Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #601
Jim Brierley

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

HELP!!! My '13 F-350 w/diesel power has the trouble light on, well mostly on but not always. The code comes from the transmission area and reads "redundant oil level". What the devil is that??? None of the machanics seem to know either. I chose to ignore it and after 3 years of this it still runs just fine. Now, if the A/C will just quit needing a re-charge every summer I'll be happy!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #602
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Jim,

Speaking of having to recharge the A/C every summer, my 2004 Toyota Highlander has the same problem; otherwise, it's been a great car and just now going over 300K miles.

The first time I had to do it was about five years after I bought it. The dealer said their policy was to test it in case there was a leak which they would repair. They could find no leaks but I had to pay $75 for the test!

The next summer I took it to Sears and asked to have it recharged. They said they were required to test it for leaks. I had it recharged and they found no leaks but they charged $50 for the test!

Since then I have gone to a local mechanic almost every year and told him to just recharge it. I told him the dealer couldn't find any leaks so he agreed to just recharge the system.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #603
katy

Quote:
"redundant oil level"
I would suspect that the oil level is too high in the tranny, causing the error code.
Is there a dipstick or other option for checking the oil level in that tranny?
My 2015 Jeep has no provision for checking the tranny fluid level. I guess "they" assume if'n it's not leaking it's still full.

Last edited by katy; 06-10-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Addition.
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #604
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Jim,

Since then I have gone to a local mechanic almost every year and told him to just recharge it. I told him the dealer couldn't find any leaks so he agreed to just recharge the system.

David Serrano
I don't recall if I told the story about my VW snuffing it with high pressure fuel pump failure. Did I tell it?????????
VW dealer workshop quoted 10,700 AUD for repair. I purchased the component and with the labour it cost 1,300AUD. The repair included labour to replace time expired components timing belt and water pump. Not so great places these approved dealer workshops.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #605
woofa.express

I have been reluctant to take this story outside my local area because of some degree of loyalty, however my attitude has changed because of the thuggery standover tactics of blatant authority of our local government. My change of attitude is unrelated to this story.

Our shire has a worldwide reputation.

Malaysia has 2 states in Borneo, Sarawak on the west coast and Sabah on the north east. Sabah has the infamous towns (to Australians) of Tawau Sandakan and Ranau which is at the foot of Mt Kinabalu. The death march where Japanese soldiers marched 2700 soldiers to their death. Only 6 survived.

I know both Tawau and Ranau well. Never been to Sandakan and I’ve always regretted it as I did work only 30 miles from it. The town closest to where I did considerable work was Lahad Datu commonly called LaDatu. A shabby town with a mixture of shanty houses built on stilts over water and new semi high rise apartments which once looked okay but are now grubby with fungus. Lahad Datu did support a good supermarket not quite to western standards and a good hotel, the Executive again a good standard. Every other enterprise was of third world standards.

There were several banks but one only of western standards. The Standard Chartered. It did have bullet holes in the wall because it had been raided by Philippino pirates. The day they made their visit, the police and army quickly vacated town. The pirates emptied the armoury and they released the prisoners who immediately joined forces.

On one occasion the town had an influx of three western engineers and wives which made up the sole population of whites. They were there to pipe water throughout the town. Now back to the Standard Chartered Bank. Like western banks they provided an ATM or hole in the wall. One afternoon whilst withdrawing cash I was surprised find a western woman standing behind me. This was most unusual. Hello I said. She responded. And where do you come from I enquired. Germany she said and you she asked. From a small town in Australia that you would never would have heard of I replied. Just where she asked? Oh, you wouldn’t know it, just a small place. Do try me she insisted. Tocumwal I said. And then comes the punch line. “You live in that rotten Berrigan Shire.”

Well we all have complaints about our shire but I hadn’t thought its reputation was known in far away Europe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lahad datu.jpg (31.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg berrigan.jpg (35.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg germany.JPG (29.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #606
woofa.express

Unwanted guests.

It was a damp day in Wandoan which is a town in the north of the Darling Downs. My farmer/client/friend Lance Skerman and I were sitting stationary in his car at the local airstrip when we heard news of Elvis Presley’s death. Whilst that was a sad event I was never an Elvis fan. My favourites were more like Col Porter, Gerome Kern and Straus.
Lance spoke about his marriage to Jenny but more particularly about what happened on his honeymoon. No this doesn’t get personal, it’s what was happening back at his house. The house where he was to take his new bride to make their home. Two communities had moved in. The first were squatters. Thousands of them. Smelly little fellows that showed absolutely no respect to anyone. Otherwise known as rodents. Mice. Layers of them between the sheets and blankets on the beds. Cutlery draws, kitchen cupboards infact all cupboards and every little nook and cranny in the house and in the sheds, just everywhere.
The second group was the local farming community to try and clean the place up. They did a good job but I reckon the certain offensive smell would have lingered for a very long time. In addition to the locals the media also arrived and the footage was shown world wide. Lance says he never did get to see it. He also said the mouse plague simply disappeared to nowhere. He said the cats were numerous and fat.
I haven’t seen Lance and Jenny now for 39 years but have spoken to them on the phone. They remain married so Jenny must have accepted the situation and was tolerant for they remain married. The cartoon shows a babies pram, no they didn't arrive home from honeymoon with a baby it was just the funny I picked up on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mice plageu.JPG (46.1 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #607
woofa.express

My lovely Beechcraft Bonanza.

I bought it about 1990. Fast and easy to fly, popular with those who rode in it because of its speed and large windows. Great to do a beat-up in and spectacular to watch doing so.
I sold my business some years ago and found running private aeroplanes on a salary eroded savings rather rapidly. When there was absolutely nothing left in the engine like it was really run out I put the aeroplane in storage and some considerable time later gave it an upgrade with a new engine, a new prop, new paint and upholstery and glass and the repair of a messy past repair on the leading edge. I spent a considerable amount of money and lost a considerable amount when I sold it. But that’s aeroplanes and yachts and holiday homes when the economy is not booming.
This is a sad story and not a whinge. It went to a farming family only about 100 miles away and that was pleasing. They now had a nice aeroplane plus a helicopter. That was until late January. The biggest storm front I can ever remember, stretching more than 1,500 miles passed across eastern Australia. I saw it on internet radar and mentally noting not only the length but the depth and ferocity of this front. Well it blew in the new owners hangar doors and crushed the aeroplane plus cut their helicopter in half.
You would have to feel for them wouldn’t you. Also for my son Dennis who spent 3 months preparing it in fine detail both mechanically and appearance. Gary felt like he’d lost a member of his family.
Dennis tells me they will build a new hanger, one that could stand the force of an A Bomb.

Footnote. I get more use from my Model A and it is considerably less expensive to operate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vh-fwt.jpg (60.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 AM   #608
woofa.express

I'm sure you ex military fellows will enjoy this story.

Gentleman Bob Caldwell.

In an earlier story I mentioned my friend Bob Caldwell, a cropduster pilot and ex Vietnam helicopter pilot. Bob died in 1997 of prostate cancer. He was such a likeable and decent fellow. He is survived by his expat Australian wife Lorraine. She penned some facts of Bob and their life together. I include her writings unedited.

Dear Gary,
My dad was a rear gunner on Lancasters with RAAF 460 Sqd. based at Binbrook. He met my mother (a Lincolnshire lass) at a dance and they married in Grimsby when dad’s sorties were over. He then returned to Australia to go into the Pacific but thankfully the bomb put an end to that. Mum sailed to Australia and was in fact going through the Med on VE Day. (Dad’s side of the family goes back to convicts transported on different ships to Australia for seven years each. They met in the colony and married at St. James in Parramatta.)
Bob was on R&R in November,1968 when I met him. He was in Vietnam with the 195th AHC (Assault Helicopter Company). Most of its missions were with Special Forces taking the guys over the borders of Cambodia and Laos and then picking them up again. (Of course, it was all top secret as the US wasn’t supposed to be in those countries. They flew in camouflaged helicopters with no identification on either the helicopters or the guys in them. No ID tags, watches, etc, and were told there would be one attempt to rescue themand after that they were on their own.) I’m sure Bob showed you his helmet with the bullet hole through it. He was awarded the DFC along the way. After Vietnam, he was a flight instructor at Fort Woltersin TX, and went into ag flying when he left the Army in 1970.
His dad, Byron, was a civilian flight instructor during America’s involvement in WWII teaching young men to fly. He was in his 30s and deemed too old to go overseas, plus he was colour blind. Byron had learned to fly in 1929 at Mines Field in Los Angeles. It is now LAX and has evolved from a bean field to what it is today. Byron started Caldwell Flying Service in 1946 flying Cubs, Travelairs and Stearman and when Bob and I started buying him and Evelyn out in 1977, we graduated to Ag Cats and then to 100% Thrushes … radials and then turbines. We operated just west of Williams, CA, until 1998 when I sold the business. (By the way, Gene still flies there.)
Bob started with Rob in 1991/92. That really was his dream job where he could happily fly all day and then just leave his plane for someone else to maintain, arrange crew,etc. We told him he was a real prima donna pilot down at Coly.
That’s probably the main info you wanted. Oh, the photo you included. That was takenin 1997 in SFO. We left a couple of days later (the four of us) and went to the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Assoc. reunion in Orlando, Florida. On our return, it was all downhill for dear Bob and he died on Oct. 1st.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Take care.
Cheers, Lorraine

The place name Coly is Coleambally in Australia where Bob flew in his off season.
Loraine’s dad took a war bride from Britain and Bob took a war bride from Australia. They have 2 sons, one of which served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
A sad situation for Bobs parents was not only Bob’s passing but his brother, whose name I don’t know. He was killed in an aeroplane accident on his 21stbirthday. . The loss of their two only children would have been dismal and depressing for them.
From story number 28 from May 2018.
Bob flew an Iroquois helicopter (Huey) in Vietnam. He was in fact shot whilst flying. A lone bullet entered the ear piece of his helmet on the right hand side and made an exit on the left hand side. If Bob did not believe in God at the time I think he would have following that shot. For some reason the projectile skirted around the back ofthe helmet before making the exit.

I can confirm this as I have held the helmet and inspected the entry, track and exit. Difficult to believe? Yes. In the right hand side and out the left. The military stores issued a new helmet and next day returned the damaged one to Bob for him to souvenir.

Bob was the owner of a Model A coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caldwell's.jpg (45.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #609
woofa.express

A new Handle for Gary.

When I was a primary school kid I had 2 front teeth broken when I collided with Michael Vanstone. I carried this condition until my late 20’s when our local dentist, Bud Ford capped them with gold. Gold is pliable thus it was the medium used.
Some time about the mid nineties I was spraying cotton at Walget NSW on the Darling River. One of these farmers in particular was a scallywag and put a new handle on me. “Gary Glitter”. My new name became well known very quickly and no doubt they all had a good chuckle at my expense.
Some years later the adhesive holding the gold in place failed on one so it was back to the dentist and this time replaced with a whitecap. This was not so much in your face I had the second replaced in white aswell and so my new name no longer had reason to exist.
So as you can make a comparison I show the 2 gary’s below.It’s a bit like the 2 Ronnies isn’t it. Do you have that English show in America?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glitter.jpg (44.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg gary.JPG (36.6 KB, 13 views)

Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #610
woofa.express

There is an additional stark difference. Glitter was sentenced to 16 years prison for kiddie fiddling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jail.JPG (47.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #611
woofa.express

What a contrast.

Some years ago I attended a Model A National Meeting held at Glenelg near Adelaide S.A. The presentation dinner was an eye opener to me. The appetites of these attendees was enormous. More and more had to be prepared for their gargantuan hunger. Sweets aswell. The hotel staff too said they had never seen anything like it. Now what was surprising was the large selection of good wine in the centre of the table that was hardly touched. They seemed to be eaters and not drinkers.
I’ve been to many agricultural aeroplane operator meetings and found my buddies had tiny appetites. But boy did they have raging thirsts. The ability to clean up liquor like there’s no tomorrow. What a contrast to that Model A Meeting.

I had never seen anything like it until I went on a cruise liner and watched some Americans who didn’t eat off plates but ate off platters. But don’t take offence, many Australians can match them particularly Model A drivers and I too am partial to a good meal and don't mind a drink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver big meal.JPG (34.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg drunk pilot 2.JPG (18.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-19-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #612
woofa.express

• These are the wonders of the world as seen by Gary. There are of course many places I haven’t seen.
  • Rocky outcrops protruding from the water on approach to and within Da Nang harbour, Vietnam. These island outcrops were numerous and spectacular. Patsy and I took a cruise out of Hong Kong down to Viet Nam. At daylight we peered out our port hole window to see a rock protruding from out of the water only about 200 feet off the starboard side and about 80 foot high. We took fright because the Costa Concordia was fresh on our minds. Remember the cruise liner that ran aground on the rocks in southern Italy. And we were on a liner operated by the same company. Concern aside, it is the most amazing sight I have ever seen.
  • The Grand Canyon. Everyone would be astounded at this remarkable spectacle. The erosion that has taken place over millions of years. The colours and the immense area it covers. I had a young pilot fly me over here. He did a good job with commentary and aircraft handling especially engine handling on both assent and descent. I was impressed. Whoever taught him did a good job. This was in 1992 so I guess he is an airliner captain or maybe a cropduster now and that would be good.
  • Vancouver harbour as we departed on an ocean liner on a sunny afternoon. Water surface was rippled and with the sun reflecting off it the sight was splendid. The last of the snow on the peaks which formed the backdrop. Snow covered peaks is something we don’t have in Australia.
  • Gibber desert and salt lakes of South Australia. Real outback. Extensive areas of desert of small stone. I’d run the wheels of my aeroplane over parts of it. Then it would turn to sandy desert. In front of the aeroplane, maybe 200 yards the rabbits would run to their burrows. They sometimes built up to major plagues but the introduction of virus’s ( 2 with a break of several years between) cleaned them out. The lowest land in Australia is lake Ayre. It is seldom full. The water starts about 700 miles north and spreads to maybe 80 miles wide and covers a large area of land and when it subsides it leaves hundreds of square miles of fodder for livestock. When lake Ayre is dry it is white because of salt exposure. I think this is when it looks it’s very best. If you stay at Oodnadatta you can have a salt water shower and feel uncomfortable when you dry off and dress. I used to avoid it.
  • Coastal swamps of Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory. Featuring big tidal rivers with crocodiles. Simular on the south west side of Darwin on the Daly River but treeless swamps. Here lived hundreds and hundreds of water buffalo and thousands of pigs. I used to muster them up with either aeroplane or helicopter just for the fun. In both these areas I transported geologists doing uranium exploration.
  • Mountains protruding high out of the ocean in Sulawesi (Indonesia). Specifically the isthmus on the north east side. I’ll attach a map so you readers can see where. High mountains dropped sharply into the ocean and only a few feet from shore the ocean turned black with the depth. I did once read that this area would become a tourist destination sometime in the future. The sea around the north east side of Borneo was simular and many large lighted fishing boats could be seen working here at night.
  • Coastal villages in Borneo. This is where the locals live in crude wooden houses amongst the palm trees. When I’d fly past the kids would get excited and wave like crazy. The men would catch fish in the shallow water with nets. In the deeper water they’d use canoes with an outrigger. Their lives appeared idyllic. Small vans would take them to town at times. These vans would pack people in just like they were sardines. I don’t know where they gained their income. At low tide never ending and extensive area of trash (plastic bags) would be revealed. Malaysians have no concept of cleanliness or care.
  • Villages and human activity along the Nile River in Sudan. This is a busy place. Mud housing and activity. This once was a very extensive area of farming and many would have derived their income from this. I am told the civil war trashed the irrigation infrastructure and farming industry. In the poorer areas one could find grass huts. Camels were a common sight. They have the most ungainly walk. Cattle herders too could often be seen but these were not common in the irrigation area. A herd was a persons savings and his status would be judged on the number he owned.

I must conclude with the most disappointing thing. In Malaysia and Indonesia large areas of jungle were cleared to grow oil palms. No areas were kept for the animals. Near Kalabakan in the north east of Borneo where I worked, the elephants revolted and would pull palms out of the ground. Electric fences were erected to exclude them. The nearest jungle could be 50 or even 100 miles away in areas which were considered unsuitable for palm. Macaque monkeys had no trees. I would see whole families on the roadside with nowhere to go. They don’t live in palms. I’m not a socialist radical but I did feel sorry for these animals and others that were left homeless.

These pictures are off the internet. I do have similar in my collection but it is on external drive and I can’t find my connecting chord. I can’t find a picture of Vancouver harbour as I viewed it nor the mountains rising out of the ocean in Sulawesi but a map and the spectacular part is the north east.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg da nang.JPG (30.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg grand canyon.JPG (113.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gibber desert.JPG (20.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg coastal village malaysia.JPG (56.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg daily river.JPG (22.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg village on nile.JPG (69.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg palm sabah.JPG (99.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #613
woofa.express

I wasn't able to fit all the pictures pertaining to the previous story so they are here.
A map of Sulawesi and the spectacular part is the north east, the isthmus.
The second is a Sudanese farmer in national costume which is a jelabiya pronounced gel a beer. A long white cloth is twisted and wound around their head to protect them from the heat.

Sorry, I've only just noticed the head gear is a religious cap which I remember as being worn by only those who have been to Mecca.
Not the head gear I described above.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg salawesi.JPG (24.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg farming in the gazera.JPG (34.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #614
woofa.express

Contradiction to Yesterday’s story.

There is a contradiction in yesterdays story. Here is an explanation.
The middle eastern, the Islamic peoples ran government in the north and Khartoum is the capital. African people populated the south and they were predominantly Christians. The north imposed Sharia law on the south and they resented this. Thus civil war starting in 1953 and lasting some 22 years. Since then war has been on again and off again when oil wealth became an issue. The south gained independence in 2011 and since they have had an internal civil war, over who is going to govern. These civil wars have displaced more refuges than any other conflict in history.
The Nile River has two branches, the White Nile on the western side and the Blue Nile on the eastern side. These join at Khartoum and an extensive farmed area called the Gazera is located along the Blue Nile. Farmers are granted 20 fidans (acres) of which half must be grown to cotton and that’s where I was involved.
The farmers are of middle eastern origin and that’s where yesterdays contradiction occurred. The African farmer wearing Islamic headgear.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #615
woofa.express

Lucky to have made it on time.

I have written more than 500 stories in this link and it’s difficult to remember just what I have and have not written. So if I tell the same one again please forgive me.
The best radial engine overhauls are by Aero engines in L.A.and Covington in Oklahoma. I had purchased off both. I speak of the shipment of one.
I was notified by the shipper my engine was available for pickup in Sydney so off I went. I drove my half ton ute and whilst it was relatively small it was fast and easy to drive. I knew it wouldn’t hold the crate in which the engine was packaged so I took a frame. It was my intention to remove it from the crate, place it on the frame which fitted nicely on the small tub or as an American would say, on the bed.
Well the crate was grubby, oily and well used and this did surprise me. When I disassembled it I found a very oily and well used engine. It was not mine but infact one being returned by another operator for overhaul. This is what had happened. My newly overhauled engine in a smart wooden crate was to be returned by error. It was already in a 40 foot container and was scheduled to be loaded on board a sea freighter that afternoon. There was only just a few hours remaining for it’s retrieval and the exchange was made.

Now, cut to the chase. I wonder where that saying originated so I looked it up and quote it below. Well back to my story. I was telling a group of friends and two said “weren’t you angry”. Well hell no infact I was most pleased. Pleased I was in time to rectify the error made by the importer-exporter. Would I have been angry had I discovered this after the boat had sailed. No. I would have been most disappointed and suffered considerable anxiety. I would have asked the importer-exporter to rectify by air freighting another at their cost. Would they have done this? Yes, if they were reasonable and fair.

The quote. Copied and pasted from Wikipedia.

Cut to the chase" is a phrase that means to get to the point without wasting time. The saying originated from early film studios' silent films. It was a favourite of, and thought to have been coined by, Hal Roach Sr.

I really don't know how Hal Roach Sr. could say '"cut to the chase in a silent film but maybe it was in print on the screen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r 1340.JPG (64.2 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #616
40 Deluxe

Lucky to have made it on time.[/FONT][/I][/B]

I really don't know how Hal Roach Sr. could say '"cut to the chase in a silent film but maybe it was in print on the screen?[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

MY explanation would be that a staple of silent movies was a chase of some sort-a car chase, horse chase, stage coach chase, foot chase, etc. Hal Roach was a director, I believe. So when some action was needed to wake up the audience, he would tell the film crew to "cut to the chase".
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 AM   #617
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Lucky to have made it on time.[/FONT][/I][/B]

I really don't know how Hal Roach Sr. could say '"cut to the chase in a silent film but maybe it was in print on the screen?[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/SIZE]
MY explanation would be that a staple of silent movies was a chase of some sort-a car chase, horse chase, stage coach chase, foot chase, etc. Hal Roach was a director, I believe. So when some action was needed to wake up the audience, he would tell the film crew to "cut to the chase".[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct Mr Deluxe. I looked him up on Wikipedia.A movie director who lived to be over 100 yo. 1892 to 1992. I have cut and pasted a brief. Cheers, gary.

Harold Eugene Roach Sr. was an American film and television producer, director, and actor who was active from the 1910s to the 1990s. He is best known today for producing the Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang film comedy series. Wikipedia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roach 1.JPG (31.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg roach 2.JPG (29.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #618
woofa.express

I guess you too get nuisance calls.

Aren’t they pesky. How do you handle them. Most people get nasty and yell something unpleasant into the phone. I don’t, I try to irritate them and make a challenge out of it. I lead them on.
When they say my internet is about to be closed down I keep them for as long as possible and when the conversation is exhausted I say “there must be some sort of error for I don’t have internet.” They become annoyed because I have wasted their time. Some times they tell you so.
You owe the tax dept. I ask why? For how long? Am I accruing interest etc etc. When you can’t run the conversation any longer say okay, I will pay, just put a bill in the post.
When they try to sell ‘Viagra’ I ask about the improved performance I might expect, extra dimensions, side effects, time it takes to become effective, how long to wear off and eventually say “I’m a little sorry now I’ve had a sex change.
At times they ask for Patsy (wife) and I say she eloped with her lover and gone to live in Provence in France. I keep them talking but have poor hearing and ask them to repeat. They eventually hang up.
If they say they need to speak to Gary we talk, again for as long as I can string it out then I explain I am Gary's son with the same name. My dad was run over and killed by a truck only 5 days ago. Mostly they offer condolences.
When I was working in South Australia I had continual calls requesting Mr Brown. I’d explain he was on the floor blood running from his mouth and it looks like he’d been shot in the chest. Sometimes the request changed to Mrs. Brown (not to be confused with the bawdy one on TV) . I’d say she too looked to be in similar situation followed by “I think I’d better be off because I could hear the cops coming.
Just try to waste their time. They don’t like it. It’s get even.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nuesence calls.JPG (40.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 06-25-2019, 06:26 AM   #619
woofa.express

Pesky Sales people.

I don’t often visit shopping centres. Crowded and claustrophobic. Urban people wearing synthetic clothing. Young and old men with ear rings and tattoos. Girls and women also wearing tattoos. And some of course with differing sexual preferences. In these shopping complexes there is always an upmarket car there to be raffled. Maybe a BMW or Mercedes or similar. A salesperson will approach, smile and say “how would you like that parked in your driveway?”. I take a good look around the vehicle, taking my time, come back to the sales person, look them in the eyes, smile and say “not particularly”.Their respective reactions are always mixed but all of them are immediately deflated.
I have another favourite. If I’m looking at a product displayed on a show room floor or at an agricultural show and am approached by a salesperson. The conversation starts with the usual pleasantries. Then the sales pitch starts and the question ‘would you like it?’ I always say yes then add but I don’t have the money. With the speed they disappear one would think I had some contagious disease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slick salesmant.JPG (28.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 06-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #620
woofa.express

Just how do the Police recruit their Highway Cops.

What criteria is required to be eligible to become a highway cop. I sometimes think the lowest IQ that is measurable. Being easy to be despised is another. Maybe it’s just a local Australian thing? Are our cops of a typical world class of low standard.
At times the pettiness of a fine or warning irritates the receiver they go to the media who are of course pleased to provide publicity. One such this morning. A paraplegic fellow had a battery powered electric assist motor on his wheel chair. It was able to achieve speeds in excess of 10 kilometresper hour (6mph). Collin Dawson, 55, from Alice Springs was pulled over and told to pay for registration and insurance.

Cobar is a somewhat isolated town in central NSW and has a population of 3,900 and 4,700 in the whole shire. Mining is the main industry, copper, silver and zinc. The nearest towns are Nyngan 80 miles east with a population of 2,200 and Bourke which is exactly 100 miles north with a population of 1,800. A B Double truck is a semitrailer pulling a trailer and is permitted a max length of 82 feet. Many B Doubles are trucking hay and fodder from the south to an extensive drought areas in the north of the state and Queensland. One such driver stopped in Cobar for a meal and a sleep and was fined for parking a long vehicle in the town area. The dunny brush must go to the issuing officer.

Another incident that sticks in my memory happened back in the 1980’s. This one gets the gong. It was in Perth WA, a woman with a baby in a pusher heard a police siren behind and was surprised when the police car stopped at her side. She was reprimanded for not having sufficient tread on the pram tyres. The media went to the police station where the officer served to seek an explanation. Probably to ridicule the cop really and was told by the officer in charge that prams too must have tread on their tyres. That cop would have to be as stupid as the cop who stopped and reprimanded the woman.

I’ve travelled extensively and never seen so much police pettiness as I have here in Australia. I call the cops and tell them of my dislike for them, the highway cops that is. I tell them they are despised in the community. I write to them likewise. They call me and come and visit endeavouring to do good with PR. I am not abusive and present with good manners in giving them my thoughts. I don’t think they dislike me for it but they don’t like me either.

As a footnote. My friend Ken was told by a policeman that not all highway cops are c***s, but all the c***s in the police force are highway patrol officers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg highway cop..JPG (33.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg equals.JPG (29.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg taxes 2.jpg (42.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.