to match that of the banjo ID. When you assemble the axle housings, you won't ruin the gaskets. (Maybe everyone else knows that or maybe I'm doing things wrong...)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Indian head should be good and it should not change any of your spec. don't over do it. 0.032 thick gaskets is a LOT usually around .008 on one side and about the same on the other. You don't split the gaskets evenly. The gaskets on the left control the ring and pinion mesh and the gaskets on the right control the carrier bearing. Make sure both of the carrier bearing races are installed all the way.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Indian head should be good and it should not change any of your spec. don't over do it. 0.032 thick gaskets is a LOT usually around .008 on one side and about the same on the other. You don't split the gaskets evenly. The gaskets on the left control the ring and pinion mesh and the gaskets on the right control the carrier bearing. Make sure both of the carrier bearing races are installed all the way.
Exactly right! There are two things that must be right (related to the side gaskets).

1) The amount of pre-load in the carrier assembly (side to side). This step determines the total amount of gasket thickness you need to have the proper preload on the bearings. This step is usually done without the pinion installed in the banjo/carrier housing.

2) Once you know the total thickness needed to correctly set this, then you need to work with the allocation of how much gasket goes on each side to setup the mesh. The TOTAL amount determined in step 1 is still used - but HOW much goes on each side is determined by the mesh. In this step, the pinion has already been installed in the housing, it's proper preload set and now you're trying to get the mesh pattern to be correct. You change the gasket allocation (how much) on the housing sides to get the right pattern. The gaskets used on each side (thickness) are usually not equal side to side.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Andy

I did not see any sealer on the gaskets on any rears I have torn down. I did not not use any. No leaks.
Are you using new or used bearings? I would not set used bearings to high numbers of torque resistance. I had a rear burnt up after the dealer set up the new rear gears with new bearing values.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
cas3

i dont use any gasket sealer either. clean surface, finger smear of oil on em and bolt em up. no leaks. i use a couple long bolts with the heads cut off for dowel pins to keep the gasket stack in place while putting the bells on and getting the other bolts started
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
Tinker

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...e-load.789443/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ebuild.462776/

Read and be informed or more...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote