Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
New2modelA

Default 239 V8 serial number decoder

Happy Sabbath Men!

I am looking for a simple, easy to read chart to break down & decode Flathead block serial numbers for now & for future use?

I have a one piece "bell cast with the block" engine, Code C13511 "59" I was told this is a 1948, 239 by the fellow that sold it to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you...enjoy the day!
Chris Kennedy
New2modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: 239 V8 serial number decoder

There are no serial numbers on blocks With the integral bell housing.. All Transmissions were stamped from the factory with the vehicle serial number that matched the frame. But you can narrow down the year by features on the engine block as the fellow that sold your engine did.
Now some 49 to 53 flat head blocks with a separate bell housing did have a date code stamped into the top of the block in the rear near the intake surface. I say some because they all do not have it.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

There really are no block serial numbers. If you have the transmission that came with the block it will have the VIN of the car it was installed in. That can kind of tell you where in the production line sequence it was likely made. There are lists of the VIN for each year, starting and ending. They start at #1 in 32 and continue in order.
There are several block 'types". 1932 is a 21 stud block with poured babbit mains, 33-36 are similar 21 stud engines with all but the late 36 blocks also having babbit mains, 37 to mid 38 are 21 stud blocks with insert bearings and water pumps in the block (earlier blocks had water pumps in the heads) late 38-41 are 24 stud engines, (Mercury engines might be 3 3/16 bore), 41 blocks have what appears to be a raised area where the intake bolts but actually, it is not raised, the surrounding metal is lower. All Ford engines to this point are 221 cu 3 1/16th bore. After WW2, the 46-8 blocks have a 59 cast on the bellhousing are 239 CI and have 3 3/16 bore. There are other features but this is good thumbnail way to know what you are looking at. During WW2 43-45 there were all kinds of things being made for the military when domestic production was halted. 49-53 engines have a removable bell housing (some 48 trucks had this type block too I believe)
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2modelA View Post
I have a one piece "bell cast with the block" engine, Code C13511 "59" I was told this is a 1948, 239 by the fellow that sold it to me.

Sorry, but even though your code begins with a "C" like many Canadian serial numbers do, this list of Canadian numbers below doesn't show anything similar to your "code". Suffice it to say that the "59" cast on the bell most-definitely puts it in the '46 thru '48 range, all three years of which are essentially identical. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
CA Victoria

So yall’ i Just came across this on the flatheaddrag.com. website.
A serial number for (some) Flathead blocks?
http://www.flatheaddrag.com/birthday.html
I found a number on my 1950 8BA block is XXXXX SC CAL. The pickup came from the Long Beach Ca assembly plant.
Until reading this and seeing the second similar number I thought it was from a rebuilder.
Now stamped into the left front of a 59AB block of unknown origin is KA XXXXX CAL
While the numbers do not follow the sequence stated in the article, the two are similar and the stamps are identical.
Interesting similarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97B43B55-5757-4AC1-B163-73CD9014E087.jpg (75.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
So yall’ i Just came across this on the flatheaddrag.com. website.
A serial number for (some) Flathead blocks?
http://www.flatheaddrag.com/birthday.html
I found a number on my 1950 8BA block is XXXXX SC CAL. The pickup came from the Long Beach Ca assembly plant.
Until reading this and seeing the second similar number I thought it was from a rebuilder.
Now stamped into the left front of a 59AB block of unknown origin is KA XXXXX CAL
While the numbers do not follow the sequence stated in the article, the two are similar and the stamps are identical.
Interesting similarity.

Sorry, but closer scrutiny will show that your numbers do NOT strictly follow the form or font of Ford's stamps, either the early NOR the revised renditions. I believe someone stamped those figures on your block at a later date. Thanks to Mac VP for this example. DD

xxxxxx

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
CA Victoria

Got it, good info.
(Just reread my post-should have said date code not serial number)

Last edited by CA Victoria; 01-10-2020 at 08:02 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote