Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
foxfire42

Default Starting problem

I have a very cold blooded 34 V8. Even when the battery is fully charged it turns over slowly and won't start. Once in a while it will be turning over slowly then speedup and finally start. I had it in a reputable shop that only works on Model A's and FH V8's. I've had everything checked. Timing is correct and it has a new coil etc. He added a fuel pump and it started fine while at the shop. Now it's back to it's old self and not always starting.

If it's turning over fast it usually starts. Would a battery with 800CCA work better or should I go with a 8V just for starting and use a resister to keep the rest on 6V?
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Fourdy

Default Re: Starting problem

If not done so already, I might suggest cleaning all battery connections including grounds. I have found that doing so has saved a lot of time in analyzing a problem.

Just my .02 and good luck

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Phil Gillespie

Have a 34 coupe with 36 motor. Still running 6v it starts up extremely well. Just the hint of a start and it jumps into life immediately.
Suggest as previous to check all battery connections and grounds. Also condition of plugs, points, distributor etc.
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Steves46

If the other tips you received do not show any improvement, you may want to pull the starter and have it bench checked-it may be getting tired. Steve
Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Hi foxfire42, Since others have suggested checking your grounds, I'm copying and pasting from a post that my dear old dad put up back in 2011. He was sorta passionate about the subject. It's from this thread...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ht=henryat1140

<Soapbox Mode = ON>

The stock 36 Ford starting system is more than adequate for the job. What it ABSOLUTELY needs is good crud-free, tight, shiny connections. The important joints to examine are:

Ground Circuit

1. The battery cables/posts. Here you need clean tight contact. Just tightening the battery cable bolts is often not enough - you should remove the cable, and using a wire brush and emery paper clean the mating surfaces. reattach and wiggle the cables and verify they are securely installed.

2. The next most crucial connection is where the positive cable attaches to ground. Originally this was a cable from the battery to a bolt on the universal joint, but you can relocate the end of the cable to a nearby hole in the x member of the frame. Use an abrasive pad or emery paper to ensure the the connection is hospital clean and shiny, and secure the cable so the terminal end makes maximum contact with the metal frame. This ensures the frame and anything connected to it is at ground potential.

3. Next you want to make sure the engine and the frame are electrically connected. You can run a cable from one of the right hand bell housing bolts over to a nearby hole on the frame on the passenger's side. Again shiny and tight are important. Clean both the bell housing and the frame where the cable attaches. You can use a ground strap for this (Macs or C&G supply) or even a heavy gauge wire 10 gauge or so with appropriately sized terminal ends.

These three steps are the foundation of a well performing 6 volt electrical system. Without them, i.e. a good ground throughout you will never get the rest of the system to work well.

'Hot' side

1. Check the negative battery cable and terminal for cleanliness and tightness as described above.

2. The starter switch has two terminal connections. Take each one loose and using a wire brush or emery paper, clean the cable ends and the terminal posts. Reattach securely.

3. The last link in the chain is the connection to the top of the starter. Again, same old refrain, clean shiny and tight.

You may think these steps are tedious, but it costs nothing to do this, and will eliminate much of the troubles associated with the 6 Volt system, slow cranking, dim lights, low starting endurance to mention a few. It is my opinion that until you have performed this sequence of steps, you really have not done what is necessary to move on to the next step, diagnosing whether a component has failed.

Although this is specifically responding to a 36 starting problem, it is equally relevant for ANY 6 volt electrical problem, and any brand of automobile. Electrical problem? Check the connections first; CLEAN, SHINY and TIGHT!!!

You must also have a well charged and healthy 6 Volt battery to begin with. And as another poster mentioned, be sure you have 6 volt cables, not cables for 12 volt systems, also you need to look closely to see the cables are not a small diameter gauge wire with a heavy insulation.

<Soapbox mode = OFF>

I'm sorry to run on like this, but we get recurring questions about electrical problems, and if there is a post like this describing the preliminary steps, we can simply refer new posts to this one.

Other contributions, or opinions welcomed.

Henry
Last edited by Henryat1140; 12-18-2011 at 08:40 AM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Get some heavy duty or jumper leads and run a extra ground from the ground on the battery to the starter bolt on the end cap ,try a start ,see if it comes alive ,also one from hot side of battery direct to the hot terminal on the starter ..Make the contact to start you will get sparks but it will tell you if there's a problem in your starter switch ,It this makes a difference then you should up grade your cables to welding cable wire ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Lawrie

Also, If thinking of replacing the battery use an optima 6v,that and fixing the earth connections made my 34 start great.
lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
billwill

Are you usingsix or twevle cables
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
foxfire42

Thanks to all for the suggestions and especially trying the easiest first. At 71 my body doesn't cooperate too well crawling under the car so I took FlatheadTeds idea of using jumper cables and ran from the ground side to a solid ground on the engine. With it chocked at 3/4 it fired right up. Now to read all of VeryTangled Dad's post I should be home free. I may also invest in an Optima. I have one in my Model A and I love it.

foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Ken Bull

Ditto on the Optima 6V also its only 3 1/2" wide and fits nicely in the RH side of engine compartment...Why Henry put it under the drivers floor Iis beyond imagination.
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
1930pu

I don't know if you happen to have a battery disconnect, but I had one with the green knob on it mounted to the battery. My 1937 v8 was very slow starting took off the disconnect and spins alot faster.
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Mike in AZ

swap the optima into the '34 and see what happens....are you in AZ now??....where??....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
26 roadster

Put your ground cable straight to your starter bolt,,,,,
26 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote