Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
HS

Default Just purchased and New Berg Radiator Wow

I Just purchased and installed a New Berg Radiator. wow nice. Took for a test dive, It really runs cool. What cocktail/Radiator fluid, what would you recommend. I'm running Distilled water and NAPA 1300 Rust inhibitor for spring and Summer.

Thanks,
Hugh
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Just purchased and New Berg Radiator Wow

50% antifreeze always for me. I don't like rust and cracked blocks and heads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

50/50 all yr.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Dick Steinkamp

It depends upon where you live.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
mike657894

my car sat for 40 years with 50/50 green in it before I got it. block was completely clean in water jackets when I opened it up.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Most antifreeze coolants do not increase boiling points unless they are under pressure. Straight water has a greater surface tension so you receive better (-more efficient) heat transfer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
50% antifreeze always for me. I don't like rust and cracked blocks and heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
50/50 all yr.
X3. I run the Peak Brand with the green cap. Formulated for pre 1989 cars...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

As long as you do not run into; running hot, or have leaks, or over heating, antifreeze is a best way to prevent cooling system rust/corrosion/scaling.

If your system is marginal, distilled water/Napa 1300/Red Line Water Wetter.

It is a trade off
Water/Napa 1300/Red Line Water Wetter is a better coolant for cooling, but not as good for rust/corrosion/scaling, And you have to drain it during freezing temperatures and add antifreeze.

Antifreeze is better for rust/corrosion/scale prevention and you do not have to drain and replace it for freezing temps.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS View Post
I Just purchased and installed a New Berg Radiator. wow nice. Took for a test dive, It really runs cool. What cocktail/Radiator fluid, what would you recommend. I'm running Distilled water and NAPA 1300 Rust inhibitor for spring and Summer.

Thanks,
Hugh
28-29 style or 30-31 style?

I have had my round tube radiator from Bergs (at least that is what I was told it came from) since 1980 on my 1929 Standard Coupe and is still going strong.

I am sure you will have plenty of years with yours to.

I have always used 50/50 antifreeze also.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Nick in Fayetteville

I usually run 50/50 and get good results. However, when I run plain tap water, I add about a half cup of 30 weight motor oil to reduce rust problems. Works for me.
Nick in Fayetteville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
HS

OK so putting in 50/50 antifreeze is better for rust than distilled and Napa 1300 Anti-Rust ?

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 06-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Yes, use the older style green antifreeze.

If you can buy the concentrate, not the premixed. Mix concentrate with distilled water. If you compare the prices, less expensive to mix it yourself instead of buying premix. If you save an used up container or 2 you can mix it up and have it ready if you have to add a little. Handy on longer trips to have some premixed in case you need it. Just remember to mark the container with a sharpie 50/50 mix, so you do not forget it is premixed.

Even though antifreeze really does not go bad if it is clean, some of the additives/rust protection/effectiveness has a life span of about 2- 3 years. Personally I drain/back flush every year before putting her down for the yearly winter nap, put the old back in with additive reconditioner. Change with fresh antifreeze every 4 - 5 years.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #13
HS

30 closed cap PU

Good, thank you!!! , based on what ford barn says, I guess notI had thought that My distilled water and NAPA 1300 anti-rust was good, But now I guess not and I should be running 50/50 Water. Anti-Freeze!!

Thanks,
Hugh

Hugh
Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
Dick Steinkamp

Is there any data that shows the proper amount of a name brand anti-rust and distilled water is less effective in preventing rust than 50/50 water/antifreeze?

I realize that if you live where it might freeze that 50/50 should be the choice, but how about for those that live where there is no chance of freezing?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Is there any data that shows the proper amount of a name brand anti-rust and distilled water is less effective in preventing rust than 50/50 water/antifreeze?

I realize that if you live where it might freeze that 50/50 should be the choice, but how about for those that live where there is no chance of freezing?

Hi Dick,

Seems I've opened this debate again. A year or so ago I looked at all the info I could find, and concluded that antifreeze has better rust/scale prevention than distilled water/additives. I just spent an hour reviewing what I saved, but can not find the info I saw that absolutely supports my view - sorry.

My view is that if rust/scale prevention is high on your list in making a decision of what to use, antifreeze is best. Back flush yearly in the fall. Even though not data driven, there have been posts about when taking a head/water pump off on cars running antifreeze the interior/guts are spotless - no rust/scale.

I have seen this claim for antifreeze, but do not recall seeing this claim for cars running distilled water/additives.

If someone is more concerned about best cooling, distilled water/rust-scale inhibitor/Waterwetter would be the choice. If it was me running this I would probably do a treatment in the fall of dawn, then thermocure or rust 911, or evaporust every year or two. Also backflush thoroughly.

My views, if there is other conclusive information/data that disagrees, am open to changing my mind.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
john in illinois

I used water wetter and water pump lube. The result was a rusted block that had been clean.

If you read Water Weter Redline instructions,— Always use some antifreeze for street use.

John
Old 06-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

I believe both Water Wetter and Pump Lube are not rust/scale inhibitors, and why you should use Water Wetter with a rust inhibitor like napa 1300 with distilled water. I think I read somewhere that Waterwetter is best not used with certain antifreezes that contain silicates - it reacts over time and turns into a brown slime.

Check out the attachment.

Correct me if my understanding and info is incorrect..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cooling presentation - Rock Mountian A's.pdf (184.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks, 30CCPU. If you've seen the data then your word is good enough for me.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #19
updraught

Wikipedia on antifreeze:

"When ethylene glycol is used in a system, it may become oxidized to five organic acids (formic, oxalic, glycolic, glyoxalic and acetic acid). Inhibited ethylene glycol antifreeze mixes are available, with additives that buffer the pH and reserve alkalinity of the solution to prevent oxidation of ethylene glycol and formation of these acids. Nitrites, silicates, theodin, borates and azoles may also be used to prevent corrosive attack on metal"
"Propylene glycol is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. For example, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, salad dressings, and baked goods, and it is commonly used as the main ingredient in the "e-liquid" used in electronic cigarettes.
Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid.[9][10] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive,[citation needed] so pH buffering agents such as dipotassium phosphate and potassium bicarbonate are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components."

Antifreeze in ice cream. Yum.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Wikipedia on antifreeze:

"When ethylene glycol is used in a system, it may become oxidized to five organic acids (formic, oxalic, glycolic, glyoxalic and acetic acid). Inhibited ethylene glycol antifreeze mixes are available, with additives that buffer the pH and reserve alkalinity of the solution to prevent oxidation of ethylene glycol and formation of these acids. Nitrites, silicates, theodin, borates and azoles may also be used to prevent corrosive attack on metal"
"Propylene glycol is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. For example, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, salad dressings, and baked goods, and it is commonly used as the main ingredient in the "e-liquid" used in electronic cigarettes.
Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid.[9][10] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive,[citation needed] so pH buffering agents such as dipotassium phosphate and potassium bicarbonate are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components."

Antifreeze in ice cream. Yum.

This muddies things for me. Ethylene Glycol is the green stuff. The info uses "may" - under what conditions does this happen? If this is a problem, is it due to wearing out the additives over an extended period, does adding freshening additives to it correct these issues, etc?