Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
revkev6

Default 1957 lincoln parts availability

hey guys, I've kinda gotten caught up watching a bunch of youtube videos where guys take older cars and get them running again. mostly this is 50s cars that are in decent shape body wise and then sell them so they can work on the next one... it looks like fun to me. I've been looking at cars for sale that might be fun to work on and drive for a bit before finding the next project. Just recently a 1957 lincoln premiere 4dr popped up. it's not a hugely desirable car but it's pretty cool looking and it's a hardtop so not too bad even being a 4dr. loaded with all the options including AC and power seats. how tough is it for basic parts availability to get one of these beasts working mechanically?? PS,PB,AC,PW etc.... plus these have the big lincoln Y-block with a fordomatic behind them... should I pass and start with a simple little ford that doesn't have all the complicated expensive parts? I was expecting to find that most of the parts would be available as they would cross over to ford but upon looking I think I'm mistaken.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Oldmics
BANNED

Default Re: 1957 lincoln parts availability

Respectfully , Learn to swim in shallow waters before attempting to go in as deep as an old Lincoln.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
Respectfully , Learn to swim in shallow waters before attempting to go in as deep as an old Lincoln.

Oldmics

well, I wouldn't say I'm learning to swim, I'm just unfamiliar with the particulars of the lincolns. I currently own a 28 ford and am building a 32. both are filled with earlier ford parts though. flatheads, 3 speeds and banjo rears are my forte.... power steering, power brakes etc are new fangled contraptions

but, "go in as deep as an old lincoln" is a statement that gives me pause.... complex, unreliable or no parts or all of the above??
Old 06-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
56sedandelivery

Some cars there are just no parts around. Heck I am having enough problems finding parts for my 5 which is fairly common. I would research and see what is available for it.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post
Some cars there are just no parts around. Heck I am having enough problems finding parts for my 5 which is fairly common. I would research and see what is available for it.

this is step two of my research. i looked at a few common parts suppliers like rock auto and such and there was little available so I came here to confirm my suspicions.

the goal with the car would be just to get it mechanically sound enough to drive it. with my 28 roadster, believe it or not I get a bit tired of looking at the weather every half hour (I do live in new england) worried if it's going to get wet..... if the car turned out to be solid, I might keep it long enough to let my 10 year old son see if it's something he's interested in.....
Old 06-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Oldmics
BANNED

Thanks for the informative reply.

If you decide to give it a whirl - these guys need to be on your "go to" list

https://www.lincolnoldparts.com/

These were upscale , gadget loaded vehicles of their time.

Complex to the max due to limited production and the new fangled ideas of the era (think "air conditioning")

Miles of wiring and relays combined with complex vaccum systems for HVAC.

They can be conquered but its a battle. Absolutley get every availiable Mercury period correct manual for guideance if you go for it.

And finally some Ford parts do transfer but most are Lincoln specific. Not much support availiable from the aftermarket suppliers.

I wish you well.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
scicala

You can try this old Lincoln forum for parts and info too.

Sal

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/index.php
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
drtrcrV-8

You may find ROCK AUTO PARTS is your best friend for the most common parts.... Also THE ROAD RACE LINCOLN CLUB(RRLC) and LINCOLN & CONTINENTAL CLUB(LCOC)will have information, sources, etc. I'd also recommend '57-'58 MOTOR'S MANUAL and '57-'58 CHILTON'S MANUAL : Both of the later will get you through the most of the ordinary "stuff". Fortunately these Y-Block Lincolns, having been sourced from the Ford Commercial dept are almost bulletproof if given regular care. Enjoy!!
drtrcrV-8 is offline   Reply With Quote